Which is the best?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
likemebetter

Which is the best?

Post by likemebetter »

I "was" gonna buy a Para 3 lightweight from a guy at my APKNite company but was "persuaded" out of buying it by my girlfriend because I "don't need a $100 knife." Apparently she wants me to "wait till I have a bit saved up". What's the best Spyderco I could get instead that is in the $50-60 range or cheaper and under 3-3.25"?
Thanks!
Wartstein

Re: Which is the best?

Post by Wartstein »

likemebetter wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:52 am
I "was" gonna buy a Para 3 lightweight from a guy at my APKNite company but was "persuaded" out of buying it by my girlfriend because I "don't need a $100 knife." Apparently she wants me to "wait till I have a bit saved up". What's the best Spyderco I could get instead that is in the $50-60 range or cheaper and under 3-3.25"?
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

I don´t have real experiences with Spydercos in the 50 to 60 dollar range, the "cheapest" I own is a Delica (which I like a lot as far as small knives go). It would fit in your size range (under 3"), but is more like 80 dollars in the US I think.

If I´d be in the market for a Spydie in your requested size- and price range, I´d probably get the Alcyone (though if there are no legal restrictions where you live I´d get the bigger version of it, the Polestar (blade 3.3"). From what I can see a very underrated knife, very good materials (including decent steel) and a lot of edge for the small package in the pocket. Only drawback FOR ME PERSONALLY (!): The linerlock. It works just fine, but I prefer a backlock. But I have to say: Many people not very used to knives seem to find a backlock harder to operate at first.

Another choice could be the Persistence, also with a linerlock, though the Alcyone has better steel, most would say.

Both of the above offer a lot of edge for their sizes, but in return not the typical Spyderco finger choil. If you want that, consider maybe the Byrd Meadowlark: Same steel as the Persistence, finger choil, backlock and roughly only half the price if not less... (around 25 dollars I think - good, if you´re still saving up for the Para 3! ;) )
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Buy the knife you want. If it takes another paycheck, that's fine. But unless you're like me and that knife could fall into the bottom of the sea or major river, you'll have it for life. She doesn't understand. Take care of it and you can sell it and buy the next knife you're looking at for very cheap.
Last edited by Pelagic on Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:38 pm
Buy three knife you want. If it takes another paycheck, that's fine. But unless you're like me and that knife could fall into the bottom of the sea or major river, you'll have it for life. She doesn't understand. Take care of it and you can sell it and buy the next knife you're looking at for very cheap.

Ok, that indeed is better advice than mine in my previous post... :p
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

likemebetter wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:52 am
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum!

The Tenacious would be a good choice.
If you prefer FRN you could either go with a Dragonfly (bit smaller than your specs) or Delica (on the upper end of your fiscal limit) or one of the Byrd models (cheaper though still good quality).

Or you could do what your girlfriend suggests - just save up a bit more and go for the knife you really want. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

You get what you pay for. That is absolutely true up to a given point and then diminishing returns sets in. You definitely get your moneys worth for a $100 knife like the Para 3 or a PM2. Somewhere around $200 to $250 diminishing returns definitely sets in.

That being said, my recommendation for a $50 knife would be the Spyderco Tenacious. A great knife for the price.

But getting back to basic economics -- what Pelagic has said is great advice. Be patient, save your money, and get what you really want. There is both quality and pride of ownership. There have been many times when I have bought something at a lower price, then later bought what I really should have. So the first "money saving" purchase ended up being wasted money. Sort of.

As for negotiating with your girl-friend, these things are unfathomable and beyond sorting out. Vaya con Dios amigo!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Tenacious now or wait a month and buy the Para 3 lw.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tenacious is larger than he wants (so I recommended the smaller version Persistence).
But, honest question, would you all indeed recommend Tenacious/ Persistance rather than Polestar/ Alcyone?
I personally would take the latter if I had to choose inside that price- range
SG89

Post by SG89 »

To me the Polestar ($66) with ctsbd1 is not worth an extra $20 compared to the Tenacious ($47) with 8Cr13Mov. I have owned a Tenacious and an Alcyone and they are both nice but if you are price conscious Tenacious/Persistence makes more sense. Persistence is $44 and Alcyone is $63.Also I really recommend waiting until you can afford the Para 3 Lightweight because it is really great.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

To me the $25 Resilience at Walmart pretty much puts everything to shame.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:53 pm
To me the $25 Resilience at Walmart pretty much puts everything to shame.
Yah I got the last one at our local Wal-Mart. Crazy deal. I've yet to use the knife but it's quite impressive.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Save and get the lightweight para 3. That is a wonderful knife.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:07 pm
Save and get the lightweight para 3. That is a wonderful knife.
Sound advice. Look what you get:

-- Made in USA
-- First class knife steel
-- Compression lock

Well worth waiting and spending the extra money.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

There is nothing wrong with her giving you good advice but there is nothing wrong with someone spending their own money as they please. Get a Byrd and show it t her. Then save up and buy what you want and don't tell her. That's my advice. I like the big Byrd lockbacks. Tough as heck, super easy to sharpen and a great price. I have the more expensive knives but still have several Byrds. The Cara Cara is my choice.

Welcome to the forum.

Joe
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Get the knife you want. If you don't have the money for the Para 3 LW - save up for it, then get it. Buying another knife at a lesser price will not get rid of wanting the knife you truly want. Then not only do you not have that knife, you're also out the money you spent on the other.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Welcome!

You haven't mentioned what your typical uses would be. That'll have a bearing on what the 'best' knife would be for you.

But assuming you want a general EDC tool, and you were already interested in the Para 3, I can vouch for the Tenacious being an excellent value knife in your nominated price range. It might be just on or slightly over your blade size limit though.

The Polestar and Alcyone are said to be an evolved take on a value knife in that same size range, but I haven't personally tried them.

Not trying to stir the pot here, but does your girlfriend take into account your opinion when buying 'personal interest' or hobby items for herself?
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd say either save for what you really want, or if u can't wait, buy a Byrd meadowlark or crow 2 or possibly the Spyderco cat. All great knives under $50.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Likemebetter,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

As has been mentioned several times, get the one you want and don't kick yourself later!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:07 pm
To me the Polestar ($66) with ctsbd1 is not worth an extra $20 compared to the Tenacious ($47) with 8Cr13Mov. I have owned a Tenacious and an Alcyone and they are both nice but if you are price conscious Tenacious/Persistence makes more sense. Persistence is $44 and Alcyone is $63.Also I really recommend waiting until you can afford the Para 3 Lightweight because it is really great.

Ok, you are right. I was not aware of the Polestar being that much more "expensive" than the Tenacious percentagewise (cause absolutely 19 USD more seems not much, but if one really is on a budget, it is).

I've owned neither of the two, but the Polestar looks more appealing to me (especially steelwise and in how the G10 is done).

But as mentioned by several people here: If the OP really wants a Para 3 LW, it makes no sense to lay down over 60 dollars for another knife instead of saving up.

If finally owning a Para 3 is the goal here, and he is really on a budget and he'd have NO knife while saving up, I think I'd still recommend the Byrd Meadowlark till the Para 3 is affordable for him. For me personally the Meadowlark even has some features I'd like over the Para 3.