What I want (and a pony)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FredNurke

What I want (and a pony)

Post by FredNurke »

I want a subscription service. Whenever a new Native variation comes out, you can charge my card and send it to me and save some paperwork.

More seriously, I want a Lil' Native that I don't have to sharpen. S110V, Maxamet, or summat. I don't think the lil' one gets the love it deserves. It's a much better knife (IMHO) than the Dragonfly. Why doesn't it get all the special editions?

Yeah, and don't forget I want a pony too.
Sharp Guy

Re: What I want (and a pony)

Post by Sharp Guy »

Unless they come up with a completely wear-proof steel you're going to have to sharpen it eventually regardless. I have S110V and Maxamet and I find I sharpen those almost as much as I sharpen all the other steels I have. If I wait too long to sharpen then it just takes me longer to get it back to where I want it.

Lil' Native is a fairly new model and, while it's a cool little knife, it's not as popular as the Para 3 and other models. Be patient, there'll be plenty of other versions that'll come along. The St. Nick's Knives 4V exclusive has shown that the demand if there. So I'm pretty confident other dealers will follow suit if they're not already in process.

Can't help you with the pony. Ask Mom & Dad or maybe even Santa if you been good this year. ;)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

No such thing as a knife that never needs to be sharpenened.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Spyderco has a Collector's Club. If you sign up for it every new Native will automatically show up at your doorstep. I looked into joining several years ago. I wanted to get every Manix, PM2, and Military. But they do not let you join for just one knife, you have to buy every knife they make, no matter what size. I guess they figure guys like me with 2XL hands want every small rinky dink knife that comes off the production line.

IMO Spyderco is leaving money on the table by not letting you sign up for just the models that you collect (or fit your hands).
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:29 am
If you don't use it you don't have to sharpen it :D :D
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Spoiler: Santa Clause isn't real! ;)

But seriously, the Collector's Club is the subscription service, it's just, super expensive, since you have to commit to taking all the knives that come up in a year (though I believe there are different levels of commitment).

As far as the Lil' Native goes, just give it time. The design is new enough that Spyderco is probably still working on making sure that production processes are all running at 100% and supply of all the variants is meeting demand... Once it's a proven performer and demand for each model has been nailed down, then the Sprints will start flowing!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

FredNurke wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:14 am
I want a subscription service. Whenever a new Native variation comes out, you can charge my card and send it to me and save some paperwork.

More seriously, I want a Lil' Native that I don't have to sharpen. S110V, Maxamet, or summat. I don't think the lil' one gets the love it deserves. It's a much better knife (IMHO) than the Dragonfly. Why doesn't it get all the special editions?

Yeah, and don't forget I want a pony too.
Welcome to the forum FredNurke!

Given that both CPM S110V and CTS Maxamet are used in production Golden knives, I wouldn't be surprised to see either (or both) eventually used in the Lil Native.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:04 am

:eek: WHAT!!??
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Fred,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Fred, I am happy to set up a subscription service for you. PM your details :)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:03 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
But is it still a knife if you don't use it-- or is it then a knife-shaped-object? ;)

Maybe Darby is right from a metaphysical perspective--that all knives need sharpening?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:39 am
VashHash wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
But is it still a knife if you don't use it-- or is it then a knife-shaped-object? ;)

Maybe Darby is right from a metaphysical perspective--that all knives need sharpening?
Have to ask Doug Marcaida and MS J. Neilson.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Hopweaver wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:34 am
IMO Spyderco is leaving money on the table by not letting you sign up for just the models that you collect (or fit your hands).
I'm pretty sure they are money ahead by not trying to go that far with the club.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Enactive wrote:
VashHash wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Sure, some knives are art knives and some knives are collectible. I even have a couple knives that are retired for sentimental reasons.

I don’t think that the OP was wanting an S110V Lil’ Native just to let it sit in a box. :)

I don’t believe in anthropomorphizing objects. A knife doesn’t need a purpose or need to do something to define itself. It is an indifferent hunk of matter that we label as a tool. If you lose it in the woods it does not care how many eons go by without it separating any matter and it won’t feel like less of a knife because it hasn’t been sharpened. :eek: :cool:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:33 pm
Enactive wrote:
VashHash wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Sure, some knives are art knives and some knives are collectible. I even have a couple knives that are retired for sentimental reasons.

I don’t think that the OP was wanting an S110V Lil’ Native just to let it sit in a box. :)

I don’t believe in anthropomorphizing objects. A knife doesn’t need a purpose or need to do something to define itself. It is an indifferent hunk of matter that we label as a tool. If you lose it in the woods it does not care how many eons go by without it separating any matter and it won’t feel like less of a knife because it hasn’t been sharpened. :eek: :cool:
Nah, i don't anthropomorphize stuff either. Was just foolin and riffing on Vash's comment and yours. We could get back on topic, but i'm not sure how to address the pony. :D :cool:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

FredNurke wrote:
I want a pony.
Last edited by Bloke on Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:30 pm
FredNurke wrote:
I want a pony.

Getting "bloked" after just ONE post, that I can tell you is a very special honor, FredNurke!!! :D
Welcome to the forum!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:04 am

But seriously, the Collector's Club is the subscription service, it's just, super expensive, since you have to commit to taking all the knives that come up in a year (though I believe there are different levels of commitment).
That's why there are always CC knives on eBay just before new releases. I don't actually know, but I can't imagine it's super difficult to sell the ones that you don't want to hang on to.
FredNurke

Post by FredNurke »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:09 am
I have S110V and Maxamet and I find I sharpen those almost as much as I sharpen all the other steels I have. If I wait too long to sharpen then it just takes me longer to get it back to where I want it.
I got a Para 3 in Maxamet and decided to just abuse it and see what happens. I can tell you it will not debur electrical conduit (EMT). But it's been awful good at everything else. I'm sure "never sharpen" is an exaggeration, but it's still pretty cool.

I appreciate the warm welcome! We can talk about ponies later.
I don't collect things, I just accumulate them.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Whoops! :o
Last edited by Bloke on Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin