What percentage of your Spyderco collection consists of fixed blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What percentage of your Spyderco collection consists of fixed blades?

0%
32%
10% or less
36%
25% or less
22%
50% or less
9%
75% or less
No votes
76-99%
1%
100%
No votes

Total votes: 87

jacala

Re: What percentage of your Spyderco collection consists of fixed blades?

Post by jacala »

I have approx 40+ ? Spydie folders and 2x Aqua Salts serrated and 2x Jumpmasters serrated.
Also to keep in good with my better half, a Santoku x 1 and 2x Utility knives (6' and 4") she uses for food prep.
Just remembered, I have,I think, 2 other fixed blade survival knives.
Just remembered: I have a Spyderco Kumo stashed away.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I missed the kitchen knives when I voted 25% or less. I'm actually in the meager 50% or less category.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

no spyderco fixed blades but am looking at the esee candiru, izula 2
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Yeah, I don't know what it is. I like the Spyderco fixed blades but I stick with Esee. Just ordered the AGK model for skinning. I think for myself it's more about the geometry of fixed blades when it comes to buying them. I almost always have a fixed blade neck knife on. They are just so handy. And I prefer the micarta scales for grip. I dig my Izula and Izula ll they work well. I do appreciate the work horse designs Esee puts out.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Since I do not get the chance to go in the woods I have a hard time justifying a fixed blade even in the kitchen, Spyderco makes incredibly useful folders for that even.

My Hundred Pacer in CTS-XHP is the dedicated kitchen folder. As for the others I use them also just clean them the same as any other kitchen knife befor use and use alcohol to keep the tape gunk off the blades, a little food grade mineral oil and who needs a fixed blade?

Not a gourmet cook so no need for dedicated fixed blades and no room either.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:28 am
OT, I know, but if you're considering the Izula: Maybe also take a look at the White River Backpacker (paracord wrap handle) or Backpacker Pro (G10 handle, removable).
In shape a lot like the Izula, just a tad larger, great sheath and S35VN instead of 1095 (the former imho better for a small (!) fixed blade). Roughly same price, if you calculate grip and handle... and also US made.
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

Zero.

I get my fixed blade fix other places. I find the true value of Spyderco in their folding knives.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

My collection fluctuates frequently, but at the moment I have about 30% fixed blades. That's if I don't count the blades hanging on the wall in my shop that I haven't finished building. 11 of my 24 fixed blades are Spydercos and 7 of those are Mules. Most of my fixed blades are custom knives I've made myself. For what it's worth, the 2 Spyderco fixed blades I find myself using the most are my Waterway and my Sprig.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Not sure on a percentage. Off the top of my head I can think of 21 fixed Spydies.

I have:
Swick3 (x2)
Swick4 (x2)
52100 Mule
M4 Mule
S110V Mule
Maxamet Mule
CPM-20CV Mule
CPM 4V Mule
K04 Utility
K08 Santoku
Street Beat
Schempp Rock
Temperance2
Puukko
Southfork
Sprig
Bradley Bowie
Bushcraft
Proficient

I also have the Province and Waterway on my wish list. I am still on the fence with the Bow River.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:15 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:01 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:00 pm
I have 2. Never carry either. I just can't figure out a carry method that I like.
Hey I would really like to help you with a method of carrying a fixed blade. There are dangelers, cross-draw sheaths, pancake sheaths. What knife/ knives are we talking about and are you a righty or a lefty? Also what is your normal daily attire?

I've got a Street Beat and a Ronin 2. My problem is I dress in a uniform for work and it must be concealed. I've played around with pocket sheaths but reholstering is still an issue with those. Besides concealment the bigger issue is that I often need to use them quick and with little attention to fine motor skills, so it's draw/cut/pocket and that seems more difficult with a fixed blade than with clipping a folder into the much larger hole of a pocket.
IWB beneath a shirt? They can be just as quick as folders that way unless you have to keep your shirt tucked in.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:23 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
OT, I know, but if you're considering the Izula: Maybe also take a look at the White River Backpacker (paracord wrap handle) or Backpacker Pro (G10 handle, removable).
In shape a lot like the Izula, just a tad larger, great sheath and S35VN instead of 1095 (the former imho better for a small (!) fixed blade). Roughly same price, if you calculate grip and handle... and also US made.
Do they sell those for $60 somewhere I can't find? Last I looked they were closer to $100.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:29 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:15 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:01 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:00 pm
I have 2. Never carry either. I just can't figure out a carry method that I like.
Hey I would really like to help you with a method of carrying a fixed blade. There are dangelers, cross-draw sheaths, pancake sheaths. What knife/ knives are we talking about and are you a righty or a lefty? Also what is your normal daily attire?

I've got a Street Beat and a Ronin 2. My problem is I dress in a uniform for work and it must be concealed. I've played around with pocket sheaths but reholstering is still an issue with those. Besides concealment the bigger issue is that I often need to use them quick and with little attention to fine motor skills, so it's draw/cut/pocket and that seems more difficult with a fixed blade than with clipping a folder into the much larger hole of a pocket.
IWB beneath a shirt? They can be just as quick as folders that way unless you have to keep your shirt tucked in.

Yeah, gotta be tucked in. I've even been over this with our old buddy Dr. Snubnose who is a concealed carry ninja and he agreed that tucking in really limits the options. I think if I could get away with just open carry on my belt I would be MUCH more open to fixed blades.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Do they sell those for $60 somewhere I can't find? Last I looked they were closer to $100.

When I bought my Backpacker (previous version, S30V, current version is in S35VN) at least the European price was almost exactly like the price of the Izula (both with sheats and handle scales).

But if a complete Izula 2 (incl. sheath and scales) can indeed be found for USD 60 in the US, I am pretty sure the backpacker can't compete with that price and I was wrong!

(Still, I'd gladly pay a lot more for the backpacker than for the Izula: In my use better steel for a small (!) fixed blade and just that VERY usefull tad longer blade).
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:08 am
I have:
Swick3 (x2)
Swick4 (x2)
52100 Mule
M4 Mule
S110V Mule
Maxamet Mule
CPM-20CV Mule
CPM 4V Mule
K04 Utility
K08 Santoku
Street Beat
Schempp Rock
Temperance2
Puukko
Southfork
Sprig
Bradley Bowie
Bushcraft
Proficient
I just want to say I hate you :D
That is some serious money in those knives.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

deleted
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
KarlG

Post by KarlG »

It WAS 0% for Spyderco FB and about 15% overall for all knives. Today I ordered my first Spyderco FB-Province.
:spyder: Karl
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

KarlG wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:24 pm
It WAS 0% for Spyderco FB and about 15% overall for all knives. Today I ordered my first Spyderco FB-Province.
Quite off topic, I know, but since I noticed your name for the first time here, I looked up your profile, and read (quote):

"Interests: Rescue, Aviation Medicine, Flying, Motorcycling
Occupation: Health Care, Aviation Medicine, Emergency Aviation Health Transport Assistance"

I´d be really courious which knives (Spyders...) you like to carry in resuce - and aviation health transport- situations (if you carry something special at all then)
Maybe you´d like to share briefly ?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I have a jumpmaster (rope cutter for ocean jobs) and a cold steel ak47 field knife in 3v (survival knife/chopper). I used to have some Russian knife in 4v but have it to my son in law. I typically don't need a fixed blade despite preferring them in use. The convenience of folders wins me over.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
bearfacedkiller

Pancake wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:49 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:08 am
I have:
I just want to say I hate you :D
That is some serious money in those knives.
I am a deal shark and I have been collecting these over a pretty long period of time. They are a combination of factory seconds, used knives, trades, gifts, discontinued closeouts and 20% off eBay deals. I am definitely not as spendy of a person as this makes it look like when you spread it out over quite a few years.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Wartstein wrote:
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
I find Esee’s edges to be way too thick, especially the Izula. Not a fan. If I wanted another knife like that I would buy the Bradford Guardian 3.5. I love my Street Beat and BK14 so for now I’ll stick with them.

I will buy the White River Sendero Classic at some point. Haven’t actually handled one of their knives yet.
-Darby