Can we get a Bill Ruple/ Spyderco collab?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Candyman

Can we get a Bill Ruple/ Spyderco collab?

Post by Candyman »

In the past couple years I’ve become fascinated with Bill Ruples slip joints. The guy is just an all-around phenomenal knife maker. I would absolutely love to see a slip joint or really any sort of knife designed by Bill and brought on by Spyderco. Anyone else? Been really wanting to see a design like this come out by Spyderco and I think he’d be the perfect person to pull this off.

Rich
Think for yourself
Candyman

Re: Can we get a Bill Ruple/ Spyderco collab?

Post by Candyman »

If you aren’t familiar with Bill’s work I highly recommend checking it out.

Rich
Think for yourself
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

He would have to put a Spyder Hole in place of his nail nick, which would make the collaboration look a lot like the One-Eyed Jack. His Carbon Fiber ones look amazing though.
Attachments
582B98E5-35C0-4C9B-B312-2C33471298A2.jpeg
A1661E54-107B-413A-8442-CC335143B045.png
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Bill Ruple's work is topnotch, but I don't see where it would be a good fit with Spyderco. Mr. Ruple primarily makes traditional patterns that have been around for 100 years or more.

The Lanny's clip posted by Dazen is a relatively new pattern, but the design was created by Tony Bose, not Bill Ruple.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:40 pm
He would have to put a Spyder Hole in place of his nail nick, which would make the collaboration look a lot like the One-Eyed Jack. His Carbon Fiber ones look amazing though.
For that particular one I’d agree but there are plenty other ones that do not look like the one eyed jack.

Rich
Think for yourself
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

dsvirsky wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:18 pm
Bill Ruple's work is topnotch, but I don't see where it would be a good fit with Spyderco. Mr. Ruple primarily makes traditional patterns that have been around for 100 years or more.

The Lanny's clip posted by Dazen is a relatively new pattern, but the design was created by Tony Bose, not Bill Ruple.

I’m struggling to understand how it wouldn’t be a good fit. They have plenty of new designs in their lineup along with a ton of old school designs as well. Just look at the ethnic series for example .

Rich
Think for yourself
araneae

Post by araneae »

Candyman wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:01 pm
dsvirsky wrote:

I’m struggling to understand how it wouldn’t be a good fit. They have plenty of new designs in their lineup along with a ton of old school designs as well. Just look at the ethnic series for example .

Rich
It's not easy to take a traditional slipjoint and turn it into a modern folder. Looking at Ruple's designs, I can't see one that would easily take a spydie hole and modern lock type. He is making straightforward traditional patterns, very nice, but not something that would make a great Spyderco collab.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

araneae wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:06 am
Candyman wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:01 pm
dsvirsky wrote:

Rich
It's not easy to take a traditional slipjoint and turn it into a modern folder. Looking at Ruple's designs, I can't see one that would easily take a spydie hole and modern lock type. He is making straightforward traditional patterns, very nice, but not something that would make a great Spyderco collab.
The spydie hole isn’t an issue. It can be done just like the Roadie. As far as the lock goes.....slipjoint. That’s his thing.

Thanks, Rich
Think for yourself
araneae

Post by araneae »

Candyman wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:06 pm

The spydie hole isn’t an issue. It can be done just like the Roadie. As far as the lock goes.....slipjoint. That’s his thing.

Thanks, Rich
So you just want a roadie style dent in an otherwise straight traditional slippie? The double dent is going to really limit blade shapes; sorry I just can't see that drawing a ton of interest. Also, they would have to find a (new?) maker that did traditionals to produce it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

araneae wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:57 pm
Candyman wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Thanks, Rich
So you just want a roadie style dent in an otherwise straight traditional slippie? The double dent is going to really limit blade shapes; sorry I just can't see that drawing a ton of interest. Also, they would have to find a (new?) maker that did traditionals to produce it.

Fair enough. I respect your opinion. Cheers buddy!

Rich
Think for yourself