Kaparas are coming!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Kaparas are coming!!!!

Post by Sharp Guy »

Heads up!

I just saw a post on IG that Rivers Edge Cutlery is taking pre-orders for a shipment of Kaparas that they're expecting to arrive this Friday. I imagine all the other dealers will be receiving them soon as well.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
FullFlatMind

Re: Kaparas are coming!!!!

Post by FullFlatMind »

Sal mentioned recently that dealers should start getting these again. This is part of why I didn't jump on some recent exclusives. Can't wait!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

So will this batch be CQI'd with the new and improved comp lock or no? I thought I heard the next batch of Ikuchis would be CQI'd
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:23 pm
So will this batch be CQI'd with the new and improved comp lock or no? I thought I heard the next batch of Ikuchis would be CQI'd
I think I remember hearing about this but no CQI needed IMO. I'm perfectly happy with it as it is.

The only thing I don't like about CQI is if you have an original version of a model that's had CQI done on later runs. Your original knife is now worth less than the new ones. Not a big deal to me for models I like and plan on keeping (Kapara, Sliverax, Chaparral LW, etc) but for not so good for ones you don't want to keep.
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

I hope the Spydiechef makes a return sometime soon and wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Sage 5 LW.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Told myself getting one $160+ knife in S30V was enough (Smock)...but this Kapara always tugs at me every time I see one posted. Not sure what to do here!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I missed it first time around, so I'll definitely be snagging one from this batch! Hopefully they upped the production numbers because of how successful it was.
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:47 pm
Told myself getting one $160+ knife in S30V was enough (Smock)...but this Kapara always tugs at me every time I see one posted. Not sure what to do here!
All I can say is it's a really nice design regardless of blade steel. It's popular enough that, if you don't like, it I'm sure you can get your money back when they go out of stock again.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

In stock at Knifejoy ;)

:D

Smock as well!!! :eek:
Monty

Post by Monty »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Seems like this is a the most common criticism of this knife, yet I rarely hear similar complaints about the Shaman at $190ish.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Monty wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:31 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Seems like this is a the most common criticism of this knife, yet I rarely hear similar complaints about the Shaman at $190ish.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with S30V! Some of my personal favorites are in that steel. I just want to try some new stuff or something different when I'm spending over $160 on a knife, that's all.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Oh man I wish it wasn't time to be scaling back on purchases lol. The holidays are gonna be here sooner than we think!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Monty wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
The Sliverax seems pretty comparable to me - a designer collaboration, s30v, carbon fiber, similar blade and overall size - yet it's priced at $165, $23.50 lower than the Kapara. Any idea why? The Kapara looks like it'd be an awesome food prep knife, but I have to admit, I also balked a little at the $188.50 price tag. If it's meant as a food prep knife, why no LC200N like the spydiechef? Not that I need the enabling, but somebody sell me on this one...
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:31 pm
Monty wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
The Sliverax seems pretty comparable to me - a designer collaboration, s30v, carbon fiber, similar blade and overall size - yet it's priced at $165, $23.50 lower than the Kapara. Any idea why? The Kapara looks like it'd be an awesome food prep knife, but I have to admit, I also balked a little at the $188.50 price tag. If it's meant as a food prep knife, why no LC200N like the spydiechef? Not that I need the enabling, but somebody sell me on this one...
The Sliverax uses peel ply laminated carbon fiber/G10 scales. The scales of the Kapara are solid carbon fiber and contoured and it also has a G10 backspacer. The contouring adds to the production time, and in turn, the cost goes up.

:spyder:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:41 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:31 pm
Monty wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
The Sliverax uses peel ply laminated carbon fiber/G10 scales. The scales of the Kapara are solid carbon fiber and contoured and it also has a G10 backspacer. The contouring adds to the production time, and in turn, the cost goes up.

:spyder:
Ah. Definitely explains the price difference.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

So are you all, in fact using them for food prep, or for general edc, or both?

Edit: I'm asking because I'd love to have a great food prep folder for foraging days (the blade length on my native salt just isn't always long enough), but I don't love the titanium scales on the spydiechef. If this was in LC200N, I think it'd be a no-brainer for me.
- Julia

koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Has SFO had them yet? I have a code to use and was hoping to get this there
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

What are the CQI updates that are being asked about?

Can anyone confirm if the comp lock tab is rounded like on the sliverax or more squared off like on the PM2/para3? The only thing I really don’t like about the sliverax is that rounded tab but if the tab is more squared off like on the golden comp locks that could be enough to sway me.
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

Comp lock was supposed to undergo CQI to drop shut like golden models. I do not believe SFO has updated stock yet, probably went to dealers first.
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve had the Kapara, and it is definitely worth the price of admission!
Josh