Bow River and Province Boltaron Sheaths

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Bow River and Province Boltaron Sheaths

Post by Dazen »

Has anyone got their hands on one of these yet? I was going to have them custom made but then Spyderco came out with their own. Thoughts?
Attachments
AFEBF1AF-8A3F-4355-8A3E-73A0CDFAACEB.png
40970080-A3E7-49A1-9AEB-CBDF8E8161C4.png
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
TomAiello

Re: Bow River and Province Boltaron Sheaths

Post by TomAiello »

Are they only available direct from Spyderco?

They're made by Sheath Pro, aren't they?

The Bow River sheath looks very similar to the South Fork sheath, which I use more than daily and am quite happy with.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Good lookin sheaths; anybody know how that boltaron material deals with edges (like dulling edges, getting slice marks etc)?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

The Boltaron sheaths will be available very soon. The first batch is in-house and just needs to be added to the we site. Both are made by Sheath Pro and are very well done. The Ankerson has a great snap fit. The Bow River, due to its handle shape and lack of a retention point for the Boltaron, has a very clever wedging action between the spine and the handle. Very secure and very smooth.

I'm confident you'll like these.

Stay safe,

Mike
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:27 am
Good lookin sheaths; anybody know how that boltaron material deals with edges (like dulling edges, getting slice marks etc)?
I have boltaron sheaths for my South Fork and Sprig that both see daily use, and I haven't had any issues with dulling the edge at all.

I just pulled them out and inspected them and I have no slice marks to report. I'm fairly careful putting them into the sheaths, but they see a lot of kitchen use, and that means that several other people (including two children) are using them as well. So I guess I have no real feedback on the slice marks thing. Either they're very resistant or we're just careful enough that it hasn't been an issue.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Thank you Tom and Mike for your input, I will be giving these a try!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

The price on the Bow River sheath looks good too. I was afraid it would cost more than the knife.

Just yesterday, I was thinking about how I'd like to try a synthetic sheath but all of the knives I like come with leather. Someone at Spyderco was a couple steps ahead of me, apparently.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

With regard to the possibility of dulling the edge, both two-layer and foldover Boltaron sheaths align the seam of the two layers with the edge of the blade. As such, the edge nests in the "crease" between the two layers and is pretty much immune to contacting the plastic in a way that would dull it.

Injection-molded sheaths typically have interior cavities with right-angled corners. Viewed in cross section, these are long rectangular cavities with flat areas (the short legs of the rectangle) at the spine and edge. If you allow the edge to contact the flat as you draw and sheathe it, it can affect the sharpness of the edge. The best technique for drawing and sheathing with these sheaths it to "ride" the spine of the blade.

The squared corners and flats of the injection-molded sheaths basically replicate the "welt" or spacer used in leather sheaths. The welt is an extra layer that keeps the edge from cutting the threads used to sew the sheath together. Since welts are soft leather, they don't affect blade edges if contact is made. Injection-molded polymer is significantly harder.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Joey

Post by Joey »

Also wondering if these are only available through Spyderco. I was just thinking about how I dislike the belt requirement (on the bow river at least) for carry. These sound great, and I’m excited to see it in person! I rarely use a belt in the summer.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Nice! With a boltaron sheath, the bow river just became a knife I'd want to have!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

Excited that the bow river will have a boltaron available. The leather is nice but just not my preferred style of carry!

Edit: Realized they were out and ordered one right away!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I might get one next time I'm at SFO but the way it is it costs more than the knife did
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Michael Janich wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:32 am
Hey, All:

The Boltaron sheaths will be available very soon. The first batch is in-house and just needs to be added to the we site. Both are made by Sheath Pro and are very well done. The Ankerson has a great snap fit. The Bow River, due to its handle shape and lack of a retention point for the Boltaron, has a very clever wedging action between the spine and the handle. Very secure and very smooth.

I'm confident you'll like these.

Stay safe,

Mike
Mr Janich, is there any schedule for a new run of Ankerson Boltaron sheaths? The website has them as out of stock at the moment.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I looked on Spyderco’s website but couldn’t find the Bow River Boltaron sheath anywhere. Are these no longer available?
sal

Post by sal »

I would contact Christina at SheathPro@aol.com

sal
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:43 pm
I would contact Christina at SheathPro@aol.com

sal