Looking at a Caly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Looking at a Caly

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Find myself looking at the Caly after gaining an better appreciation for thin blade stock, how do the owners of this knife feel and which steel do you recommend.

Oh and is the CF version slick CF like Knifecenter puts out?

Thanks.
SG89

Re: Looking at a Caly

Post by SG89 »

Which caly?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'm guessing caly 3.5 zdp, the only one available new? It's super slick cf
Last edited by GarageBoy on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:47 am
Which caly?
I see it in different steels. I was mostly wondering about people’s experience with it as a slicer. How does it compare let’s say to a delica or a Endura and yes 3.5 inch version.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:57 am
I'm guessing caly 3.5 zdp, the only one available new? It's super slick zdp189
Darn that is what I was afraid of I absolutely hate a slick handle on a knife.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

There's a LW version in the works as well. Not much is known about it (Sal confirmed that it won't be pinned). If I were in the market for a Caly, I'd try and wait it out until that version is released. Again, no idea how long the wait will be.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

You could try and hunt down a used g10 one (in vg 10)

Caly 3 also came in g10 and hap40, and less commonly superblue
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I had a caly 3 in hap40 and a caly 3.5 in vg10. Both excellent slicers. Prefer the 3.5 blade shape. I prefer a caly 3.5 over a delica or endura.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doeswhateveraspidercan

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:02 am
There's a LW version in the works as well. Not much is known about it (Sal confirmed that it won't be pinned). If I were in the market for a Caly, I'd try and wait it out until that version is released. Again, no idea how long the wait will be.
Ah thanks did not realize the Caly was a pinned knife. Wow thanks for saving me that purchase hate the idea of not being able to take apart and clean.

Will wait for the LW version chances are it will be VG-10 which I really like.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Caly3 replaced a Kershaw Leek, for me, and I never looked back. For the blade thickness it is a phenomenal slicer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:08 am
I had a caly 3 in hap40 and a caly 3.5 in vg10. Both excellent slicers. Prefer the 3.5 blade shape. I prefer a caly 3.5 over a delica or endura.
Thanks looking at the handle it looks like the ergos are better. I also think 3.5 is a sweet spot
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Take a look a this thread for a little bit of info on the LW version. Sal has comments on page 1 and 2.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84243
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:36 am
Oh and is the CF version slick CF like Knifecenter puts out?

Thanks.
I haven't had a KC CF knife or the CF Caly 3.5, but the old Caly3 CF I had was matte-finish, with almost a chalky feel. It's more comparable to the carbon on my tripods than any of the glossy stuff I've seen on other knives, but not rough at all like the peel-ply finishes used in Golden or Taichung.

I'm not sure if Moki has done other CF sprints, the best-known Japanese CF models are all Sakai (marked "Seki-City") I think, and they're glossy.

I highly recommend the Caly 3 and 3.5 if you can get one. They'd still be great cutters with FRN handles, but I like the weight of the G-10 and CF versions. The wire clip is an especially good reason to pick these over the Caly Jr, I haven't heard what clip the LW will have.

It's a very elegant design that deserves the refined feel IMO. I have a 3.5 in VG10 and Super Blue, and despite not having many of the qualities I usually look for in a design they're frequently in my pocket.
sok

Post by sok »

You can still get the Caly 3.5 G-10/VG10 at BBS.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Caly's are pinned but you can take the blade out pretty easily for cleaning if you want to. I've never had the need. Yes, the CF Calys are smooth. I hated the idea too at first. Then I got one on sale and I like it much more than I thought I would. I slides in and out of the pocket easily and I've never felt like it was too slick. I think the ergos of the knife lock it in hand well enough that it's a non issue for me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Why does the pivot pin project so far beyond the surface of the handle? Kinda has a hub-cap look to it. My other Spydercos are flush/recessed, or barely projecting. Does this hang up in the pocket at times and does it affect grip? Also don't like the pinned assembly.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had a Caly 3 for about 10 years. My only complaint is that it doesn't take much sharpening to expose the tip out from the handle when closed. You can adjust the kick and kinda fix this but at some point the knife is unusable once the edge hits the inside of the handle from grinding the kick down too much. I guess then you can leave it open and use it in the garage or something as a utility knife. Beyond that I've always viewed the Calypso family as kind of Spyderco royalty, much of their ergonomics have been handed down to many generations of knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:16 pm
Why does the pivot pin project so far beyond the surface of the handle? Kinda has a hub-cap look to it. My other Spydercos are flush/recessed, or barely projecting. Does this hang up in the pocket at times and does it affect grip? Also don't like the pinned assembly.

CG
I've owned four Calys for many years: two 3.5" and two 3.0". I still regard them as one of the best designs from Spyderco.

The pivot pin - I think it's just a matter of style. Never had issue with them interfering with the pocket.

The pinned assembly - I don't mind it, but I agree and prefer screwed. Pinned construction certainly limits the fun of personalizing a knife.

I think the Calys are overdue for an iteration update. New steel like M390/20CV/204P, screwed construction, and a little more chamfering/contouring to soften the hard edged handle scales and liners. I wonder if a compression lock could be made to work?
sok

Post by sok »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:16 pm

CG
The Caly is a thin minimalistic knife. It doesn't have pivot washers, and won't sing open and sling shut, but it flicks open easy enough. The handle is skeletonized stainless with a couple of carbon fiber slabs with pins holding it all together. The rounded pivot screws in no way interfere with anything. At least for me.

**EDIT- I made an incorrect statement about the stainless body. Corrected.
Last edited by sok on Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I love my caly, 3 and 3.5. Ergonomics wins over "gripyness/jimping" every time. This is the knife I end up coming back to time and again because it just works. Give it a try and live with it for a while, you won't be disappointed.