Efficiency of edge types

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Outremere

Efficiency of edge types

Post by Outremere »

I have used these blades for years and have taken them around the world. I need opinions on which edge type is most efficient, saw, plain, or half and half. I’ve used the saw edge in jobs where I might need a quick powerful emergency slice but prefer plain for general purpose. As to half and half, I just don’t see the logic of it; am I wrong, I’m here to learn.
JuPaul

Re: Efficiency of edge types

Post by JuPaul »

I'm certainly no expert, but I think the answer you're most likely to get here is: efficient for what task?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Just carry one of each and call it a day. I do this, and I do not like combination edges.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Depends on what you're doing. I'd rather cut rope with a serrated knife but I'll pick a plain edge to mince garlic.
:unicorn
carrot

Post by carrot »

If your aim is a neat and clean separation a well sharpened plain edge is the way to go. If you simply need something separated quickly and efficiently, serrated is a great choice. I’ve been EDCing the SE Para 3LW since it came out and I’ve very rarely wished I had a PE in my pocket.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Yea, the answer as always is it depends, but I won't take that easy of a way out here.

The two main questions to me are what are you cutting, and how good are you at sharpening?

If the answers are, a variety of things, or really, if you're not a professional role cutter, and even if you are I'm not convinced it matters, and if you are reasonably proficient at sharpening, then plain edge is the clear winner. I'd caveat the last point by saying if you are exceptional at sharpening serrations then it levels the playing field somewhat.

Basically I believe a well sharpened plain edge cuts pretty much everything better than a serrated edge, but if your not that great, serrations will stay sharp longer, and cut much longer if you don't mind applying a lot of force.

Plain edges also can be tailored to cut fibrous materials better by manipulating the edge finish.

My recommendation is plain edge, and if your not a skilled sharpener, become one.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sharp SE generally require less force than sharp PE if we're talking factory angles. They come ground much thinner.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to the forum!

I tend to carry one of each. Plain edge and serrations both excel at different tasks, and I have various tasks come up in a normal day.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've come to the determination that if I could only have one blade to survive on I would take a serrated edge. Because a high quality serrated edge can do more rough work than a plain edge can.

Now that isn't saying that a plain edge doesn't have certain advantages because it does. But if I was stuck in a survival situation I just know in my gut that a serrated blade could do more vital jobs in a pinch than any other type of edge.

This to me is one of the main reasons I want to see the return of the C-44 Dyad. Because a folder with one full plain edged blade and one full Spyderedged blade just makes a lot of sense.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

A decently sharp serrated edge will out-slice any hair whittling plain edge knife. It's just physics at play. There's a reason why sharks, most reptiles and the extinct theropods had serrated teeth. They just cut better.

That being said, for general edc tasks I switched to SE for a few months now and I never looked back. I love my SE Pacific Salt. But, serrated is out of the question in my kitchen, bushcrafting or taking apart game. The cut is cleaner with PE and push cutting against a surface isn't very effective with SE edge.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

JD, how are you going to sharpen that serrated knife in the wilderness without any sharpener? Serious question, bro. Much as I like serrations, I'll take a PE for that. I can sharpen them on a lot of things, and have done so.
- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:01 am
JD, how are you going to sharpen that serrated knife in the wilderness without any sharpener? Serious question, bro. Much as I like serrations, I'll take a PE for that. I can sharpen them on a lot of things, and have done so.
Carry a piece of sandpaper or an individual sharpmaker rod. You can baton a small stick in half and wrap the sandpaper around the corner of one of the D shaped sticks you split. If you can field sharpen a PE knife on a river stone you can pull this off.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have nit been too logical, it seems. On my folding knives, EDC, etc. I have tended to want plain edge blades. On my kitchen knives I will get serrated blades many times. So, based on my kitchen experience I should opt for more serrated edge edc knives as they do cut well if sharp.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

emanuel wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:38 am
A decently sharp serrated edge will out-slice any hair whittling plain edge knife. It's just physics at play. There's a reason why sharks, most reptiles and the extinct theropods had serrated teeth. They just cut better.

That being said, for general edc tasks I switched to SE for a few months now and I never looked back. I love my SE Pacific Salt. But, serrated is out of the question in my kitchen, bushcrafting or taking apart game. The cut is cleaner with PE and push cutting against a surface isn't very effective with SE edge.
Good points.

I agree, and I just happen to have an old pic I pulled up for another thread, that illustrates this with a tiger shark's tooth:

(The rock’s a piece of flint core encased in marine concretion which was thrown up onto a beach in southern Australia.)

Looking at the tooth, it makes me idly curious about what a serrated edge might be like with serrations of different size - getting progressively larger or smaller, as they follow the curve of the edge.
Last edited by Cambertree on Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:01 am
That's an interesting question Jazz :) >> that's why I have a wide array of sharpening gear I've got stored up. However a Spyderedge or most other serrated edge patterns will be adequate performers long after most plain edges get relatively dull. At this point in time I have a ton of different types of sandpaper I could use in a pinch. But I do need to focus on something more portable I could travel with.

But I do like your question and that's something I'm going to have to look into as far as finding something to sharpen SE blades if stuck in a disaster situation. But as of now I have a huge box of small, portable sharpening tools I've got for my survival/bug out bag. Actually I'm hopeful I'll never be in that situation>> but your question is one that I'm going to have to look into.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:43 am
That's an interesting question Jazz :) >> that's why I have a wide array of sharpening gear I've got stored up. However a Spyderedge or most other serrated edge patterns will be adequate performers long after most plain edges get relatively dull. At this point in time I have a ton of different types of sandpaper I could use in a pinch. But I do need to focus on something more portable I could travel with.

But I do like your question and that's something I'm going to have to look into as far as finding something to sharpen SE blades if stuck in a disaster situation. But as of now I have a huge box of small, portable sharpening tools I've got for my survival/bug out bag. Actually I'm hopeful I'll never be in that situation>> but your question is one that I'm going to have to look into.
I don’t recall if you have one JD, but I find the edges of the Doublestuff 2 to be an excellent portable handheld SE sharpener.

They’re easy enough to carry in a pocket, or stash in a go-bag or car glovebox.

Also, if anyone reading this accidentally breaks one of their Sharpmaker rods, the upside is the smaller pieces make handy little pocket stones for SE touchup.

I have a couple of bits of a broken UF rod that I use a fair bit for handheld SE honing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Baron Mind wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:11 pm
Yea, the answer as always is it depends, but I won't take that easy of a way out here.

The two main questions to me are what are you cutting, and how good are you at sharpening?

If the answers are, a variety of things, or really, if you're not a professional role cutter, and even if you are I'm not convinced it matters, and if you are reasonably proficient at sharpening, then plain edge is the clear winner. I'd caveat the last point by saying if you are exceptional at sharpening serrations then it levels the playing field somewhat.

Basically I believe a well sharpened plain edge cuts pretty much everything better than a serrated edge, but if your not that great, serrations will stay sharp longer, and cut much longer if you don't mind applying a lot of force.

Plain edges also can be tailored to cut fibrous materials better by manipulating the edge finish.

My recommendation is plain edge, and if your not a skilled sharpener, become one.

It sounds like you really need to experience a truly sharp SE knife.

Also you can change the edge finish on serrations the same as you can plain edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Outremere wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:13 am
I have used these blades for years and have taken them around the world. I need opinions on which edge type is most efficient, saw, plain, or half and half. I’ve used the saw edge in jobs where I might need a quick powerful emergency slice but prefer plain for general purpose. As to half and half, I just don’t see the logic of it; am I wrong, I’m here to learn.
I prefer a combo edge but sadly it is lacking in models I like.

It covers the best of both worlds.

I have noticed serrations work better with man made materials plastics rope and if you do not mind dirty cuts and leaving cardboard junk on the floor.

I have noticed serrations work very well taking apart a cooked Chicken and other cooked meat with bones you can go sideways with the blade and strip the meat off the bone nicely.

I have Noticed Plain Edge is all around useful and provides much cleaner cuts and tend to carry PE more than SE.

Would like a combo edge Wharncliffe Delica and Endura
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, I like combo edges, too. I find them very useful on blades of at least 3”.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Honestly it sounds like this thread is "let's compare a dull serrated knife to a sharp plain edge knife." Sharp serrated knives don't make messy jagged cuts that leave debris on the floor. They can push cut through cardboard and leave 100% smooth edges where they cut.

https://streamable.com/fbtt0 - like so