is it possible to dye or remove dye from FRN scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TH448

is it possible to dye or remove dye from FRN scales

Post by TH448 »

i am considering buying a Dragonfly 2 with the muticolor scales and wanted to know if it was possible to dye them a solid color.Image
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: is it possible to dye or remove dye from FRN scales

Post by Doc Dan »

It is easily possible wit RIT.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

On my opinion unless you dye it black you'll always see the pattern. The general rule is that you can dye darker but never lighter.
Why don't you get a knife already in a "solid" color?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The rit dye remover helps to remove rit dye. Not sure what is used in the zome process.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

TH448 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:43 pm
i am considering buying a Dragonfly 2 with the muticolor scales and wanted to know if it was possible to dye them a solid color.Image
I say based on how the pattern is hand dyed all it would take is RIT dye remover and you should have your solid lighter color which in this case with the picture you provided is swamp green.

More about ZOME:
Zome (pronounced "zoh-may") is a classical Japanese method of dyeing textiles that is closely related to many aspects of that country’s culture and history. Inspired by this rich artistic heritage, Spyderco's Zome family of knives includes unique hand-dyed variations of popular lightweight models with injection-molded fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) handles. The handles of these knives are first molded in a light base color, and then individually hand dyed by expert Japanese artisans using a technique reminiscent of traditional hiki-zome (brush dyeing). In this painstaking method, various colors of dye are hand brushed onto the handle to create distinctive, one-of-a-kind patterns that permeate the FRN material.
TH448

Post by TH448 »

thanks for the tips everyone
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

TH448 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:21 am
thanks for the tips everyone
Please post your results we can see if there is anything that works.

Thank you
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I'm curious, too...keep us updated!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

One other thing.

I've only dyed FRN scales once, so I'm no expert, but I understand you can get normal RIT dye and RIT dye specially formulated for synthetic fabrics.

Obviously the standard stuff works fine, as demonstrated by the many examples shown before on the forum, but it may be the synthetic fabric RIT dye is better for FRN or G10.

I didn't find a RIT synthetic fabric dye in the colour I wanted, so I used another brand, and it was very quick and effective.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I found a few pages about using hydrogen peroxide, as I use it to bleach bone.
Zytel / FRN does not like long contact with HP, so experiment with an old piece?

Use at your own risk?
http://www.retr0bright.com/
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:55 am
One other thing.

I've only dyed FRN scales once, so I'm no expert, but I understand you can get normal RIT dye and RIT dye specially formulated for synthetic fabrics.

Obviously the standard stuff works fine, as demonstrated by the many examples shown before on the forum, but it may be the synthetic fabric RIT dye is better for FRN or G10.

I didn't find a RIT synthetic fabric dye in the colour I wanted, so I used another brand, and it was very quick and effective.
Regular RIT works for FRN. The instructions say to add salt for natural fabrics and vinegar for nylon and other synthetics. 55 minutes in heated RIT Blue Denim bath dyed my yellow Salt 2 an almost black. 30-60 minutes should get a shade of blue/green to midnight blue. I think the instructions say the color will look darker while wet. Mine was at least as dark when dry if not more so.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

NWPilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:25 pm
Regular RIT works for FRN. The instructions say to add salt for natural fabrics and vinegar for nylon and other synthetics. 55 minutes in heated RIT Blue Denim bath dyed my yellow Salt 2 an almost black. 30-60 minutes should get a shade of blue/green to midnight blue. I think the instructions say the color will look darker while wet. Mine was at least as dark when dry if not more so.
Thanks for the extra info, NWPilgrim.

Yeah, the synthetic fabric dye I used was just called a 'blue' colour. I got this result on the Coyote brown Urban scales with a 10-15 minute soak in simmering dye solution:

NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

That turned out really well, Cambertree! Nice depth of color. I’m going to try another one with a gradient.