POLL: Who´d like the Native-family to become the general "comes in both comp.lock and backlock version" - line?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Native family: Should EACH main model be available both in a comp.lock and a backlock - version?

Yes, I´d like to see each Native-family-member (Lil Native, Native 5, Shaman, Chief) coming in a comp.lock AND a backlock version
35%
No, keep it like it is (Just Lil Native in both variants, Native 5 and Chief only backlock, Shaman comp.lock)
20%
No, I´d like to see each model JUST in a backlock-version
31%
No, I´d like to see each model JUST in a comp.lock-version
8%
Other (speciify in a post, if you like)
6%

Total votes: 65

Larry_Mott

Re: POLL: Who´d like the Native-family to become the general "coming in both comp.lock and backlock version" - line?

Post by Larry_Mott »

To me they're just fine the way they are. I'd rather see new models than a bewildering array of endless variants.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Re: POLL: Who´d like the Native-family to become the general "coming in both comp.lock and backlock version" - line?

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:32 am
To me they're just fine the way they are. I'd rather see new models than a bewildering array of endless variants.
I get what you mean and it´s a valid point!

But my proposal is (exactly) not about a "bewildering array of endless variants"! But to have ONE SINGLE line of Spydies, very popular and roughly covering all size categories now, so that many people will find a model they like, combined with the (by far I guess) two favorite locktypes.

So everyone can be sure: Inside that line, each knive that comes out will be available with a lock, that most certainly one is at least ok with (cause I guess people NOT liking BOTH comp.lock and backlock are very rare).

What speaks for the Native family: Popular line up; quite "neutrally " shaped, should fit many preferences and hands (no ramp and so on); that "family" partly DOES come already in the two main Spydie locktypes.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Interesting to see for me concerning this poll is, how many people would like the Native-family-members coming ONLY in a backlockversion, so NO comp.lock versions at all (even not Lil Native and Shaman). As of right now 1/3 of voters feel that way . exactly as much as want to see EACH model come in BOTH locks, and about 3.5 times MORE people than want to see the whole Native line come ONLY in comp.lock versions.

As said, I DEFINITELY do not want this thread to turn into another backlock vs comp.lock discussion, I am just wondering what the reasons are for that results concerning the specific question of the poll. There are of course many explanations, for example:

- Many more people generally like the backlock over the comp.lock than vice versa (which I do NOT believe)
- Specifically in the NATIVE line people prefer the backlock over the comp.lock (and the Native backlock is probably the best executed backlock even amongst Spydercos backlocks, together with the Chap´s imho)
- "Backlock-guys" feel more inclined to show their preference when there is an opportunity (so are more likely to vote in such a poll) than "comp.lock.guys" or people who have no preference here
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:53 am
Larry_Mott wrote:

But my proposal is (exactly) not about a "bewildering array of endless variants"! But to have ONE SINGLE line of Spydies, very popular and roughly covering all size categories now, so that many people will find a model they like, combined with the (by far I guess) two favorite locktypes.

So everyone can be sure: Inside that line, each knive that comes out will be available with a lock, that most certainly one is at least ok with (cause I guess people NOT liking BOTH comp.lock and backlock are very rare).

What speaks for the Native family: Popular line up; quite "neutrally " shaped, should fit many preferences and hands (no ramp and so on); that "family" partly DOES come already in the two main Spydie locktypes.
I get your point too buddy, i just fret what it could lead to.. ;) When fans of other model "families" want all lock types on "their" model/s
I don't know, i seem to always find a suitable knife in Spyderco's portfolio, the only thing i would want is more wood and micarta scales. Other than that, again i have always found out of the box models i was content with. Can't remember thinking 'gee i wished my model X was a little more like model Y'
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:20 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:53 am
Larry_Mott wrote:

I get your point too buddy, i just fret what it could lead to.. ;) When fans of other model "families" want all lock types on "their" model/s
I don't know, i seem to always find a suitable knife in Spyderco's portfolio, the only thing i would want is more wood and micarta scales. Other than that, again i have always found out of the box models i was content with. Can't remember thinking 'gee i wished my model X was a little more like model Y'

Ok... that is a concern I totally get...
/ And: YES, more Micarta!!!! :)