Native 5 in G10 vs. Native 5 Lightweight in FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Native 5 in G10 vs. Native 5 Lightweight in FRN

Post by zuludelta »

Hey all, just a question for any folks out there who have extensive experience using the Native 5 in both G10 & FRN versions: From a functional/ergonomic perspective, is there a reason to buy the former over the latter?

The Native 5 is my favourite Spyderco folder design & it is my most used work knife. It just fits my hand like a glove (the Yojimbo 2 is a close second, but it's not nearly as work-friendly, unfortunately). I have FRN-handled versions of the Native in S30V, S110V, S35VN, and LC200N but as much as I love the design, I can't outright justify paying the premium for one with G10 handle scales (let alone the carbon fibre ones in S90V).

I realize that what one is paying extra for with the G10 model is more premium handle materials, but my main interest in the knife is as a user, and not so much as a "pocket jewelry" collector.

Do the G10 handle scales offer distinct improvements in ergonomics? Do the phosphor-bronze washers improve the action so much as to be worth the price increase over the washer-less FRN model? Is the experience of using the G10 version appreciably different from that of the FRN version? (Note: the weight difference between the G10 & FRN models is negligible to me)
SG89

Re: Native 5 in G10 vs. Native 5 Lightweight in FRN

Post by SG89 »

Peel ply g10 is hardly "pocket jewelry". It's a user's scale material as it is very difficult to break from impact, crack from heat or cold, and resists scratching/gouging. G10 is awesome you should give it a try.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Thanks for the reply! And yeah, I should have been more clear, I didn't mean to imply that G10 is less robust than FRN (I have a couple of G10-handled work knives, not just in the Native format), just that I don't want to buy a G10-handled knife I already have in FRN just to feed a collector mindset (slippery slope to compulsive buying and all that). I guess what I'm actually doing is trying to rationalize a prospective purchase & looking for enablers in the forum :D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The real question should be are you ready to try something else in the native family? Chief, Lil Native, or Shaman :D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:55 pm
The real question should be are you ready to try something else in the native family? Chief, Lil Native, or Shaman :D
The Li'l Native has been jumping in & out of my online shopping cart ever since it's been released :D I'm waiting for it to come out in a different steel (holding out for LC200N or CTS-BD1N) but I just might pull the trigger on the standard version one of these days.
vivi

Post by vivi »

IMO the G10 Native offers no advantage over a Native Salt. You pay more for a heavier, more corrosion prone knife and gain no working benefits.
:unicorn
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:36 pm
IMO the G10 Native offers no advantage over a Native Salt. You pay more for a heavier, more corrosion prone knife and gain no working benefits.
Thanks for the reply Vivi. Very useful for my particular circumstance too, as one of the alternatives to the Native in G10 that I've been looking at is a Native LW Salt in SE (I already have the Native LW Salt in PE which is my IWB trail running knife--but I find serrations very useful at my job)
anycal

Post by anycal »

Do the G10 handle scales offer distinct improvements in ergonomics?
- No. They are the same shape and size.

Do the phosphor-bronze washers improve the action so much as to be worth the price increase over the washer-less FRN model?
- No. Not in my experience. I guess time will tell which wears better. For me, FRN going on 3 years; linerless G10 less than a year.

Is the experience of using the G10 version appreciably different from that of the FRN version? (Note: the weight difference between the G10 & FRN models is negligible to me)
- Yes. Each different handle material feels different. That said, for the majority of use/cuts, there is no advantage of one vs the other. For certain holds, the FRN may provide more grip, while the G10 may be more comfortable or not as abrasive. To a lesser extent, the weight difference does provide a different experience, both in cutting and carryability.

Some differences from my experience.

The FRN lock bar spring sits in plastic. On the G10 model, it is in a steel back spacer. I like to take my knives apart. And although I haven't had a problem with my Native, it is difficult to keep that spring in place during re-assembly on my Delica. The plastic spacer flexes under load, when exposed. No big deal, and definitely not an issue once assembled.

The corners of the scales tend to be pretty sharp, both on the FRN and G10 models. I like to take those corners down some on few of my knives. Due to the screw placement, and the lack of them on one side of the FRN, there is more 'meat' on the FRN to take those sharp edges down for comfort. I am able to make them more chamfered on the FRN.

Double screw construction makes the G10 version arguably 'stronger'.

Pocket clip - purely aesthetic and very personal, but I like the layout of the G10 clip much better.

My Spyderco collection consists of three models where I have both FRN and G10 - Native 5, Delica 4, Manix 2, and UKPK. There is a place for both in my use.
Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have Native 5s in LW and G10 models. I think the G10 knives are nicer overall with the steel back spacer etc, but I carry the LWs much more often. The LWs are just more practical for me to carry at work.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm a fan of the FRN Lightweight knives in general, and the Native LW is one of my favorites. I prefer them to their G10 counterparts for their reduced weight, increased texture, and the lower price doesn't hurt either. I wish we would see more LW sprints and exclusives. We need a Native LW and Manix LW in steels like Cruwear and 4V!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

zuludelta wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:04 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thanks for the reply Vivi. Very useful for my particular circumstance too, as one of the alternatives to the Native in G10 that I've been looking at is a Native LW Salt in SE (I already have the Native LW Salt in PE which is my IWB trail running knife--but I find serrations very useful at my job)
I think the only Native Salt with serrations was a sprint run that's sold out. The regular Native 5 in FRN has a serrated option though.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:32 pm
zuludelta wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:04 pm
Vivi wrote:
I think the only Native Salt with serrations was a sprint run that's sold out. The regular Native 5 in FRN has a serrated option though.
Native 5 salt fully serrated is available now.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i didn’t care for the balance of the lined g10 version compared to the lw. that said, i want a g10 lil native with liners and a comp lock, so maybe i don’t know what i’m talking about.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

Oh nice, I was on the fence about ordering one to try out LC200N, but I held out for the waterway. I may try a serrated one though!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My first G10 Native is the smooth G10/CruWear KC exclusive and I really like it! feels even more solid than the FRN version and the linerless G10 isn't too heavy.

I'm glad to have both, but wouldn't personally want the linered version.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

anycal wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:37 pm

<snip!>

Do the phosphor-bronze washers improve the action so much as to be worth the price increase over the washer-less FRN model?
- No. Not in my experience. I guess time will tell which wears better. For me, FRN going on 3 years; linerless G10 less than a year.

<snip!>

Is the experience of using the G10 version appreciably different from that of the FRN version? (Note: the weight difference between the G10 & FRN models is negligible to me)
- Yes. Each different handle material feels different. That said, for the majority of use/cuts, there is no advantage of one vs the other.

<snip!>
Thank you for the very detailed response anycal, particularly the comment on PB washers on the G10 model vis-à-vis the washerless FRN model. I am able to "Spydie-flick" the Native 5 FRN about as easily as I can a Delica 4 or Chaparral FRN, but always wondered if I was missing something by sticking with the Native 5 FRN model.
Sharp Guy wrote: I have Native 5s in LW and G10 models. I think the G10 knives are nicer overall with the steel back spacer etc, but I carry the LWs much more often. The LWs are just more practical for me to carry at work.
steelcity16 wrote: I'm a fan of the FRN Lightweight knives in general, and the Native LW is one of my favorites. I prefer them to their G10 counterparts for their reduced weight, increased texture, and the lower price doesn't hurt either.
There is something to be said about what Nick Shabazz calls the "cost-carry comfort curve" when it comes to work knives. Past a certain price point, I am perhaps (subconsciously) more hesitant to use a knife full-bore & push it to its limits (a knife is my most used tool at my warehouse job where I am also a senior occupational first aid responder--in emergencies I have occasionally used my combo edge Native 5 LW in lieu of my Leatherman Raptor to expose/free an injured limb!). And for me, the Native 5 in G10 is right at that price point.

Thank you to everybody who has replied thus far, this community is the best! :)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The FRN version is light, affordable and just as functional as the others.

I prefer the linerless G10 version even though it is more expensive. It’s just nicer.

The G10 version with liners is too heavy IMO.

Variety is the spice of life. Pick you poison.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Stop sitting on the fence about the Lil Native. It is a great knife. I was on the fence about this for a long time and I finally jumped off and got one. After I got it I kicked myself for waiting so long to get one. It’s great. I got the back lock version.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:07 am
Stop sitting on the fence about the Lil Native. It is a great knife. I was on the fence about this for a long time and I finally jumped off and got one. After I got it I kicked myself for waiting so long to get one.
After reading through all of the comments in this thread, I think I am buying a Li'l Native (not now, but soon-ish), not as a substitute for the full-sized Native 5 in G10, but to fill a different role in my knife rotation: it will serve in a "convenience cutter/EDC" role rather than a dedicated work knife. It's different enough from the Native 5 LW that I won't feel like I'm re-buying a knife I already own whilst still letting me try out PB washers & G10 handles in the Native form factor: I've read somewhere that the "cockpit" of the Native 5, Li'l Native & Native Chief is roughly the same across all 3 models.

As for the addition to my work knife rotation, instead of the Native 5 in G10, I'm getting a Native 5 Lightweight Salt in SE.

Thanks for all the replies, guys (and girl :D )!
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

I agree with the budding consensus that they are not noticeably different in functionality. However, I find that the G10 version just feels nicer, at least to me. I like the balance better, and I I like the little extra bit of heft that the G10 gives the knife. I would equate it somewhat to the more solid "thud" of a Mercedes door closing versus the lighter, rattlier clack of a Toyota or whatever. It's just a more premium feeling material, even if it does have its own drawbacks.