Spyderco multi-tool?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PeaceInOurTime

Re: Spyderco multi-tool?

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Mad Mac, you're slowly convincing me that i need to try a Standard. And I agree, the future looks bright for that model. Maybe that's why I haven't tried it yet, just hoping for more capability in future iterations.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

NWPilgrim wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:49 am
Having recently gotten back into Spyderco knives I really enjoy the quality of build and the variety of designs, steels and blade shapes. I also enjoy seeing that Sal and Eric are so active in the knife community. I notice there are no Spyderco multi-tools. Are there any plans to bring out a line of multis?

I have a couple of Leatherman Waves, a LM Sidekick, a Gerber, and some LM But I am disappointed that Leatherman being a local prominent business actively supports liberal state and national politicians who typically work against knife and gun rights. They make quality tools but I just can’t buy LM products anymore. I would love to get a multitool with Spyderco quality, ingenuity and active development.

Choice of blades like a S35VN PE and a H1SE, pliers/wire cutters, or even just side cutters, drivers for flathead, Philips, Torx like a 6 and 8, saw, file, Marlin spike. Any chance of ever seeing such a tool from Spyderco?
I do like the idea that you have for which tools to incorporate though. But there are already multitools with S30V blades I think...if I'm remembering correctly. If it has been done already they would not be breaking new ground.

They could make a "knife multitool" of sorts that all knife collectors would want to own to work on their knives, with a few extra tools on it. T6 - 10, 12 and 15, knife, flathead small and large, Philips small and large. Some of the other things you mentioned would not be knife-centric.

If Sypderco is going to get in to this, and they are the premiere steel knife co in the world, then I don't think S35VN is what they should use. I'd suggest a blade that could be replaced, and have 3 interchangeable blades with varying steels that could fit the device. Maybe a DLC M4, S90V, and something else, maybe LC200N.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

Interchangeable blades is spot on! I like that with the various less common steels.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

I think spyderco would make a leatherman skeletool better than leatherman. Easy one hand opening and closing knife, with integrated pliers and a couple of screwdriver options, in a very compact package. Keep it simple.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

The Standard Clipitool is a move in a good direction. When I use my Swiss Army Knife there are a few things I always reach for.

#1. Mini Pliers = Use this allot.
#2. Phillips Head Screw Driver sticking out the edge of the knife not the back side.
#3. Scissors
#4. Can and bottle opener to lesser extents.
#5. A sharp pin for digging out splinters.

I think Spyderco could make a very good tool with these implements utilizing a Wharncliffe blade and it would be a good seller. Not sure about the 8Cr13MoV steel they use in their current lineup, how does it compare to the steel Swiss Army / Victorinox uses?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Why Can't Spyderco go back to the designer of the Spyderench and see what else he can come up with. It was a genius design and I would love to see what else this guy could bring forth.
But a collaboration with Victorinox would also be a really nice option too.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I'm still hoping for a SpydeRench 2; love mine and the only reason it's been replaced by a Leatherman Charge TTI when I need a multi-tool is because it's difficult to find a new one in good shape...

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:56 am
The Standard Clipitool is a move in a good direction. When I use my Swiss Army Knife there are a few things I always reach for.

#1. Mini Pliers = Use this allot.
#2. Phillips Head Screw Driver sticking out the edge of the knife not the back side.
#3. Scissors
#4. Can and bottle opener to lesser extents.
#5. A sharp pin for digging out splinters.

I think Spyderco could make a very good tool with these implements utilizing a Wharncliffe blade and it would be a good seller. Not sure about the 8Cr13MoV steel they use in their current lineup, how does it compare to the steel Swiss Army / Victorinox uses?
Those are the tools I find useful as well. Not so much the can opener, as most cans in Australia are ring pull pop tops, and it has a right hand bias, but I use it as a pot lifter when camping. I like the end out punch on the 93mm Alox models, and the wood saw as well. The flat head screwdriver/bottle opener is an excellent little pry tool.

As for the steel, Victorinox use 1.4110/X55CrMo14 for the blades at around 56 HRc. Spyderco's 8Cr13MoV is harder, stronger and more wear resistant. The Victorinox steel will likely be a bit tougher and more corrosion resistant. The SAK tools and springs are made out of slightly different steel grades at different hardnesses, appropriate to the function.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:13 am
...but I use it as a pot lifter when camping...
The hooky part of the cap lifter comes in handy for pulling stubborn clips free on tractor attachments.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

DutchBlades wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:35 am
I'm still hoping for a SpydeRench 2; love mine and the only reason it's been replaced by a Leatherman Charge TTI when I need a multi-tool is because it's difficult to find a new one in good shape...

I like that format for a multi-tool. I think an innovative approach to a Spyderco MT would be user replaceable tool(s). If at least one tool could be swapped out for task specific tool that would be fantastic. Prybar that works leverage along strength of the spine instead of crosswise against the handles. Or Marlin spike. Or file, or saw, or 5/32” punch, etc, or specialized blade.
Bern.Haz

Post by Bern.Haz »

I would give a kidney for a Spyderco multi-tool in LC200N! :spyder:
Kale

Post by Kale »

Bern.Haz wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:18 pm
I would give a kidney for a Spyderco multi-tool in LC200N! :spyder:
It would be a major bummer to leave a multitool outside overnight, only to find it covered in dew and rust the next day. As tools go, they're both difficult to clean and expensive to replace.
Kale

Post by Kale »

Catamount123 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:05 am
I would actually would prefer a multi-tool without a blade. Because I always have at least one Spyder on me, it seems like a waste of space ;) I also think a mult-tool should have multiple tools, not just two or three.

My Leatherman Micra works pretty well for my needs. If Spyderco made something similar, I would buy it.

I was thinking the same thing... no one is making the "Spyderco of Scissors." The closest might be the Leatherman Raptor, but that's more of a specialize tool. I imagine Spyderco could make something that would be lighter, faster to access, easier to clean, etc.

I really love the Leatherman Micra, but it's basically just a downscaled version of Leatherman's full-sized multitools. Although it's small, it's slightly awkward to use and feels like a lump of metal in your pocket. It's not designed user-first, like we've come to expect from Spyderco products.

Victorinox probably makes the most popular pocket scissors (the primary reason many people carry models like the Compact). Victorinox is great at what they do, and they do make very nice scissors, but it's hard to imagine a company that is more unlike Spyderco. When people think of Victorinox, they think of the time-honored Swiss tradition of carrying around hilarously impractical tools, like a tiny corkscrew or "all-purpose hook" (both of which are on the compact). There seems to be a lot of untapped demand for making the "Delica of Scissors."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DutchBlades wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:35 am
Hey DutchBlades I'm with you 100%. Even if they don't want to do another one of the designs that "Marty" ( Spyderench designer) has done they could still try to do a collaboration with Victorinox. A Spyderco version of the Swiss Tool X would be super awesome.

Yeah I realize that Knives and sharpening gear are Spyderco's main product line. To be 100% truthful from what I read in the "Spyderco Story" is that Spyderco first made sharpening tools before they ever made their first knives. Think on that one for a second>> because that just shows that Spyderco can succeed in almost anything in cutlery and tools related to cutlery.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

If Spyderco were to put effort into another multi tool I thing it should have a surprising feature: no blade. Multi tools always waste space on one or more blades. They rarely make *good* knives compared to dedicated knives.

I really just want pliers, wire cutter, some crude screwdriver tips, and a bottle opener. Otherwise I would just buy a Swiss Army knife. Kinda like the Gerber Dime, but I’d pay a lot more to get a decent an ok steel with good heat treatment.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:49 pm
If Spyderco were to put effort into another multi tool I thing it should have a surprising feature: no blade. Multi tools always waste space on one or more blades. They rarely make *good* knives compared to dedicated knives.

I really just want pliers, wire cutter, some crude screwdriver tips, and a bottle opener. Otherwise I would just buy a Swiss Army knife. Kinda like the Gerber Dime, but I’d pay a lot more to get a decent an ok steel with good heat treatment.

A bit off topic, but until Spyderco makes your multitool ;) , you could have a look at the knifeless LM Rebar... sure larger than a Gerber Dime, but the Rebar (with or without knife) is my personal favorite leatherman (together with the Juice series)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bern.Haz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Well, here is your multi-tool: the Spyderco ClipiTool Standard with a purposeful 3.5 inch blade, wire stripper, small and large screwdriver, a can opener and a bottle opener. Cheers!

My ClipiTool Standard Raw Photo Album

ClipiTool Standard Comparison and Narrative Thread
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Seriously, the Company has to play to its strengths.
Asking Spyderco to make fiddly scissors and forged tooltips
is like asking your pitbull to fetch the morning paper.
It doesn't end well.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:16 am
Seriously, the Company has to play to its strengths.
Asking Spyderco to make fiddly scissors and forged tooltips
is like asking your pitbull to fetch the morning paper.
It doesn't end well.
Right? I 'd rather they play to their strengths, instead of trying to be all things to all people. As someone mentioned before, I'd rather see them work with Leatherman on Spyderco bladed LM tool. And having said that, is it really all that hard to carry a Delica AND a LM tool (or similar from vendor of your choice)?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001