What percentage of your Spyderco collection consists of fixed blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What percentage of your Spyderco collection consists of fixed blades?

0%
32%
10% or less
36%
25% or less
22%
50% or less
9%
75% or less
No votes
76-99%
1%
100%
No votes

Total votes: 87

BLUETYPEII

Re: What percentage of your Spyderco collection consists of fixed blades?

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Oops double post.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

1 Waterway out of total 4 Spydies.....In the future I might buy the Bow river. Junction also seems very nice, one online shop still has them, so many even that model.

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:27 pm
Shame the Bow River didn’t follow suit to the Sprig and Southfork. ;)
Hey Bloke, what do you mean by that? Like a CPM S90V treatment and Taiwan made?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

I have 19 FB's which to me is quite a few.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:55 pm
Bloke wrote:
Hey Bloke, what do you mean by that? Like a CPM S90V treatment and Taiwan made?
Hi Pan, yes, my personal preference would have been S90V and Taiwan made with the same green G10 scales as the Sprig and Southfork. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd like to see that green G10 on a carbon steel fixed blade myself. Something about the way green scales and a heavy patina go together appeals to my eye.
:unicorn
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:05 pm
Hi Pan, yes, my personal preference would have been S90V and Taiwan made with the same green G10 scales as the Sprig and Southfork. :)
Yeah, S90V would be cool, but on the other hand, it made their pricetags very high. I am ok with the Bow river as is.
Vivi wrote: I'd like to see that green G10 on a carbon steel fixed blade myself. Something about the way green scales and a heavy patina go together appeals to my eye.
Would you also consider some tool steel like O1? :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I'm right at ten percent. I'll be buying at least two more by the end of the year though. Spyderco has a much better lineup of fixed blades now than just a few years ago. I think they need one flagship fixed blade though. Something that would be like the PM2 is to folders.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:41 pm
Bloke wrote:
Yeah, S90V would be cool, but on the other hand, it made their pricetags very high. I am ok with the Bow river as is.
Vivi wrote: I'd like to see that green G10 on a carbon steel fixed blade myself. Something about the way green scales and a heavy patina go together appeals to my eye.
01 or A2 would be awesome.

Also, no Spydie fixed blades. I have trouble finding ones that suit me. I'll be getting the waterway, though, so that will be one. I'm an LT Wright fan with the fixed blades and I like more of the classic style stuff. About to be commissioning a custom, handmade Kephart from a very talented maker.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

My vote: 0 % ...

It´s a funny thing: Though I really like fixed blades, I have a very different and in a way a lot more "practical" approach to them compared to folders.

When it comes to folders, I like to try (to me) new designs, improvements, slightly different versions of knives I already own.
From a solely practical point of view I really would not need anything more than let´s say my HAP 40 Endura plus maybe occasionally the Chap LW on days I want to "go small an slicey". But, well, I guess I don´t have to explain on this forum ;) : "Solely practical" is NOT an option when it comes to Spydie-folders... :o (and I think I am even one of the more "practically oriented" Spyderco-enthusiasts on this forum, but in my "real" life everbody thinks I am crazy just cause I own 11 Spydercos... :) )

Now, fixed blades: For some reason in that area I am a lot more "practically oriented". And I just HAD already what I need when it comes to fixed blades, before I really got into Spyderco, and so (other than it is with folders !!) just felt no need to add or replace knives.

That being said: If for some reasons I lost my fixed blade users (currently 5 I really use more or less frequently) I´d surely get some Spyder-fixed blades.
First would be the waterway, looks like a perfect design... and then I´d constantly whine on this forum for an Enuff XL (same handle, but an actual eddge of 3 ") :D

Two more points:

- I think it is a lot more difficult to design a great folder than a gerat fixed blade, so maybe that´s why I appreciate well thought out folders more than fixed blades
- Though I COULD carry a fixed blade legally in my day to day life, socially it is really not accepted very well at all and also less practical than a carrying a folder. So for me fixed blades are reserved for specail occasions / outdoor use.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:19 pm
If you’re looking for a Spyderco fixed blade for self defense I think the Waterway would serve you well.
I'll take a look at it. Right now the two Spyderco fixed blades that I want are the Street Beat and Ankerson/Sanders Bowie.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

As far as planned purchases go, I'm buying a Swick 5 day one, and plan to buy another Street Beat before 2020. I'm sure I'll grab a Bow River as well assuming the handle gives me a nice grip.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:41 pm
Bloke wrote:
Sure would. O1 takes an insanely sharp edge for me, based on the O1 knives I have heat treated by Peters in PA.
:unicorn
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Around 10% (mostly mules and swicks) and I probably only use them around 2% of the time, but sometimes they have a valuable function just being there.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Just a little over 10% (3 fixed blades--a Waterway, a Schempp Rock, and an Enuff Leaf Blade--out of 28 Spydercos in total). I do plan on purchasing at least 2 more fixed blade Spydercos over the next several months, though (the Ronin 2 in CTS-BD1 and the Enuff Sheepsfoot Salt in H1).
pR13S7

Post by pR13S7 »

I have 17 spyderco knives, bit zero of them are fixed...
I think it's because in my country is much more easier to buy a custom fixed blade from a local knifemaker, with all your personal wishes and materials at a price comparable (or even lower) to spyderco knives.
And another reason is that I'm a huge fan of scandi-grind fixed knifes. But, unfortunately, the only spyderco scandi-grind fixed blade is illegal in my country :(
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Even though my last three Spyderco purchases have all been fixed blades, they still account for considerably less than 10% of my Spyderco collection.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:01 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:00 pm
I have 2. Never carry either. I just can't figure out a carry method that I like.
Hey I would really like to help you with a method of carrying a fixed blade. There are dangelers, cross-draw sheaths, pancake sheaths. What knife/ knives are we talking about and are you a righty or a lefty? Also what is your normal daily attire?

I've got a Street Beat and a Ronin 2. My problem is I dress in a uniform for work and it must be concealed. I've played around with pocket sheaths but reholstering is still an issue with those. Besides concealment the bigger issue is that I often need to use them quick and with little attention to fine motor skills, so it's draw/cut/pocket and that seems more difficult with a fixed blade than with clipping a folder into the much larger hole of a pocket.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I have 7 fixed blades (Enuff salt, 2 Swicks, the ARK in both SE & PE, 2 of the little paring knives), while I have somewhere around 50 folders.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Of the 22 Spyders I have 7 are fixed blades so 30% odd. Unless a new Military Sprint happens in the mean time the Province is the next Spyder I’ll buy.

If I take into account all the knives I own I’d reckon I have way more fixed blades than folders.

I voted: 50% or less. :)
Must be a Aussie thing, just under 30% are fixed for me in Spyderco.

In all knives more fixed than folders easy.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:55 pm
1 Waterway out of total 4 Spydies.....In the future I might buy the Bow river. Junction also seems very nice, one online shop still has them, so many even that model.
Man don’t miss out on the Junction, one sweet fixed blade. Last knife I bought and loving it.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

About 1% with just the Kumo and a Yang :p
I like fixed blades, but I tend to stick with folders.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto