What would folding pocket knives look like if Sal never started Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
013
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:45 pm
Location: 41.422270 -73.678260

Re: What would folding pocket knives look like if Sal never started Spyderco?

Postby 013 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:25 am
013 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:33 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:20 am
Out of curiosity, when did flipper tabs become a thing? Does anyone know who first debuted them?
Off the top of my head, if I'm not mistaken, i believe it was Blackie Collins. I remember purchasing my first flipper of his design in the late 90's. It was fiber reinforced nylon, including the blade, and it was assisted. They had a metal bladed version, but i was still a little sceptical about the design....so I went with the cheaper one to try it out.
An frn blade?? Woa, didn't know that even existed! Knifemaking history is so interesting...
Yeah, it was pretty cool. You had to sharpen it with an emery board or sandpaper. It was all plastic except for a beryllium spring. I think it was designed that way to be able to slip by certain inspections covertly.
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: What would folding pocket knives look like if Sal never started Spyderco?

Postby JuPaul » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:01 pm

013 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:56 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:00 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:32 am
013 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:33 am


Off the top of my head, if I'm not mistaken, i believe it was Blackie Collins. I remember purchasing my first flipper of his design in the late 90's. It was fiber reinforced nylon, including the blade, and it was assisted. They had a metal bladed version, but i was still a little sceptical about the design....so I went with the cheaper one to try it out.
I’m no historian of knives but the Blackie Collins reference didn’t sound right. Check this: https://knifenews.com/how-did-the-flipp ... o-popular/
Thanks! Someone else mentioned CRKT earlier...appears they did have the first mass produced flipper design.
I remember when I purchased the Blackie Collins blade, & I also remember when I purchased an CRKT M-16 flipper when they first came out. They were years apart. It was a while ago, so clearly this subject is going to require some research.
Even that article mentioned there is some debate on the subject. If you feel like digging into it more, I'd be interested to know what you find!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
013
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:45 pm
Location: 41.422270 -73.678260

Re: What would folding pocket knives look like if Sal never started Spyderco?

Postby 013 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:02 pm

The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: What would folding pocket knives look like if Sal never started Spyderco?

Postby JuPaul » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:04 pm

013 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:25 am
013 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:33 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:20 am
Out of curiosity, when did flipper tabs become a thing? Does anyone know who first debuted them?
Off the top of my head, if I'm not mistaken, i believe it was Blackie Collins. I remember purchasing my first flipper of his design in the late 90's. It was fiber reinforced nylon, including the blade, and it was assisted. They had a metal bladed version, but i was still a little sceptical about the design....so I went with the cheaper one to try it out.
An frn blade?? Woa, didn't know that even existed! Knifemaking history is so interesting...
Yeah, it was pretty cool. You had to sharpen it with an emery board or sandpaper. It was all plastic except for a beryllium spring. I think it was designed that way to be able to slip by certain inspections covertly.
Inspired by the ol' prison yard toothbrush shiv, no doubt. ;) :p
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
013
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:45 pm
Location: 41.422270 -73.678260

Re: What would folding pocket knives look like if Sal never started Spyderco?

Postby 013 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:11 pm

Sorry everybody, I was wrong about the one that I had. It does not have a flipper tab. I went to look & found one for sale & it is exactly like the one I had. I've been wrong before, & I will be wrong again. When I posted, it was early in the day & I didn't have my full dose of coffee yet.....Anyway, here it is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACKIE-COLLIN ... ect=mobile
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:

User avatar
013
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:45 pm
Location: 41.422270 -73.678260

Re: What would folding pocket knives look like if Sal never started Spyderco?

Postby 013 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:13 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:04 pm
013 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:25 am
013 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:33 am


Off the top of my head, if I'm not mistaken, i believe it was Blackie Collins. I remember purchasing my first flipper of his design in the late 90's. It was fiber reinforced nylon, including the blade, and it was assisted. They had a metal bladed version, but i was still a little sceptical about the design....so I went with the cheaper one to try it out.
An frn blade?? Woa, didn't know that even existed! Knifemaking history is so interesting...
Yeah, it was pretty cool. You had to sharpen it with an emery board or sandpaper. It was all plastic except for a beryllium spring. I think it was designed that way to be able to slip by certain inspections covertly.
Inspired by the ol' prison yard toothbrush shiv, no doubt. ;) :p
Yeah, I was young & I thought "boy, all the things I could do with this":
007, navy seal, cia, ninja........
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:

User avatar
013
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:45 pm
Location: 41.422270 -73.678260

Re: What would folding pocket knives look like if Sal never started Spyderco?

Postby 013 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Thank goodness Spyderco doesn't mess with assisted.
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:

User avatar
npad69
Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:07 pm
Location: Palawan, Philippines

Re: What would folding pocket knives look like if Sal never started Spyderco?

Postby npad69 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Probably the classic buck design with the nailnicks

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1199
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: What would folding pocket knives look like if Sal never started Spyderco?

Postby Cambertree » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:55 pm

If I recall right Spyderco tend to reference Kit Carson when they talk about their flipper design, but I’m not sure if they’re talking about the invention of that opening feature, or a particular type of flipper tab. (Don’t really know anything about that type of design, as I’ve never owned a flipper.)

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: What would folding pocket knives look like if Sal never started Spyderco?

Postby JuPaul » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:57 pm

013 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:11 pm
Sorry everybody, I was wrong about the one that I had. It does not have a flipper tab. I went to look & found one for sale & it is exactly like the one I had. I've been wrong before, & I will be wrong again. When I posted, it was early in the day & I didn't have my full dose of coffee yet.....Anyway, here it is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACKIE-COLLIN ... ect=mobile
Woa, sharpening the plastic serrations with an emery board must have taken some real dedication!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AlexRus, anycal, archangel, belligerentfool, Bing [Bot], cabfrank, jbabr, Majestic-12 [Bot], p_atrick, prndltech, Soulrack, soulspy, Spydergirl88, standy99, WRB and 12 guests