Return of Temperance 2 (sort of)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy Temperance 2 like knife?

Yes!
54%
NO!
17%
Go to bed Pancake, you are drunk.
29%

Total votes: 24

Pancake

Return of Temperance 2 (sort of)

Post by Pancake »

So with the recent talk about Spyderco fixed blade knives, one member said that we maybe need something lika a PM2, like a classic base model that can get all the recommendations.

Do you think that Temperance 2 like knife with some changes could be succesful in the market? Maybe tweak the blade lenght a bit, put it around 4 inches, change the blade material for some more entry level steel (O1, BD1N, or even AEB-L something that is affordable), G10 handle and some kydex.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know what you are thinking, just get the Bow river (I will), but the Temperance with that CLASSIC LEAF SHAPE blade is so sexy.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
spyderwolf

Re: Return of Temperance 2 (sort of)

Post by spyderwolf »

I already made a post about a production fixed blade based on the Mule,in cheap steel and frn handles,multiple colors.It will blow the BR out of the water.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Dang, I completely forgot that I read about it spyderwolf. I think that leaf shaped fixed blade will be good.
Color FRN handles? Something like Endura...That would be cool .....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would much rather see the return of the TEMPERANCE 1 model. It's still about my all time favorite Spyderco fixed blade. I use both of mine ( PE & SE) at least 2 to 3 times a week on a wide range of jobs. The handle is virtually perfect for my hand and I've had people tell me the same thing who have different sized hands.
Also it's one of the very few Spyderco fixed blades that was offered in PE & SE both. It's my all time favorite SE fixed blade knife and probably will be for some time.
I've suggest several times that the TEMP 1 should be considered for the Salt Series>> I would love to see the TEMP 1 in LC200N in both PE & SE.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I am looking right now at Jumpmaster 2. So, take this concept, make it in a ,,normal´´ steel and FFG and put some FRN handles on it. FRN molds are already made, so the price could be lower.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

This really is what we need. I wouldn't even care which design. Temp 1, Temp 2, Mule or Jumpmaster. They're all useful, iconic models that are easily identified as Spyderco designs.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 am
Dang, I completely forgot that I read about it spyderwolf. I think that leaf shaped fixed blade will be good.
The more the better :).Let's get an afordable fixed blade with Spyderrco DNA in production.Around 60$ it will keel ;)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'll vote for the Jumpmaster, plain edge and an assortment of steels ... LC200N, Cru-Wear, 3V, CTS-XHP, Elmax, M390 class ... these might get me to purchase multiple copies of this knife. Keep offering a serrated edge as well. Throw in different colored FRN ... starting with basic black then most popular colors like orange and blue and then some earth tones like foliage green and khaki, then roll out some g10 like forest green, dark gray, digi camo, and so on ... and then roll out a peel ply carbon fiber version. The steel for the base model ... that is a tougher one, maybe quality D2 or RWL34. Then, DLC coating for those that can't resist black blades. Then, some FFG and lightweights (thin bladestock).

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Increase the blade length, 5 inches is a good length, and a different steel Cruwear would be a nice choice and add a finger choil.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spyderwolf wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 am
Pancake wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 am
The more the better :).Let's get an afordable fixed blade with Spyderrco DNA in production.Around 60$ it will keel ;)
That's another reason I'm touting the original TEMPERANCE 1 model because it was in that price range when it was in the main line up. Now by making it available in the Salt Series with LC200N and be offered in PE & SE that would be a very affordable option for a premium fixed blade. The TEMP 2 was a bit pricey for a VG-10 blade IMO. Whereas the TEMP 1 would just make great marketing sense all the way around.

It's doubtful it would be in the $60 range but it would come closer than most of the others and it would be much cheaper than the TEMP 2. Because the TEMP 1 was very reasonably priced when it was in the main line up for the time it was. To me it would be the perfect outdoor blade for new Spyderco customers to get started with and it's a premium design as well.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Funny, I saw one of them in one of the calendar submission photos earlier today and was like "oooh! What is that?!" A reasonably priced re-release of the Temperance 2 would be a win for me, but honestly I want those micarta scales and a good tough steel - 1095 works for me to keep the price down.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I could see a hidden tang reimagining of the Temperance 2 with a molded FRN handle. I’d prefer a stainless steel, not too expensive, like 9Cr18, which has performed very well in a Mule Team I own.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:41 pm
Because the TEMP 1 was very reasonably priced when it was in the main line up for the time it was. To me it would be the perfect outdoor blade for new Spyderco customers to get started with and it's a premium design as well.
Very true JD.
I am not saying that Spyderco fixed are bad, but average person cant really spend 400 Euros on one fixed blade, like on Zoomer (which is a fantastic looking blade btw). And even if you spend 400 €, are you really going to use it like a 40 € knife in the bush and not baby it at all?

But if we can buy and fixed with that Spyderco DNA in it, at a reasonable price (like 100 €), you are not going to think twice about using it.
TEMP 1 is also nice looking. A bit o tweaking here and there, keep the molded handle, choose some proven steel (1095, why not) and bang, what a fixed blade.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Has Spyderco made anything with 1095 before? The Bushcraft used O1 but that knife was a little on the pricey side. I'm not sure if it was priced that way because the scales or some other part was expensive or if they had to pay more for the O1 because they bought a small quantity specifically for that model. I'd be happy to see this happen with just about any steel if they could keep the price around $100 or under.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I am not sure if they ever used 1095, but I am fine with these simple carbon steels. Another option could be 12c27, that is tough stainless steel, not that much edge holding but if people are happy with 8cr13 then why not.
I am not agains steels like Cru-Wear, 4V and all those fancy-shmancy stuff, but I would like to keep the price as low as possible that everyone could have and USE one.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

A fixed blade like this would be a great opportunity for Spyderco to try out an entry level non-stainless steel. That wouldn't work as well on a folder as most people looking for a low cost folding knife probably want it to be low maintenance. Fixed blade people are a different sort that generally seem to be much more accepting of tool steels.
sal

Post by sal »

Eric has been considering doing a remake of the Temperance 2. What steel would be preferred?

sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:25 pm
Eric has been considering doing a remake of the Temperance 2. What steel would be preferred?

sal
Superblue or Hap40! (assuming it has to be a Japanese steel)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

A remake of the Temp 2!! My vote is for 52100 -- I have always itched for a 52100 fixed blade. Second choice might be Cruwear.

I have a Temperance 2 and like it very well, but have always thought it would be great if it was redone in a different steel.
The Micarta is fantastic. Would it have to be a Japanese steel though?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:25 pm

sal
Maybe something classic and proven like O1, 52100, 1095, something that would take a nice patina over time. PD1/Cru-Wear would be cool too, but price would be higher.

For stainless, AEB-L is very tough and it will be my choice.