Spyderco multi-tool?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NWPilgrim

Spyderco multi-tool?

Post by NWPilgrim »

Having recently gotten back into Spyderco knives I really enjoy the quality of build and the variety of designs, steels and blade shapes. I also enjoy seeing that Sal and Eric are so active in the knife community. I notice there are no Spyderco multi-tools. Are there any plans to bring out a line of multis?

I have a couple of Leatherman Waves, a LM Sidekick, a Gerber, and some LM But I am disappointed that Leatherman being a local prominent business actively supports liberal state and national politicians who typically work against knife and gun rights. They make quality tools but I just can’t buy LM products anymore. I would love to get a multitool with Spyderco quality, ingenuity and active development.

Choice of blades like a S35VN PE and a H1SE, pliers/wire cutters, or even just side cutters, drivers for flathead, Philips, Torx like a 6 and 8, saw, file, Marlin spike. Any chance of ever seeing such a tool from Spyderco?
Sumdumguy

Re: Spyderco multi-tool?

Post by Sumdumguy »

They already made the Spyderwrench. I don't know how well it went over.

They cost alot now.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

They have the Clipitools which are closer to a SAK than an actual multitool, but the SpydeRench and ByrdRench are as close as they've come to a Leatherman tool. Neither sold well enough to stay in the lineup for long. You can never be certain what Spyderco might do next, but they do learn from mistakes.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

A Spyderco multitool whether it's an original design or a collaboration with a multitool company would be awesome.

I think a one-piece-multitool/prybar would be more likely to be successful and I'd be very interested in one of these made by Spyderco. So many different possibilities and options with this platform.

I've been carrying either a Leatherman Sidekick or a CRKT Eat'N Tool for a few years now. That simple CRKT tool has been very handy with prying, scraping, screw driving, etc. I was just thinking yesterday about looking at other options to replace the CRKT with.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:45 am

They cost alot now.
I just saw a youtube vid about the spyderwrench yesterday, and it was a really cool design. I also wonder how it sold, and if they'd ever release it again.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
PStone

Post by PStone »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:17 pm
A Spyderco multitool whether it's an original design or a collaboration with a multitool company would be awesome.

I think a one-piece-multitool/prybar would be more likely to be successful and I'd be very interested in one of these made by Spyderco. So many different possibilities and options with this platform.

I've been carrying either a Leatherman Sidekick or a CRKT Eat'N Tool for a few years now. That simple CRKT tool has been very handy with prying, scraping, screw driving, etc. I was just thinking yesterday about looking at other options to replace the CRKT with.
I have been using the CRKT Viva for about 3 years now. Check that one out. Has a belt loop hanger so it doesn’t eat up any pocket space. I also have a leatherman6 on a set of work keys that gets used a ton for the same stuff you mention(prying, scraping, wrench in a pinch, etc) Very simple one piece tools that are incredibly useful. I can only wish Spyderco would produce their own version!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm always open to the idea, but it's going to take a serious MT to replace my Spirit.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Gerber and Leatherman multi-tools and SAKs are in my desk drawer.
Never liked them enough to keep them on my belt or in my pocket.
By contrast, the Spyderco ClipiTool Standard has been my EDC ever since the day I got it.
It is first and foremost a folding knife. Whereas it does not have many tools, it has the ones I use the most.
This thread has pictures comparing it to a SAK.
The Tactical Bottle Opener
It would be easy to add other blades or tools to the Standard.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mad Mac wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:21 pm
Gerber and Leatherman multi-tools and SAKs are in my desk drawer.
Never liked them enough to keep them on my belt or in my pocket.
By contrast, the Spyderco ClipiTool Standard has been my EDC ever since the day I got it.
It is first and foremost a folding knife. Whereas it does not have many tools, it has the ones I use the most.
This thread has pictures comparing it to a SAK.
The Tactical Bottle Opener
It would be easy to add other blades or tools to the Standard.
Thx for the link. Nice to see comparisons with a SAK.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

The ClipiTool is a nice start. But I think Spyderco could do well in the all metal multi-plier segment as well. I don’t think they need a lot of tool models. Maybe a small and larger one. It would be neat to make it easy for the user to replace tools themselves so it could be customized in endless combinations.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:39 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:45 am

They cost alot now.
I just saw a youtube vid about the spyderwrench yesterday, and it was a really cool design. I also wonder how it sold, and if they'd ever release it again.
They did one re-release of it that I know of. That is not including the Byrdwrench.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Call me crazy but I prefer a more standard form factor. The adjustable wrench was a neat idea but I find actual pliers to be much more useful. The main selling point of a Spyderco tool is the blade, so if they just make a standard layout tool with all the essential bits but then also add a thumb hole opening blade it would be a winner in my book. Lots of companies make very good tools but the style and layout of the tools is critical for my uses so that's where it needs to excel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I’d love to see another Spyderco multi tool.

I’ve had a bunch of Leathermans, and they’re good, useful tools, but they’re not up to the same standard as Spyderco in materials and fit and finish IMHO.

One thing I find odd for a company that obviously prides itself on smart design, is how they don’t have one single multi tool model which allows proper OHO deployment for left handers, or a specific left handed model.

I mean, really.

Maybe I’m being a bit harsh, but I recall one of my lefty friends called the Sydney office to offer feedback, and discuss the issue with them, and was told ‘oh we’ve got a left hander here in the office and they say X model’ (for right handers) ‘is not too bad to use.’

No thanks. I feel like if it was Spyderco they would have listened and responded accordingly with CQI.

I never carry my Leathermans, I just have them stashed in packs, bags and vehicles etc.

Ok, rant over.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:46 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:17 pm

I have been using the CRKT Viva for about 3 years now. Check that one out. Has a belt loop hanger so it doesn’t eat up any pocket space. I also have a leatherman6 on a set of work keys that gets used a ton for the same stuff you mention(prying, scraping, wrench in a pinch, etc) Very simple one piece tools that are incredibly useful. I can only wish Spyderco would produce their own version!
I'll look into those. Thanks for the recommendation!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have the Leatherman signal LE and you would battle to get anything better at the $100 price range. See they are $120+ nowadays
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I would actually would prefer a multi-tool without a blade. Because I always have at least one Spyder on me, it seems like a waste of space ;) I also think a mult-tool should have multiple tools, not just two or three.

My Leatherman Micra works pretty well for my needs. If Spyderco made something similar, I would buy it.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Knifemom117

Post by Knifemom117 »

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for the the Byrd Harp is a great little multitool.
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:27 am
Call me crazy but I prefer a more standard form factor. The adjustable wrench was a neat idea but I find actual pliers to be much more useful. The main selling point of a Spyderco tool is the blade, so if they just make a standard layout tool with all the essential bits but then also add a thumb hole opening blade it would be a winner in my book. Lots of companies make very good tools but the style and layout of the tools is critical for my uses so that's where it needs to excel.
I find I use the wire cutter portion of the pliers more than the pliers part itself. But the cutters are recessed in the plier jaws so they are not ideal for trimming close. So I at least would be happy with mostly a side cutter with maybe plier flats at the tip. I think a pry tool would be innovative as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As an owner of two Spyderenches as well as being a very satisfied owner of a great Victorinox Swiss Tool X I would still like to see Spyderco take another shot at creating a great multitool>> and in this next go-around I would love to see one with a conventional type design. The problem with the Spyderench is that most people could never adapt to that type of Multi-Tool. Although I do use one of my Spyderench units from time to time I find myself using my Victorinox Swiss Tool X much more often.

But yes I would also like to see Spyderco come out with some type of conventional type multi-tool with their own concepts added to the overall design. Or if nothing else maybe they could do a collaboration with Victorinox. Because with all the multi-tools on the market I think Victorinox has the best you can get for the money>> so it would be awesome to see what the those two companies could come up with.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Multi-tools do not play to the Company's strength.
It's a very crowded and competitive field.
In my opinion, they have been wise to stay out of it.

The exception is the Standard, which plays to their strength.
Laser cut from sheets, drilled, ground, milled, threaded and screwed.
A serious blade and no forged bits or corkscrews that would have to be contracted out.
Thin and light enough to clip it to your jeans.
Spyderco trademark one handed opening of the blade and the tools.
A platform that will lend itself to multi-blades or other tools.
The future is bright.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.