Marbled Carbon Fiber

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Marbled Carbon Fiber

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Does Fradon Lock Co. (SafeandLockStore.com) have Exclusive rights to Spydercos Marbled Carbon Fiber Handles?

If not I would love to see them on more Spydies! :spyder:

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SF Native

Re: Marbled Carbon Fiber

Post by SF Native »

Yup. On other models, I would be interested.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The Spyderco Myrtle has marbled carbon fiber, so I'm guessing more models could feature it in the future.
I love the look of marbled CF, so I won't mind :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
jdw

Post by jdw »

SF Native wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:47 pm
Are you not a fan of the Manix? Does the hollow grind bother you? I am really curious because I have wondered why the Fradon Manix doesn't get more love? A lot of people want more 4v on a large folder but this one usually gets ignored.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I love the marbled CF, but for me it was the low hollow grind and the horrid lock.

I really hope the do more with this combo, a 4V Dodo would make me go nuts. I would buy it AND the M4 one from BHQ.
I still hate the lock(less, becuase BBL) but the Dodo is such a great knife I can overlook it. It's REALLY good!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Luke at Cuscadi did something pretty close for me ...

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

jdw wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:28 am
SF Native wrote:
Are you not a fan of the Manix? Does the hollow grind bother you? I am really curious because I have wondered why the Fradon Manix doesn't get more love? A lot of people want more 4v on a large folder but this one usually gets ignored.
I'm a huge fan of the Manix platform and 4v (and I do own the Fradon Manix), but I was put off by the way they undersold themselves immediately. If you bought direct from them you paid $20 more than if you bought via eBay. People assuming they got the best price going direct to the retailer ended up paying more than if they bought from the retailers eBay storefront. That seemed pretty lame to me. They could have at least told us that the real price was $20 cheaper, and we should buy on eBay.

In terms of it's popularity, most of the people I know who own the model think that it's "too pretty to EDC" so I think a lot of them are safe queens. It's such a great/rare/visually appealing combination that I think it moved straight to the collectable stage.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

blade and lock absolutely kept me away. I'd love a marbled carbon fiber Shaman sprint, that would be amazing.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

jdw wrote:
SF Native wrote:
I like the manix just fine and 4v is a perfect steel for it. This marble cf is different from the myrtle but I like it. Like them both actually. But the manix is too big for my edc. I only get to use my manix for construction projects on the house. It takes a real beating.
The manix has been the platform for a few experiments in scales. We also had the burl g10.
But the manix doesn’t have the passionate following that the para’s do.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I love the look of marbled CF. I'd love to see it on more models. It stays in most people's "greyscale only" comfort zone but manages to look interesting anyway.

Side note, why are so many people afraid of colors that aren't Earth tones? Not just talking knives here, parking lots and highways are a sea of grey and beige and it's depressing as heck.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:05 pm
Side note, why are so many people afraid of colors that aren't Earth tones? Not just talking knives here, parking lots and highways are a sea of grey and beige and it's depressing as.
One reason is cost. Why spend millions upon millions of dollars on dye and extra labor?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think he's referring to car colors. I reckon neutrals sell well because they don't inspire strong feelings one way or the other. With bolder colors you either love it or hate it, and manufacturers observe that the set of people who have no strong feelings is larger than the people who love the bolder colors.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:05 pm
I love the look of marbled CF. I'd love to see it on more models. It stays in most people's "greyscale only" comfort zone but manages to look interesting anyway.

Side note, why are so many people afraid of colors that aren't Earth tones? Not just talking knives here, parking lots and highways are a sea of grey and beige and it's depressing as heck.
My car is bright red :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:50 pm
I think he's referring to car colors. I reckon neutrals sell well because they don't inspire strong feelings one way or the other. With bolder colors you either love it or hate it, and manufacturers observe that the set of people who have no strong feelings is larger than the people who love the bolder colors.
Duh! :rolleyes: Ha ha, I was wondering why anyone would be asking for brightly colored highways and parking lots.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:41 am
...the manix doesn’t have the passionate following that the para’s do.
I'd argue that Manix fans are just as passionate as para 2/3 fans. They just aren't as numerous. It's kind of like Milli fans--they love the platform just as much (or more), but there aren't as many of them.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:07 pm
SF Native wrote:
I'd argue that Manix fans are just as passionate as para 2/3 fans. They just aren't as numerous. It's kind of like Milli fans--they love the platform just as much (or more), but there aren't as many of them.
Fair enough. Probably true.
I meant that para-anything in a new steel lasts minutes, and a manix might last days or weeks.
attila

Post by attila »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:07 pm
SF Native wrote:
Hear, hear!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
vivi

Post by vivi »

jdw wrote:
SF Native wrote:
I'd get a full sized Manix in this setup.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:30 pm
jdw wrote:
SF Native wrote:
I'd get a full sized Manix in this setup.
Would be a good excuse for me to pick one up :D