Sprints of collaboration models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Sprints of collaboration models?

Post by JuPaul »

Does spyderco ever run sprint versions of collaborator-designed knives?

I'm asking because I am LOVING my new Smock: the button compression lock and corner flipper tab combo might just be the easiest (and most fun) one-handed open and close system I've ever used, and it's equally easy for my small hands or my husband's large ones. I'm also really starting to appreciate the overall design and aesthetics of the knife, too. The only thing that could make me happier would be to have one of these in a color and g10 scales. And although I'm perfectly happy with s30v, I wouldn't hate to have it in Cru-wear, hap40/rex45, or even lc200n, either. ;)

So before I start saving up big bucks to buy a custom Smock, could a sprint of this one be possible someday given its popularity?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Re: Sprints of collaboration models?

Post by SG89 »

PPT has had 2 sprints I believe. Yojimbo 2 has had a few
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

I'm not sure if they are done as Sprints or as dealer/distributor exclusives. I have the original carbon fiber Southard Positron and an orange G-10 Knife Center exclusive version of it too.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Nice! I forgot about the Yojimbo. So it is possible...I wonder what the calculus is for dealers in these situations. For example, how "hot" do sales need to be to consider a more unusual model like the yojimbo or the smock, etc.
- Julia

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:30 am
Nice! I forgot about the Yojimbo. So it is possible...I wonder what the calculus is for dealers in these situations. For example, how "hot" do sales need to be to consider a more unusual model like the yojimbo or the smock, etc.
I don't know how the dealers figure it, but the Smock has proven to be a really hot seller so it might happen.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:38 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:30 am
I don't know how the dealers figure it, but the Smock has proven to be a really hot seller so it might happen.
For very good reason! Imo, it's the best spyderco flipper I've ever used - I own 3 others currently and have tried a few more - and very unique. I think Smock may have finally hit on a flipper design that's a real winner for spyderco in terms of smooth action and stronger detente, and it fits well with the company's image as a cutting edge innovator. So fingers crossed...
Last edited by JuPaul on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

There's been quite a few sprint runs of collab models over the years. I know JD Smith, Wayne Goddard, Ed Schempp and Bob Lum have had sprint runs done of their models at some point. There's surely more than that though.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh heck yes they do run Sprints of their collaborations. They did a Sprint Run of Bob Lum's C-46 Tanto Folder and the Lum fixed blade both. They've also done a Sprint Runs of the JD Smith, Massad Ayoob, and the Starmate as well>> just to name a few.

I want Sprint Runs of the following>> Another Sprint of the C-60 Ayoob model with a supersteel blade >> one of the Ed Scott IMPALA model, another JD Smith model with a supersteel blade, And a orange handled, Spyderedged Sprint Run of the Jason Breeden C-111 Captain model>> just to get started.

Oh Spyderco never forgets the great designers that helped get them to where they are. I look for many more in the future too.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

So next question: how long usually from the original to the sprint model? Are we talking years?
- Julia

JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yep, Wayne Goddard Sprint in VG-10 is one example (and an awesome one at that!)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:59 pm
Yep, Wayne Goddard Sprint in VG-10 is one example (and an awesome one at that!)
I used to have two of the gray VG-10 Goddard models. Like a fool I traded both of them back around 05-06 :o . I've heard that there was one model of the Goddard runs that was full Spyderedged ( there were very few in full SE) and it's a high dollar unit that is if you can even find one anymore. The last one I seen was up for auction at one of J. Bruce Voyles knife auctions. Haven't seen one since but I've sure been looking hard.

You really don't see many ( if any) of those Goddard models up for sale or trade anymore. Unless you get really lucky at a gun show.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

That's interesting, I really wasn't familiar with the model in general until really recently, but I gotta say the OD Sprint I got is just SUPERB.

Were your gray ones micarta or G10?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara