Wharncliffe Endure Serrated = Super Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Wharncliffe Endure Serrated = Super Knife

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

There is a ongoing thread here about what you used your Spyderco for last.

I could have posted there and let it get lost with so many other posts but wanted to really call out the power of this Serrated Wharncliffe folder.

With a hurricane coming to the East Coast where I live and not having a window A/C for when the electric goes out have to rig a swamp cooler.

Yesterday a lady was throwing out a huge ice chest wheels missing but who cares. She said take it so I did and my girlfriend cleaned it up.

I went to the Home Depot and bought 3 90 degree 2 inch pvc pipe fittings to direct air flow.

Then Having a large squirrel cage blower put it next to the cooler on one side and drew an outline with the knife of its exhaust port.

Then needing to cut the rectangular horizontal cut out in the side popped out the Endura Wharncliffe and plunged the blade through the first layer of plastic the thick Styrofoam foam and the inner layer of plastic.

I mean to tell you this knife cut through these blade binding material sandwich like no bodies business, no way a Plain edge could have pulled this off.

When done it was still cutting telephone book paper.

This is a super knife, VG-10 once again proves how great it is and this knife was in pocket getting sweated on as I worked building a tarp for the generator to run it in the rain and also drilling in anchor points to prevent theft of said Generator.

No rust, no patina. I need no other steel than VG10.

All that is left is to add ice and frozen bottles of water etc to the cooler kick on the blower and chill out.

I have gone to calling this my Hurricane Knife.

Hope people buy this and use it, you might be surprised by what you have been missing this outperforms my Salt2 in SE thanks to the FFG.
Jazz

Re: Wharncliffe Endure Serrated = Super Knife

Post by Jazz »

I finally brought mine to work to stand in for my indispensable wharnie Delica PE, and I couldn't believe the cutting performance of this FFG SE beast. I don't use large blades for work, but this thing very much impressed me, and I cut a lot of cardboard. Also a bunch of plastic jugs for fun. Hardly dulled at all. I have long been a VG 10 fan, and for good reason.

I did take the blade’s point down a bit on mine so it was more wharncliffey.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Can't talk specifically about the Wharnie, but 3mm stock Vg10 in ffg and SE is amazing indeed... how do I know?: Endela SE!!
For some reason I like Wharnies only in smaller blades, but I really hope that the regular Endura SE will (like the Endela) soon also come in ffg and not sg anymore...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Despite my loathing of the Endura handle, I think I need that Endura wharnie. I also need it in LC/Salt configuration please and thanks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:49 am
Despite my loathing of the Endura handle, I think I need that Endura wharnie. I also need it in LC/Salt configuration please and thanks.

Get one and grind the handle down. I'd love to here what you think.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:46 am
Can't talk specifically about the Wharnie, but 3mm stock Vg10 in ffg and SE is amazing indeed... how do I know?: Endela SE!!
For some reason I like Wharnies only in smaller blades, but I really hope that the regular Endura SE will (like the Endela) soon also come in ffg and not sg anymore...

I agree on all points.
- best wishes, Jazz.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I might need to track down an endela in this configuration...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:59 am
Evil D wrote:

I feel pretty confident that I can speculate out a decent review. It looks to have just enough negative blade angle to hook on a draw cut nicely. It seems to be the perfect middle ground between a standard blade and a hawkbill. I'm kinda holding out for variants but we'll see. I'm actually trying to sell knives right now not buy more lol.
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:14 am
Jazz wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:59 am
Evil D wrote:

I feel pretty confident that I can speculate out a decent review. It looks to have just enough negative blade angle to hook on a draw cut nicely. It seems to be the perfect middle ground between a standard blade and a hawkbill. I'm kinda holding out for variants but we'll see. I'm actually trying to sell knives right now not buy more lol.
With you on all of this post, if you get one of these I know you will love it.

When / if the Endella goes Wharncliffe and SE blade = instant purchase here.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

How do you keep the tips pointy? I bought a beat up delica and accidentally went too steep, and thickened the bevel
boing

Post by boing »

I haven't even received my serrated wharnie Delica, but I was already looking at the Endura last night. After carrying a full-serrated blade as a primary for awhile, I prefer PE for my typical tasks, but the SE has been indispensable a few times. Serrated lends itself to a longer blade for sawing tasks.

I think my EDC arrangement is going to end up as a serrated wharncliffe as an always-have secondary blade, paired with whatever PE I happen to be carrying that day. The Endura might be a little big for that role. Probably won't stop me, though. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:47 am
How do you keep the tips pointy? I bought a beat up delica and accidentally went too steep, and thickened the bevel
Send it in to Spyderco they should be able to correct it and then you can maintain it on a Sharpmaker. It is worth a shot give them a call and send them pictures they will tell you if they can or not. Pretty good people to work with. I sent in an old serrated Military once and am getting ready to send in an older Hunter whose serrations are so bad they are like a butter knife.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

boing wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:45 am
I haven't even received my serrated wharnie Delica, but I was already looking at the Endura last night. After carrying a full-serrated blade as a primary for awhile, I prefer PE for my typical tasks, but the SE has been indispensable a few times. Serrated lends itself to a longer blade for sawing tasks.

I think my EDC arrangement is going to end up as a serrated wharncliffe as an always-have secondary blade, paired with whatever PE I happen to be carrying that day. The Endura might be a little big for that role. Probably won't stop me, though. :)
Having both I prefer the Endura there is just something really good going on with this design in a longer blade. Have it in my pocket even now and just had to look and see if it was still there.
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

Doeswhatever, you are one of the guys on here that convinced me to try out Spyderco’s serrated edge. I have the Salt and a Pacific Salt both in SE to try it with the H1 magic. Some strokes on both sides of a Sharpmaker has moderated the acute points and they now slice more readily. Surprised that they also slice fairly straight through tomatoes and cheese.

Now you have me wanting to try the Wharncliffe variant! Thanks for your detailed discussion of it. A question though. Do you think the Wharncliffe Atlantic Salt SE would be superior to the VG-10 in the Endura Wharncliffe for SE? Or about the same?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

NWPilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:45 pm
Doeswhatever, you are one of the guys on here that convinced me to try out Spyderco’s serrated edge. I have the Salt and a Pacific Salt both in SE to try it with the H1 magic. Some strokes on both sides of a Sharpmaker has moderated the acute points and they now slice more readily. Surprised that they also slice fairly straight through tomatoes and cheese.

Now you have me wanting to try the Wharncliffe variant! Thanks for your detailed discussion of it. A question though. Do you think the Wharncliffe Atlantic Salt SE would be superior to the VG-10 in the Endura Wharncliffe for SE? Or about the same?
The Endura In VG10 is FFG the slicing is indeed superior.
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:44 pm

Ah, good point. Thanks for that reminder. I really like the slicey aspect of FFG on my PM2 and PM3 so the Endura WSE sounds like a winner.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

NWPilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:33 pm
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:44 pm

Ah, good point. Thanks for that reminder. I really like the slicey aspect of FFG on my PM2 and PM3 so the Endura WSE sounds like a winner.
Plus, keep in mind: The Endura additionally has significantly thinner blade stock than PM2 and Para 3 (about 20 % thinner where the blade starts,though of course then things like tapering, blade height, bevel and so on come into play also. Anyway, in my experience my PE Enduras ffg are better slicers than both my Millie and PM2 in PE).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been really looking at the Lone Wolf Endura with the Glock tool a lot lately, now I'm wondering if the wharnie blade will swap into that handle.
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:00 pm
I've been really looking at the Lone Wolf Endura with the Glock tool a lot lately, now I'm wondering if the wharnie blade will swap into that handle.
Looking at all 3 models I would say yes both are advertised to have the same blade thickness 0.13.

The question is where are they getting that measurement one would think the FFG made of thinner stock

I get 0.16 on the Endura FFG when measuring behind the blade next to the handles this would be the area of concern. Maybe someone could do the same measurement on the saber ground with Emerson opener?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:04 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:00 pm
Looking at all 3 models I would say yes both are advertised to have the same blade thickness 0.13.

The question is where are they getting that measurement one would think the FFG made of thinner stock

I get 0.16 on the Endura FFG when measuring behind the blade next to the handles this would be the area of concern. Maybe someone could do the same measurement on the saber ground with Emerson opener?

I'm mostly curious about the blade fitting into the handle at the bottom. Sometimes they tweak the inside of the handle to allow wharnies or hawkbills to fit without the tip making contact. I'm not sure if the Glock tool takes up any room or changes the handle at that end.
~David