Manix XXL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Manix XXL?

Yes.
53%
Yes, more than one.
16%
Absolutely.
22%
Definitely.
9%

Total votes: 32

attila

Re: Manix XXL

Post by attila »

Nope

I prefer the CBBL Manix to pretty much everything else, but the pinky hook ruins both the XL and hypothetical XXL for me.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I love the pinky hook on the XL. it anchors your grip so well. Just needs chamfered edges or rounded off like the Shaman.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Vivi, I see what you’ve done here. ;)

But, no, I wouldn’t go for an XXL. My Tatanka languishes because it is just too large a folder to pocket, let alone go IWB, and so, I think, would an XXL.

An original Manix, on the other hand, would interest me greatly, especially in some ultra-premium steel favoring either wear- or fracture-resistance.

Comparing mine (the foliage green S30V sprint) with my Manix2 XL, I can say the latter may have a slightly longer blade, but the former is noticeably beefier in all other respects.

But DLC? It’s a complication (and cost) I don’t want to incur.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:25 am
Vivi, I see what you’ve done here. ;)

But, no, I wouldn’t go for an XXL. My Tatanka languishes because it is just too large a folder to pocket, let alone go IWB, and so, I think, would an XXL.

An original Manix, on the other hand, would interest me greatly, especially in some ultra-premium steel favoring either wear- or fracture-resistance.

Comparing mine (the foliage green S30V sprint) with my Manix2 XL, I can say the latter may have a slightly longer blade, but the former is noticeably beefier in all other respects.

But DLC? It’s a complication (and cost) I don’t want to incur.
The DLC blade and liners is so the knife can use a tough carbon steel while still being more corrosion resistant than the standard satin finished S30V models with uncoated liners. I know not everyone likes it, but for me it'd make the knife more practical.

Since this is all for fun anyways, might as well offer the XXL in satin finish as well!

BTW I feel like you probably don't need that FG C95 in your possession. If you want I can take it off your hands :p :D
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sorry, no. :p

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:19 am
I love the pinky hook on the XL. it anchors your grip so well. Just needs chamfered edges or rounded off like the Shaman.
I agree on both counts. It has the most perfect hand fit of any knife, for me. I'd keep the shape the same and really don't feel the need for more overall size, just round out the scales for a more handfilling grip for heavy work, something like the Shaman. Though I like and respect the original backlock, I'd keep the CBBL but give it a Ti cage.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

One of the interweb criticisms of the XL is the modest pivot. That would need to be considered.

I think a stretched version (like the Native Chief approach) could be really neat. Too tall and it could easily be ridiculous. Resilience size, perhaps even a little larger, with choil and cbbl, and I’m in.

Made in Golden, top quality would be a given, of course.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Not really for me, although I do have the XL on my 'maybe try it out if I see one for a good price' list. The regular Manix seems to take up quite a lot of space in my pocket, relative to the amount of edge it delivers. Never thought that about the Millie or Police, by comparison.

Did you ever try out the Tatanka, Vivi?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:50 am
Not really for me, although I do have the XL on my 'maybe try it out if I see one for a good price' list. The regular Manix seems to take up quite a lot of space in my pocket, relative to the amount of edge it delivers. Never thought that about the Millie or Police, by comparison.
Both of your sentences above could have been written by me... ;)

- The XL is a knife I´d absolutely like to try, but it is rather pricey and in the end I probably would rarely really carry a - for my taste - rather heavy folder. I secretly really hope for an LW version... :rolleyes:

- That´s why I sold my Manix LW: Just to huge in pocket, but still less actual edge than I prefer. Blade shape, lock, ergos, all would have been great for me though.
The XL offers more (and for me just enough) edge both absolutely and relatively to the overall package. I am pretty sure, that I´d like it´s ergos even more also, due to the (controversially discussed) "pinky hook". Judging from the Stretch, I think I´d relly like that hook, since the Stretch 1 has one too, but the Stretch 2 not anymore, and I don´t like that change in that model but really prefer th "hook" to be there.

But, again: A XXL would be most likely larger than I would want in my pocket..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah, not to digress too far from the intent of the thread, but I've been close to getting the XL a few times, but always got another knife instead in the end.

The Manix and PM2 used to be compared a lot here. Quite a few of the members here expressed about an equal liking for both of them.

I did too whenever I held them in hand to compare.

But in practice the PM2 always seemed to get carried. When I looked closely at the differences between them, as well as the reasons mentioned above, I realised I prefer the way the Millie family of knives present their blade edge with a bit of rake, or negative blade angle from the choil, out towards the belly.

They naturally bite deep into material as you do draw cuts, without having to cant your wrist forward, or use heavy downward pressure.

I'd find with the curve of that spear/leaf Manix blade, that as soon as I'd go to cut a branch or something, it would feel like I was losing power in the cut, as I'd draw the knife along to the tip. Kind of like an opposite sensation to the way a straght edged blade like a Wharncliffe feels, transferring full power out to the tip as you draw cut.

Others might have different experiences with it, depending on what they use it for. I can't say if the XL (or XXL) would have that same kind of edge orientation, but it's why I don't carry my Manixes a whole lot.
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

Voted "Definitely".

Vivi if you design the prototype, I have a feeling more people would get onboard.

Totally not trying to put you on the spot, as I do not know your CAD skills or your desire for such an endeavor. I just think if you had those skills or simply the help of someone with CAD skills, you could make this knife **** near perfect for your uses.

I feel like with your insight, and knowledge of what works and what doesn't work (well enough), that this knife would be pretty phenomenal.

Similar to the way the Jazzelica, and Waterway (etc.), were designed by forum members with a need. I have both.

Not to side track this thread, but instead of calling it a Manix XXL which may be a "too tall pocket hog". Design it to take up less side to side pocket real estate, and call it the "V" or just whatever floats your boat. I'd be onboard for sure!
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I'd buy it regardless, but I'd be interested in seeing what this would look like as well.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:22 am
Similar to the way the Jazzelica, and Waterway (etc.), were designed by forum members with a need.
I’m all in favor of members who have demonstrated a use-case, if not also their design-chops, seeking a collaboration or at least a change in this or that existing model. In my book, Vivi is one such member.

But members begging for their pet steel, lock, or scale to show up in every model leads to threads I find mostly unedifying. And worse are members who think a yet-to-be-released model should have a steel, or lock, or scale other than what has been announced. But I digress...

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:43 pm
Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
Similar to the way the Jazzelica, and Waterway (etc.), were designed by forum members with a need.
I’m all in favor of members who have demonstrated a use-case, if not also their design-chops, seeking a collaboration or at least a change in this or that existing model. In my book, Vivi is one such member.

But members begging for their pet steel, lock, or scale to show up in every model leads to threads I find mostly unedifying. And worse are members who think a yet-to-be-released model should have a steel, or lock, or scale other than what has been announced. But I digress...

I may also digress a bit, since I think that is a very interesting point - and, yes, since I am one of the members who actually started one thread recently asking if there would be interest in a "model along the lines of an existing model" coming additionally to the current lock with another lock (Caribbean-like knife not only in comp. lock, but also backlock).
I think it makes a HUGE difference if someone constantly and indiscriminately asks for a feature (lock, steel, scale) to be changed in an existing model (doing so can get annoying) OR if there is a bigger picture and general, new idea or valid observation behind such a proposal.
For me personally it is of real importance, that the latter is the case when asking for an additional, somewhat changed version of an existing model:

Let me take the above mentioned thread a about a backlock-Caribbean-like-knife as an example: The underlying idea or observation is that 1.) obviously quite a few people like Spydies with the edge going all the way back to the handle; 2.) That can be found in linerlock and comp.lock models, but not in backlock models (exeption: Centofante) (a CBBL requires some kind of choil mandatory as far as I know). So: Asking for a backlock-Caribbean is not just a rather unreflected impulse and wish that a certain model should come in two versions, but there is a thought process behind it and the personal perception of a general gap in Spydercos lineup. A much "broader discussion" somehow, than just about one specific model to be changed.

I hope by that example you get what I mean and pleaae bear with me for going off topic. But I think it was not too far, since this thread actually is about wishing for another (bigger) version of an existing model
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:12 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Chris_P_Bacon wrote:

I may also digress a bit, since I think that is a very interesting point - and, yes, since I am one of the members who actually started one thread recently asking if there would be interest in a "model along the lines of an existing model" coming additionally to the current lock with another lock (Caribbean-like knife not only in comp. lock, but also backlock).
I think it makes a HUGE difference if someone constantly and indiscriminately asks for a feature (lock, steel, scale) to be changed in an existing model (doing so can get annoying) OR if there is a bigger picture and general, new idea or valid observation behind such a proposal.
For me personally it is of real importance, that the latter is the case when asking for an additional, somewhat changed version of an existing model:

Let me take the above mentioned thread a about a backlock-Caribbean-like-knife as an example: The underlying idea or observation is that 1.) obviously quite a few people like Spydies with the edge going all the way back to the handle; 2.) That can be found in linerlock and comp.lock models, but not in backlock models (exeption: Centofante) (a CBBL requires some kind of choil mandatory as far as I know). So: Asking for a backlock-Caribbean is not just a rather unreflected impulse and wish that a certain model should come in two versions, but there is a thought process behind it and the personal perception of a general gap in Spydercos lineup. A much "broader discussion" somehow, than just about one specific model to be changed.

I hope by that example you get what I mean and pleaae bear with me for going off topic. But I think it was not too far, since this thread actually is about wishing for another (bigger) version of an existing model
I don’t think the unedifying “shoe” I was describing fits you very well, as your response shows.

Where you and I differ, if we differ at all, is how we go about discovery. You prefer to poll for what you seek with a thought-provoking proposal, where I prefer, as mentioned to you in another thread, to ponder in private the proposal that has materialized in a given Glesser model.

Learning, rather than simply wanting the knife we want, is what concerns each of us, no?

willc

Post by willc »

A Manix XXL is an outstanding idea!!!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

If it was 4V or K390 or even Cruwear, 3V, etc., Yes. S30V? Pr5obably not. I have way too many VG 10, S30V, etc. knives already.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:42 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:12 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Chris_P_Bacon wrote:

I don’t think the unedifying “shoe” I was describing fits you very well, as your response shows.

Where you and I differ, if we differ at all, is how we go about discovery. You prefer to poll for what you seek with a thought-provoking proposal, where I prefer, as mentioned to you in another thread, to ponder in private the proposal that has materialized in a given Glesser model.

Learning, rather than simply wanting the knife we want, is what concerns each of us, no?

Thanks for your kind reply!

To be clear: I was not trying to shed a better light on my person or defend my way of posting here (but you perfectly got that anyway), but just to discuss the interesting point you picked in a way: WHY do people post or propose or push an idea or wish here; when do I personally feel that this is interesting and thought-through in the light of a bigger picture, and when on the other hand is it maybe even a bit annoying and just a kind of hollow and reflexive behaviour to for example always want a certain steel or lock or whatever in any knife.

But I´ll stop here, since this is not what this thread is about.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:47 pm
If it was 4V or K390 or even Cruwear, 3V, etc., Yes. S30V? Probably not. I have way too many VG 10, S30V, etc. knives already.
I have to admit that I lean in this direction too. Which brings up the (off topic) fact that we don't even have these steels in the XL yet, or even the Manix 2, except for Cruwear and the hollow ground 4V Fradon Lock exclusive.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I like the theory but it has the risk of being a 2 to 1 handle to blade ratio haha

Gonna wrap around your whole arm like a gauntlet
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut