How about a titanium compression frame lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dj moonbat

Re: How about a titanium compression frame lock?

Post by dj moonbat »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:54 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:16 pm
Unlike the switch from liner to frame lock, where you (in theory) get a lock that works harder when you grip harder, the switch to a frame comp lock doesn't get you anything except more difficult machining. In fact, you may just be making the lock worse, because you can't pinch the lock with your index finger to disengage, since there's no liner on the other side for your thumb to push on.

Hard pass.
Doesn't get me anything? Speak for yourself. It gets me a liner-less knife. Every steel linered Spyderco I've owned has rusted on the liners. Can't pinch to disengage? Just put your thumb on the scale below the lock bar cutout. It works.
Well, that's really not a LINER problem. That's a steel problem. Put titanium liners into a comp lock knife and that problem goes away, and it uses a lot less titanium and simpler machining that making a frame lock. Plus it leaves you with a liner for your thumb.

It's not like a comp frame lock won't work; they've already proven that it does. But unlike going from a liner to a frame lock, it doesn't actually make the lock work better.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

maybe the best way to go about it would be construction similar to the Para 3 LW - solid Ti scales, steel lockbar?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I wonder if there’s some sort of manufacturing reason we don’t see this happen? If it ever comes to fruition, sign me up!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Probably more of a sales thing. I'm sure they've shown the ti frame lock para at multiple knife shows. Maybe they didn't get the reaction they hoped for or maybe it's in the queue somewhere. I'd buy one.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 am
That worked well with the first Salsa

Would be keen in other models such as the Para 3, but I'm not sure if titanium Spydercos have been stellar sellers.

(I'd love a reissue of the Ti ATR, but the ho-hum response to the ATR 2 bodes poorly for that..)
So the Salsa had an "integral" compression lock? That's interesting.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:17 pm
nicked.onaut wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 am
That worked well with the first Salsa

(I'd love a reissue of the Ti ATR, but the ho-hum response to the ATR 2 bodes poorly for that..)
So the Salsa had an "integral" compression lock? That's interesting.
Only the titanium first version. Subsequent Salsas use a liner for the compression lock.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Man I was thinking this would be great for a Mantra 4, copy the Mantra 2 blade, leave the Ti scales and make it a compression lock
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:02 pm
Man I was thinking this would be great for a Mantra 4, copy the Mantra 2 blade, leave the Ti scales and make it a compression lock
I would certainly have to revise that hard pass if they did this.