Why don't you have more spyderco fixed blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Why don't you have more spyderco fixed blades?

Post by JuPaul »

Out of 36 people that responded to Vivi's earlier poll, 33 people responded that their spyderco collections consist of fewer than 25% fixed blades. And of those people (myself included), most said they have numerous fixed blades, just not many spydercos. So the question that follows is: Why do you tend to choose other fixed blades over spyderco ones?

Personally, my 6 fixed blade knives are all outdoor/wilderness users btw 3.5"-7" that get abused waaay more than my folders. But I find it hard to really beat up an expensive knife, so I don't like to pay more than $100-150 for my fixed blades. I also gravitate toward grippy micarta scales and more bushcrafty designs. So there's just not much that fits my criteria in the current Spydie catalogue. I'm giving the Bow River a shot as my #7 as a slicey little mushroom hunting knife.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
knivesandbooks

Re: Why don't you have more spyderco fixed blades?

Post by knivesandbooks »

I don't like paying more than $200 for a production fixed blade, so that eliminates some choices for me.

I think my main thing is that I like more classic or traditional fixed blade designs. Kepharts, drop points with stacked leather, etc. Spyderco is very much not a classically styled company. That's okay. I do think I'll be getting the waterway before the year is out because I do like the look and idea of it. But, I'm really into my high carbon fixed blades that would have been recognizable, if not familiar, to our great grandparents.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Joey

Post by Joey »

For me, it’s value. Spyderco makes the best folders, so they always have my attention there.
There are simply too many great fixed blades out there as is, all at a fraction of the cost. But I use folders, and rarely use fixed blades...so it may just be that I don’t have much interest beyond the small handful of fixed blades ($60 or under is my price range) that I do have.
That being said, I picked up a Bow River or four! These are absolutely amazing knives for the price.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I may just copy-and-paste what I already said in Vivis thread:

" It´s a funny thing: Though I really like fixed blades, I have a very different and in a way a lot more "practical" approach to them compared to folders.

When it comes to folders, I like to try (to me) new designs, improvements, slightly different versions of knives I already own.
From a solely practical point of view I really would not need anything more than let´s say my HAP 40 Endura plus maybe occasionally the Chap LW on days I want to "go small an slicey". But, well, I guess I don´t have to explain on this forum ;) : "Solely practical" is NOT an option when it comes to Spydie-folders... :o (and I think I am even one of the more "practically oriented" Spyderco-enthusiasts on this forum, but in my "real" life everbody thinks I am crazy just cause I own 11 Spydercos... :) )

Now, fixed blades: For some reason in that area I am a lot more "practically oriented". And I just HAD already what I need when it comes to fixed blades, before I really got into Spyderco, and so (other than it is with folders !!) just felt no need to add or replace knives.

That being said: If for some reasons I lost my fixed blade users (currently 5 I really use more or less frequently) I´d surely get some Spyder-fixed blades.
First would be the waterway, looks like a perfect design... and then I´d constantly whine on this forum for an Enuff XL (same handle, but an actual eddge of 3 ") :D

Two more points:

- I think it is a lot more difficult to design a great folder than a gerat fixed blade, so maybe that´s why I appreciate well thought out folders more than fixed blades
- Though I COULD carry a fixed blade legally in my day to day life, socially it is really not accepted very well at all and also less practical than a carrying a folder. So for me fixed blades are reserved for specail occasions / outdoor use."
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Even though my percentage is higher than most that replied (33%), it's lower than my overall fixed vs folder percentage (Closer to 70-75%). There's a few reasons why:

1. Micarta is my favorite handle material for fixed blades, and its rare Spyderco uses micarta.

2. I don't like bi-directional FRN for fixed blades. Sometimes I'll carry a fixed blade under my shirt and bi-directional FRN feels bad carried against my skin. I do like FRN handled hidden tang fixed blades for their simplicity, corrosion resistance and light weight, but I prefer a smoother texture like the Street Beat VS the Aqua Salt.

3. I generally prefer steels that prioritize toughness over edge holding for fixed blades. I'd take 1095 over S90V in a heart beat if I plan to be rough on the knife. I don't see myself ever buying an S90V fixed blade.

4. Price sometimes feels high for what you get. The Temperance 2 is a knife I wanted to buy, but I could get a similar knife with a carbon tool steel custom made for half the price. My Izula 2 was $60 shipped with micarta scales and a kydex style sheath & clip. Enuff's are twice as expensive and use materials I'd rather not have on a fixed blade (Though VG10 is one of the few stainless steels I'll buy in a fixed design). The Zoomer at $400 for stainless steel? I could buy four carbon steel & micarta customs and still have $$ leftover for beer.

There are certain Spyderco fixed blades that I feel are brilliantly executed and represent a good value. The Street Bowie is one example. The Waterway is another. Then there are unique designs that have that weird Spyderco flair that you don't really see other comapnies put out, knives like the Swick.

I appreciate how in general Spyderco likes to push the steel envelope, but for a kitchen knife I'm fine with 12C27/VG10/AEBL, and for a camp knife 1095 and A2 do me fine. Sometimes simple is good.
Last edited by vivi on Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

A fixed knife is more workhorse than a folder, at least for me. Therefore the useless (trademark) hole in the blade on all new fixed knives from Spyderco is my personal main reason against fixed knives from them. Last time I checked their portfolio I felt their prices are on upper end of the range of competitors too. All this doesn't motivate me to buy.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I have no use for a fixed blade knife. Truth be told i hardly use my folder/s anymore except for mundane tasks like opening boxes and packages..
So there is that.. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I'd love to use my Spyderco Enuff for work and as an EDC, but the reality of it is that despite open-carry of fixed blade knives being legal where I live (British Columbia), it just isn't very socially acceptable outside of, say, backpackers with their companion knives or the local Sikh population with their kirpan, particularly if you're talking about urban/suburban areas. I'd definitely buy more Spyderco fixed blades if I had more opportunities to use them in my daily life.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Folders are safer and more convenient for my uses.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ease of concealment, but mostly putting the knife away after use in stressful situations is an issue. Once a folder is closed, there's no more danger involved with putting it away. With a fixed blade I have an open edge that I'm trying to stick into a small hole, which wouldn't be too bad if I didn't have to conceal it for work. My only solution so far has been a pocket sheaths which worked well for concealment and drawing but getting it back into the sheath is a PITA and dangerous.

The other issues (at least with Spyderco fixed blades) are 1) cost and 2) size/model/steel choices. I like the Enuff models and even the steel but the blade designs need some tweaking. I like the ARK but I really want a wharnie. Basically there are a lot of compromises vs how I use and carry a folder.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I guess the most basic reason I don't own more fixed blade Spydies is that I already have too many custom fixed blades that don't see enough use. Of course, I could say the same thing about folding Spydies but it doesn't seem to stop me from buying them.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

To answer your questions JP, I guess it's because my initial motivation for acquiring fixed blades was as a practical tool for hunting, 'bushcraft' type outdoor duties, or cooking.

I didn't aim to have a 'collection' at all, I just wanted to have some good quality knives that filled different niche needs for me.

I ended up mostly with locally made customs for hunting and game processing knives. The 'bushcraft' knives were some classic established patterns mostly in carbon steels, or 12C27, like the O1 Enzo Trapper, traditional puukko knives, Moras, and more recently, the Beckers. My kitchen knives are mostly customs or handmade Japanese knives.

Later I got more interested in different traditional knife patterns used in different cultures around the world.

I guess I just never really considered Spyderco fixed blades in any of those roles or categories until recently, especially since you can get a custom knife for around the same price or less here.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

With the exception of the Bradley Bowie and the Province which I’ll buy eventually I think I have all the Spyderco fixed blades which appeal to me.

At present the Australian Dollar is at its lowest in ten years so as an example the Province at $US260 + $US25 shipping comes to $AU423. Add to that 10% ($US26) Goods and services tax and some other BS charge I don’t even understand and making pointy sticks becomes a rather expensive pastime. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Most of my fixed blades live in the kitchen and nothing Spyderco makes has really appealed to me for that use. The recently discontinued Corian chef knife looked decent but didn't have much belly for a chef, the price wasn't amazing for vg10 and the trademark hole is just a crud/bacteria collector in the kitchen.

If they make a larger version on the zcut in the future, I'll get one to compare with the ol' Victorinox offset bread knife. American made with bd1n at that price is impressive, but I have no use for an offset knife that's only 4in.

The upcoming Murray Carter knives look great, but probably are going to cost more than I'm willing to pay. We will see.

As far as non kitchen fixed blades, they're awkward and obtrusive for my typical uses as I don't camp, hunt, fish, Bushcraft or practice martial arts. At work, I'm often in areas/positions where a belt sheath would be digging into my side, so folders only. As far as off work time, I can't really think of many times a folder has been insufficient for what I need to do. Those few times, I'm usually doing yard work and I'd be better off with a hatchet or saw so I just go to the shed and get the proper tool.

TLDR: not much need for fixed blades in my life and Spyderco doesn't make the few I'm looking for.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Because I prefer smaller folders. The only time I really use a fixed blade anymore is in the kitchen.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
anycal

Post by anycal »

I don't have any. All but one of my fixed blades came before I bought my first Spyderco. I rarely use them, so I don't buy any new ones.

If I was shopping for a new one, there are a handful of non-Spyderco that I would consider first. As for a Spyderco, the Bradley Bowie appeals to me the most.
Peter
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I do intend to get a waterway and the new swick, but fixed blades don't currently fit 99% of my use cases. Fixed blades are inherently easier to handle and more reliable, for sure, but where they falter is the safe, consistent return to carry.

With a folding knife I can make it carry-safe while in my hand, immediately after my use, and then toss it into any pocket to free up both hands. With a fixed blade, I need to devote some minimum amount of attention to placing it back into a sheath. Any mistakes and I have a very sharp edge sliding wrong somewhere within an inch of my body.

That said, this is entirely a facet of the way that I conduct my current cutting tasks.

the cycle for me is typically intermittent:

work---need to cut---pull out knife and cut, return to pocket---work some more

however, if my tasks consisted of needing the knife for the bulk of the work - such as batonning or trimming up a fencepost, then I could definitely understand how the return to safe carry becomes a much less frequent occurrence, say at the end of a work period. I wouldn't dream of unsheathing and resheathing an axe for each blow, and I feel my uses for a fixed blade would be treated similarly.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Interesting that so many of us have similar responses here. Seems like for those of us that use fixed blades at all outside of the kitchen, we mostly use them outdoors (rather than for general edc), and we mostly all prefer more traditional bushcraft, hunting, or "survival" designs with micarta/leather scales and tougher high carbon steels. And we want all that in a relatively inexpensive package, which we get much more readily from other manufacturers. I'd definitely be interested to see more affordable spyderco interpretations of the traditional outdoors designs. With that said, I appreciate that spyderco goes its own way in everything it does, and always pushes the envelope, even if it means there's not always something for me.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Monty

Post by Monty »

There's just too many companies that specialize in fixed blades in niche fixed blade roles for Spyderco to really be competitive.

The Pygmy Warrior is the only fixed blade from Spyderco that I really used and it was essentially a production run of the Hobbit.

Fillet, combat, bushcrafting, kitchen, game processing.... There's too many companies that specialize in just one or two of those.

I think Spyderco would do well in making more fixed blade diving knives at a lower pricepoint, the company is known in the diving community but most opt for what's cheap and available at the dive shop.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I don’t know why I don’t have more. Probably the same as others, I like carrying a folder day to day, but fixed for my outdoor/weekend uses. So my “buying” focus is usually on what I can use everyday.