S30v

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rabbitanarchy14

Re: S30v

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Genotoxic wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:06 pm
One thing that I think Spyderco should do on some models is just a few variations of handle scale colors as standard. I dont think it'd cost them much but maybe we would be more inclined to buy say an S30V Native Chief(just using this knife as an example) if it had a few basic but popular colour options like a red,blue or tan. Really all this would take is say out of the first 1000 make 100 red,100 blue,100 tan and the rest black instead of 1000 black. Not sure how viable of an option this is but it might help sales a little on the edition of a knife.
i agree. i do not always buy a sprint just for the steel it is also to get a different color. i do think they would sell more of the s30v if they gave most base models with just different color scales, then see how many of the sprint sell out that fast.

i do honestly think i would only have a sprint of a knife and a few different color s30v versions.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:54 am
Genotoxic wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:06 pm
One thing that I think Spyderco should do on some models is just a few variations of handle scale colors as standard. I dont think it'd cost them much but maybe we would be more inclined to buy say an S30V Native Chief(just using this knife as an example) if it had a few basic but popular colour options like a red,blue or tan. Really all this would take is say out of the first 1000 make 100 red,100 blue,100 tan and the rest black instead of 1000 black. Not sure how viable of an option this is but it might help sales a little on the edition of a knife.
i agree. i do not always buy a sprint just for the steel it is also to get a different color. i do think they would sell more of the s30v if they gave most base models with just different color scales, then see how many of the sprint sell out that fast.

i do honestly think i would only have a sprint of a knife and a few different color s30v versions.
Yep. I would have way more base model versions of knives (in s30v and other base steels) if they came with multiple color/scale material options. And certainly this strategy seems to be working well for the vg-10 delica family of knives, which come in all sorts of colors. That's not to say I wouldn't still buy the "exotic" steel sprints in models I love for fun, but I'd probably have a lot more variety of new and different models in my collection. Some examples: the Alcyone and the Bow River. I wasn't excited by the steel on those, but I liked the design AND the color/scale pattern, so I bought them to try out. So maybe it's a good thing for my wallet that the base models usually only come in black!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Lots of good stuff here, so I don't have to add, just say.
I like VG 10 better than S30V.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm a fan of s30v as a default Spyderco steel. It offers dependable good performance and remains a cut above a lot of the budget steels. I'm happy to buy any intriguing model (the ikuchi, for instance) even if it doesn't come with a hot new steel.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:33 am
I'm a fan of s30v as a default Spyderco steel. It offers dependable good performance and remains a cut above a lot of the budget steels. I'm happy to buy any intriguing model (the ikuchi, for instance) even if it doesn't come with a hot new steel.
Exactly why I bought, and am carrying the HH UKPK today. Different design to me, with a reliable steel. This thing is a win all the way around. Melts into my hand, even with gloves on and slices all this plastic banding like an absolute demon :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Yay another S30V thread!!!!

All I'll say is this...I have a whole bunch of knives with S30V and I have no problem with that.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

I find for the most part, those that have complained about s30v is simply voicing their opinion on a steel thats just not suited for their style and use, and the few that just spew nonsense about theories on it. My expirience showed me that s30v is a steel that can give you a long working slicing edge( for most people) if it is properly sharpened to maximize optimal performance. For example, I had dropped the edge angle of my yojimbo2 to 12.5 dps then carried and used it exclusively for a month. While the front edge sharpness didn't last too long ( this is after all a steel that excels in working sharpness anyway) the working slicing sharpness was going strong. As it started to wear it become a constant slicer as it slipped away from push/press cut capability. Are there other well rouned steels that can take its place? Yes. But at the end of the day, its still a good base steel, and this is coming from a guy who has a few options in his knife collection( s35vn, cpm 4v, cpm m4, hap40, rex45, cpm 154, 154cm, cts xhp, d2, s90v, rwl 34, vtoku2, damascus, 14c28n, n690co, damasteel, elmax, and d3 a while back).
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

If you are left handed and think the Paramilitary2 is the perfect pocket knife, then you learn to love S30v. Thank you, Sal, for my left handed PM2!
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Geometry of the blade beats steel selection. I just got another knife with S30V and am learning to experience it again. Not my favorite but I won't kick it to the curb.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

My most carried knife is a Military. For my mundane daily cutting chores the major difference between a S30V and S110V blade, sharpened the same way is scale colour. :)

The S110V Indigo scales are much prettier than the S30V Digi Cam. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I prefer VG-10 over S30V as a base steel. Honestly that's why I haven't bought an Ikuchi yet. I really want one, but I don't enjoy S30V. It's not a bad steel, but I get better performance out of VG-10, easier.

LC200N has been the nail in the coffin, though. Ever since I purchased my Caribbean, I have been selling off knives faster than I buy them...

I really wish the Ikuchi had LC200N, it would replace my Mantra 1(maybe). I also feel the same about the Kapara, the both are begging for LC200N.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah we're pretty spoilt to have S30V as a baseline steel.

I've had an ambivalent kind of relationship to the steel. It's taught me to be a better sharpener, certainly.

I generally don't buy S30V knives unless they're in a model I want with no other options, like the lefty Millie, and the Kapara.

I can certainly get it to the level of sharpness I like, thinning it out with diamonds (Atoma/Venev progression) and finishing on CBN and diamond emulsion charged strops.

I find that at the end of the day, there are just steels that seem to be more of a pleasure to use and sharpen than others, and I prefer VG10, Cruwear, K390 etc. for that reason. I like that high end sharpness more than long 'working sharpness', and I don't mind doing a bit of daily touch up sharpening and refinement, in fact I thoroughly enjoy it.

I personally would have no issue with Cruwear replacing S30V as a 'balanced' baseline steel, although I recognise that stainlessness needs to be a quality in knife steels for the general public.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:43 pm

I really wish the Ikuchi had LC200N, it would replace my Mantra 1(maybe). I also feel the same about the Kapara, the both are begging for LC200N.
I brought that up in the kapara thread, but no one else there seemed to agree. I like s30v, but it sure seems like a knife intended for edc and food prep would be a great fit for lc200n. And now I'll stop harping on that, promise. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:43 pm

I brought that up in the kapara thread, but no one else there seemed to agree. I like s30v, but it sure seems like a knife intended for edc and food prep would be a great fit for lc200n. And now I'll stop harping on that, promise. ;)
Ha, keep bangin' that drum as far as I'm concerned! An LC200N Kapara would be amazing! A 'gentlemens/gentlewomans' Salt knife!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have ditched my bad attitude about S30V. It was based on knives from other makers. The Spyderco knives I have that are made with S30V (and there aren't too many since I have become a steel junky) are really very good and I have nothing at all bad to say.

Spyderco does a darn good job with S30V.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

So as a newcomer to S30v, what are the best sharpening methods? Angle, grit fineness, stropping etc. How do the experts maintain theirs.
---------
Tony S
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

aesmith wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:26 am
So as a newcomer to S30v, what are the best sharpening methods? Angle, grit fineness, stropping etc. How do the experts maintain theirs.
It will depend on what sharpening tools you have. You cant go wrong with coarse diamond/ cbn abrasive and brown ceramic ( if you have a spyderco sharpmaker). You can optimize the sharpness a little more with other combos such as coarse cbn fine cbn/ coarse diamond fine diamond( if your talking about sharpening tools other than sharpmaker).
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I am a big fan of most of Crucible's great blade steels. But S30V isn't one of them. I had chipping problems with it in really cold weather one winter when I was still working outdoors. I've actually had better overall luck with VG-10 for an everyday, hard use blade steel.

I dearly love S90V and S110V but I've actually avoided certain models that are only available in S30V. The older Chokwe for instance is one design I dearly loved but never bought one because it was only available in S30V.

As far as one Brother saying he likes it in Spyderedge :confused: >> I've had much better luck with it's predecessor 440V ( S60V) in serrated edges. I find 440V to perform in SE twice as good. At this writing I still hold my M390 Military as my all time favorite EDC. When I find a blade steel that I like better than M390 I'll switch to it.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:12 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:23 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:48 am
S30V is simply a B— to a B+ in all categories, which makes for a good all around steel but doesn't "wow" people who are really into knives.

We buy knives for a purpose in mind, and we're usually looking for a blade steel that excels highly in 1-2 categories.

Best edge retention? Not s30v.
Best corrosion resistance? Not s30v.
Best sharpening response? Not s30v.
Best apex stability? Not s30v.
Best toughness? Not s30v.

We just have to keep in mind that knife afi's and steel junkies aren't what fuels the majority of Spyderco's profits. S30V is an excellent steel for the average person who wants a good quality knife.

Most of us don't dislike s30v even if we avoid most s30v models. And people opting out of base models and waiting on sprints is partially fueled by the pricing of certain models as well as designs begging for blade steels of particular attributes. Take the Native Chief for example. It is not an all around knife. It's more of a specialized lightweight lengthy slicer. So some of us don't see an "all around" blade steel as optimal for maximizing the usefulness of the model. S110V, k390, or Maxamet would probably be more appropriate. Then you have models like the Subvert, where the sheer price is what fuels complaints on s30v. But most of the time s30v is a fine choice. It's not a "sharpener's steel" like cruwear or 52100, and enjoyment in sharpening is a bigger issue for people here versus the average customer. The only s30v that I've found has an incredible sharpening response is on my buck vantage pro. You can tell the grain structure is fine. But with that said, I'm enjoying the s30v on my Shaman. I think there Shaman is a good EDC knife for me and an "all around" steel suits it fairly well.
+1 on most of this but I wonder about the S30V fueling most of their profit just guessing but I would hazard a guess he VG-10 models like the delica and Endura are what they sell the most of.

I laugh at myself these days as I gain a deeper appreciation for these cheaper knives that actually slice better than the more expensive ones. The Cruwear Delica really broke my brain.
What's wrong with the cruwear delica?

The golden s30v models are what base BMW cars are to car geeks of a decade or two ago - certainly nicer than your average car, but lives in the shadow of the M cars

What's the best way to bring out the performance of s30v?
Did not say anything was wrong with the Cruwear Delica, read it again. It was the Cruwear Delica that gave me a greater appreciation for the cheaper knives.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:10 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:01 pm
On a more meta level, I just find it humorous as fans of other brands don't do this. Certain brands still primarily use 154cm and their fans don't mind. Other brands use mainly s35vn and nobody says a thing. M390/20cv and no complaints. CPM154, 1095, A2, D2, 01. These are all primary steels for companies that have happy consumers that don't complain or question it. Cold Steel switches from XHP to S35vn and their fans accept it without croaking. Not making fun of anyone or calling anyone out, I just find it funny how this small subsection of the knife community is so persnickety about steels and mainly on a theoretical level.

My opinion, s30v is fine. Never had an issue. Would prefer CPM 154 as the standard but that's whatever. I've got bigger issues with handle materials, soft detents, lack of chamfers, etc etc.
WRONG. I'm just one guy so YMMV. There were many people that did not like the switch to S35VN from XHP at Cold Steel. There were many complaints. I did not complain, I bought 5 Cold Steel knives in XHP instead. I do have knives that I will buy in CPM-154/154CM, but it's rare. I'm not in the market for any knives that are not in the upper echelons of steel, but I may buy one. I have at least 100 more knives that are on my too buy list, but few are not of premium steels.

My collection summarized by steel/brand:
3V, 6 (Bark River Knives(2), Cold Steel(1), RMJ(2), Winkler Knives(1))
9Cr18, 4 (CRKT(4))
80CrV2, 4(Winkler Knives(4))
154CM, 4 (Emerson(3), Boker(1))
1055 Carbon Steel, 7 (Cold Steel(2 + 5))
1095 High Carbon Steel, 4 (ESEE(1), KA-BAR(1), Tops Knives(2))
420HC Stainless, 3 (Buck(2), Gerber(1))
440C, 2 (Boker(2))
52100 High Carbon Steel, 1 (Cold Steel(1))
A2, 1 (Bark River Knives(1))
AUS-8, 2 (5.11(1), SOG(1))
BDZ-1, 1 (Gerber(1))
CPM-20CV, 4 (Hinderer(1), Spyderco(3))
CPM-154, 1 (Spyderco(1))
CTS-XHP, 6 (Cold Steel(4), LES GEORGE(2))
D2, 1 (KA-BAR(1))
Elmax, 1 (Bark River Knives(1))
H1, 1 (Spyderco(1))
M390, 4 (Bradford Knives(2), Hinderer(1), SCHUTTE(1))
M4, 1 (Benchmade(1))
Maxamet, 1 (Spyderco(1))
N690CO, 1 (Bastinelli(1))
O1, 6 (Randall(5), CRKT(1))
S30V, 1 (Spyderco(1))
S35VN, 10 (Chris Reeve(1), Hinderer(1), KA-BAR(2), Medford(1), Spartan Blades(2), ZT Knives(3))
S90V, 2 (Zero Tolerance(2))
S110V, 1 (Spyderco(1))
VG10, 2 (Boker(2))
ZDP189, 1 (ZT Knives(1))

My instructions for purchases:
BUY knives HEAT TREATED 61HRC - 63HRC+ and made from the steels of: 1V** (will be below 60HRC), CPM 3V, CPM 4V, CPM 10V, CPM M4**(COATED), CPM Rex 45, CPM S90V, CPM S110V, CPM S125V(Ultimate CATRA), CTS-XHP, D2(Bob Dozier**. Is this CPM-D2?), K390, M390/20CV/204P**, Maxamet, S7**(57HRC for 125ft/lbs toughness), PM A11, Rex 121(Ultimate CATRA), Vanadis 4E, Vanax Superclean, Z-WEAR, ZDP189

ANKERSON SAYS THAT CURRENTLY IN MID 2019
Mid range steels [include], S35VN, S30V, CPM 154, ELMAX and M390/20CV/204P, etc.

Top end steels [include]: 10V, S90V, S110V, K390, etc.
+1 I purchased 4 Cold Steels total in CTS-XHP I liked the models and had been hovering on buying them when I saw the Switch to S35VN happening I was like aw crap it’s now or never before the only thing available I S35VN.

Like you I voted with my wallet which trumps speculation every time.