POLL: Who´d like the Native-family to become the general "comes in both comp.lock and backlock version" - line?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Native family: Should EACH main model be available both in a comp.lock and a backlock - version?

Yes, I´d like to see each Native-family-member (Lil Native, Native 5, Shaman, Chief) coming in a comp.lock AND a backlock version
35%
No, keep it like it is (Just Lil Native in both variants, Native 5 and Chief only backlock, Shaman comp.lock)
20%
No, I´d like to see each model JUST in a backlock-version
31%
No, I´d like to see each model JUST in a comp.lock-version
8%
Other (speciify in a post, if you like)
6%

Total votes: 65

p_atrick

Re: POLL: Who´d like the Native-family to become the general "coming in both comp.lock and backlock version" - line?

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:44 am
...if people GENERALLY want...
The real issue is that people who post/lurk here are not the prototypical Sypderco customer. More importantly, we don't really have the frame of reference to deduce what that customer wants or needs.

Moreover, I concede that your point (more lock choices in popular models) would go over well. There are plenty of knives in the Spyderco catalog that I would like to own if only it weren't for some minor thing. Reducing barriers to purchase is, on the whole, a good thing.
JuPaul

Re: POLL: Who´d like the Native-family to become the general "coming in both comp.lock and backlock version" - line?

Post by JuPaul »

I like backlocks, especially in larger knives where it's easier for me to reach with my smaller hands than, say, a ball bearing lock on a big-handled knife. But I'd personally love a native with a comp lock. But what I really want is a native with the new button comp lock! In fact, I want everything with a button comp lock! ;-)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd rather see the Native in CBBL, actually. :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:11 am
On the native I could be down for this, too. On the manix it's a little awkward for me to reach.

Edit: I might just prefer a lil' manix, though.
- Julia

Trp2080

Post by Trp2080 »

Comp lock native for me please
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:38 am
TomAiello wrote:
On the native I could be down for this, too. On the manix it's a little awkward for me to reach.

It might just be a hand size thing. I find the CBBL on the Manix XL a touch awkward, because I have small-ish hands (for a guy).

Native and Manix are so similar in my grip that I feel like the Native is already the "Lil Manix"--it just needs the CBBL.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

If it gets me a Native Chief with a comp lock, I'm fer it.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

My vote was "let it be".

There is no doubt in my mind that this is Wartstein's way of agitating for a backlock Shaman.

As much as I like the backlock Manix, I like the Shaman just as it is. Those boys at Golden make good decisions. Besides that, I have my backlock Manix and one is enough for me. Tough luck for everyone who missed out. Don't come crying now if you didn't buy one.

As others have said, the backlock is nicely suited to smaller knives like the Native 5. On bigger knives I am happy to see the compression lock.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

nothing against backlocks, but i'll take a comp lock on a native or a chief ANY day :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I do not have all of the knives being discussed yet, only the Native 5 in Maxamet(backlock), but I plan to buy a Shaman and Chief. I'm glad the Chief comes with a backlock.

I prefer the backlock, as it looks much stronger. My two CF Yojimbo 2's have compression locks, which seems like a weaker solution than a backlock. There may be a reason why Spyderco went with a compression lock. I have no insider information.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:48 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:38 am
TomAiello wrote:

It might just be a hand size thing. I find the CBBL on the Manix XL a touch awkward, because I have small-ish hands (for a guy).

Native and Manix are so similar in my grip that I feel like the Native is already the "Lil Manix"--it just needs the CBBL.
Good point. And it's definitely a hand size issue with the manix for me. I think I'd love it on the smaller native.
- Julia

Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I should point out that the main reason I would be reluctant to see a back-lock Shaman, is that the back-lock is so much harder than the compression lock to close one handed. The compression lock is a breeze -- as if it was made to be easily opened and closed. The back-lock on the other hand can be closed one handed, but only a few persevere and really master the technique.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:03 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that this is Wartstein's way of agitating for a backlock Shaman.

I am really not sure how that statement is meant?!

I sure hope not like as if I'd use a "trick" to "agitate for a backlock Shaman" ??! :confused:
Cause that would be a really weird idea...

As I clearly stated in my op, the idea for this thread came to my mind when I "was thinking about a backlock Shaman" (as in "imagining one"), right. But if I would have wanted to ask for one, why on earth shouldn't I just have done so (like I did concerning a backlock Caribbean)??

But that was explicitly not what I wanted to do, but on the contrary I had the more unifying idea for a specific, very popular, and covering all sizes Spyderco-line that would guarantie almost anybody a lock he or she at least likes.
Even more so, since Spyderco already started to partly use both locks in the "Native family".

And of course I am aware of this being a solely theoretical discussion, not an idea that will ever be realized by Spyderco based on this thread. Just wanted to know what people think.

Long story short: Tom, rest assured, if I'd want to propose a backlock Shaman or any other knife, or wanted to know who'd like to see such a model - well, I would just ask exactly that and not create a complex poll and idea as a "way to agitate for a certain model.."
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:53 pm
I should point out that the main reason I would be reluctant to see a back-lock Shaman, is that the back-lock is so much harder than the compression lock to close one handed. The compression lock is a breeze -- as if it was made to be easily opened and closed. The back-lock on the other hand can be closed one handed, but only a few persevere and really master the technique.
:p :p
I know you´re kidding, but if the backlock-Shaman is the topic you want to discuss, maybe you should start a dedicated thread? This one is about something else... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Trp2080 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:04 pm
Just out of interest: What would you like better in a comp.lock Native than in a Sage 5 or Para 3 (both comp. lock of course, and both soon (as far as the Sage goes, the Para 3 already is) also available in a LW version)? Or do you just like "comp. lock variety" generally?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:37 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
I know you´re kidding, but if the backlock-Shaman is the topic you want to discuss, maybe you should start a dedicated thread? This one is about something else... ;)
I am just being a wise-guy and trying to poke fun.

As far as implying that you were being disingenuous in starting this thread with deep ulterior motives -- I retract any such implications and apologize.

As for what you are asking -- I am actually pretty happy with the status quo as far as locks in the native family. If it made economic sense for Spyderco to offer a full matrix of choices, who could argue with that? -- but the demise of the backlock Manix argues that it is not economically viable to offer all the options. Of course there were other aspects of the backlock Manix (and I liked all of them -- stout blade steel, linerless design). I may be wandering off topic (and shooting holes in my own argument), but am just pointing out that it wasn't simply the lock type that turned people off.

But I like my compression lock Shaman, and also I like the backlock Native 5 that is sitting next to me right now.
I wouldn't change a thing about either of them.

The Shaman is the bomb. 2019 is the year of the Shaman (or maybe 2020 will be if we see a flood of sprints and exclusives).
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:12 pm
I do not have all of the knives being discussed yet, only the Native 5 in Maxamet(backlock), but I plan to buy a Shaman and Chief. I'm glad the Chief comes with a backlock.

I prefer the backlock, as it looks much stronger. My two CF Yojimbo 2's have compression locks, which seems like a weaker solution than a backlock. There may be a reason why Spyderco went with a compression lock. I have no insider information.
The compression lock is actually incredibly strong. The steel liner doesn't have to be thick, because it's relying on compressive strength, rather than shear strength like a back lock. On his Tri-Ad lock, Andrew Demko applied the same principle by using a stop pin to convert the back lock from shear strength to compressive strength.
Trp2080

Post by Trp2080 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:51 pm
Trp2080 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:04 pm
Just out of interest: What would you like better in a comp.lock Native than in a Sage 5 or Para 3 (both comp. lock of course, and both soon (as far as the Sage goes, the Para 3 already is) also available in a LW version)? Or do you just like "comp. lock variety" generally?
the main thing the native has over both of those is blade steel choices but hopefully the para 3 lw gets some more variety soon para 3 lw lc200n salt with yellow scales would be nice
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'm all for more choices, so I said both locks for all. I tend to prefer backlocks, but I think a lot of folks would like a chief with a comp lock. And I would seriously consider a back lock shaman.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:37 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
I am just being a wise-guy and trying to poke fun.

As far as implying that you were being disingenuous in starting this thread with deep ulterior motives -- I retract any such implications and apologize.

That, Sir, is a classy reply - thanks! :)

And if MY comment towards you did sound overly rude or as if I would have taken you TOO seriously: I apologize for that! (When I typed it, it was 5 a.m. on a Saturday, I had gotten up at 4:00 a.m. to gear up for a climb, and than my climbing buddy canceled that at 4:30 .a.m. So I was a bit pissed off, and maybe trying to let some steem off on the forum (had the internet running to check the weather forecast) unwittlingly... :o :D )