What's next for the Sage?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
silvershade255

What's next for the Sage?

Post by silvershade255 »

So the sage 5 lw is in the works. What do you suppose would be next for the project? Stop lock? Q ball? Some kind of button? Slipjoint??
"Seven for One"
Mushroom

Re: What's next for the Sage?

Post by Mushroom »

If I had to guess, I would say the Stop Lock will be next in the Sage series! Nothing but speculation though.
-Nick :bug-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

There is also the LW version. I don't see why you couldn't have LW Sage with the CBBL. Could you do the Stop Lock on a LW Sage? I'm interested to see some disassembly videos of the Stop Lock. As for a lock back version, isn't the UKPK pretty much a lock back Sage? I know there are some slight differences, but they seem pretty similar to me.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Any new LightWeight model will require new FRN molds to accommodate for whichever lock is used. For whatever comes after this LW model, I would rather see something like a new variation of textured G10 or CF. Personally, I wouldn't want to see FRN on two models in a row.

Also, the Sage 4 is the lockback version.
-Nick :bug-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:10 pm
Also, the Sage 4 is the lockback version.
Oops, I meant slipjoint. So when Spyderco comes out with a G10 model, they just mill out the scales from raw material, right? So the cost of production is on a per-unit basis. Whereas FRN models require a large upfront expense (molds) and then make it up in the long-run. Do I have that correct? If yes, then I can see how it would be hard to justify another LW model.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Hoping for a Sage LW Salt
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

A blade steel opportunity other than S30V.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i have asked before and been told that sal cant do a 3" cbbl. why he cant grind of 3/8 on the blade and 3/4 on the handle it would be a 3" blade i still do not know. but i would love a cbbl in a 3" blade, sage para 3.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
juggler

Post by juggler »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:28 pm
I would say the Stop Lock will be next in the Sage series
That would be my guess too.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I think the stop lock would be a good way to go on the next Sage. I’m still looking for a 3 with the patterned cf, (like my Domino) at a reasonable price, I know, good luck,lol! But there’s a sentimental reason for it so I’ll keep looking.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

spyderg wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:17 am
I think the stop lock would be a good way to go on the next Sage. I’m still looking for a 3 with the patterned cf, (like my Domino) at a reasonable price, I know, good luck,lol! But there’s a sentimental reason for it so I’ll keep looking.
I had to look for twice as long for the blue Sage 3 than the Cosby sweater one, but maybe i was just lucky/unlucky (depending on how you see it :) )
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

spyderg wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:17 am
Sending you a PM
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:03 pm
I had to look for twice as long for the blue Sage 3 than the Cosby sweater one, but maybe i was just lucky/unlucky (depending on how you see it :) )
The blue Sage 3 has eluded me but haven't really looked all that hard. Last time I looked they were more than I was willing to pay. I assume they're even higher now
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I know I’m in the minority but I actually like the “Cosby sweater” pattern. It reminds me of both Ukrainian embroidery pattern and my late fathers belt that he always wore, (not the disciplinary type, lol!).
Unfortunately it’s hard to find now, and the ones available on eBay, (Canada) go for $300+ and most ebay.com sellers don’t ship here.
Not a huge deal, I’ve got my Domino with the cf, just really like the cbbl on my Manix2 and figured the 3 would be similar plus it has the cf I like.
Almost got one in a trade a while back but the guy decided to carry it one more time before trading it and scraped one of the scales up something awful.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?