Knife myths you should not accept as true a priori (meant to be a POSITIVE thread!)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: Knife myths you should not accept as true a priori (meant to be a POSITIVE thread!)

Post by Tucson Tom »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:07 pm

Lockbacks cannot be closed one handed, and are slow. I've made numerous videos showing multiple ways to close them one handed, and showing they can be as fast to operate as any other folding knife lock.
This has been presented many times. Just because you (and Wartstein) can do it, does not mean it is not true for most people. I like back locks just fine. If I had to be able to close them one handed to like them -- well I wouldn't like them at all. But I use them as a knife, not a fidget toy, so closing them one handed -- I just shrug and say "who cares". I was carrying and using my Native 5 the past 10 days or so and found it immensely useful without having to be able to close it one handed.

At best I would consider this a topic of hot controversy, not a Myth.
Bloke

Re: Knife myths you should not accept as true a priori (meant to be a POSITIVE thread!)

Post by Bloke »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:09 pm
Vivi wrote:

Lockbacks cannot be closed one handed, and are slow. I've made numerous videos showing multiple ways to close them one handed, and showing they can be as fast to operate as any other folding knife lock.
This has been presented many times. Just because you (and Wartstein) can do it ...
Hey Tom, you forgot Gringo. He’s very fast too!

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:09 pm
Vivi wrote:

This has been presented many times. Just because you (and Wartstein) can do it, does not mean it is not true for most people. I like back locks just fine. If I had to be able to close them one handed to like them -- well I wouldn't like them at all. But I use them as a knife, not a fidget toy, so closing them one handed -- I just shrug and say "who cares". I was carrying and using my Native 5 the past 10 days or so and found it immensely useful without having to be able to close it one handed.

At best I would consider this a topic of hot controversy, not a Myth.
Really not meaning to be offensive (!), but "not true for most people"??? Really, I am just an average guy when it comes to dexterity, but just from frequently using (and closing) my backlocks it became equally easy and natural (well, in fact MORE easy and natural) closing them one handed than let's say a comp. lock. ANYBODY who can generally close a folder one handed can do it, believe me.

Just try it like Eric Glesser does in vids: Press lockbar with thumb. Shake blade closed till Ricasso/choil hits your index finger. Rotate knife till spine of the HANDLE faces your palm. Close fully with thumb on spine of the BLADE (which is EASIER than with any other lock due to the bias to closing).

And if for some reason I maybe just can't see that still does not work for YOU, it WILL work for most (I mean, not just "Vivi and me" have no problems here, but from what I read many frequent knife users)
Please, folks, just USE your backlock folders, it WILL get easy to close them one handed quite soon, if you generally can close a folder one handed at all.
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Barring medical conditions any adult should be able to squeeze a lockback release and nudge the blade closed on their thigh, similar to how folks would often close a lockback.

For the more dextrous you can put your index finger in the opening hole while squeezing the lock release, and use your finger to swing the blade shut.

For those with strong fingers, pinch the scales with your hand while depressing the lock release with your index finger, and simply swing the blade shut.

Depress the lockback with your thumb, let the blade swing half shut, then move your fingers out of the way of the cutting edge and finish the closing motion.

Depress the lockbar and nudge the blade shut on a table / tree or whatever is nearby.

There are so many easy ways to close a lockback one handed, one of them is bound to work. The idea of them being tough to close one handed is a myth in my eyes.

https://streamable.com/2rzwf

That first method works great with the Native.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree, it's quite easy. I use the depress the lock, give it a little shake until it's half closed against your finger (obviously as long as the cutting edge isn't the full length of the blade) then move your finger and close it. Extremely easy. I've already done it twice this morning with my Dfly. ANYBODY should be able to do this.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:46 am
ANYBODY should be able to do this.
Then maybe I am a candidate!

Using my thigh is certainly straightforward enough -- but I didn't think that would receive full credit. This is certainly what comes to mind in the 1 in 1000 time I actually need to close a back-lock one handed (like when I am holding onto a ladder with the other hand).

Closing it free (without aid) is as you say quite do-able with the squeeze and shake, but at least for me that had my fingers in the blade path. So, OK, I'll give you guys the nod. I prefer using my thigh, forehead, biceps, or some other part of my body as mentioned above though -- less fiddling around that might lead to dropping a knife when up on a ladder or such -- which is the main real world reason I can think of for needing/wanting to close the knife one handed.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:09 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Using my thigh is certainly straightforward enough -- but I didn't think that would receive full credit. This is certainly what comes to mind in the 1 in 1000 time I actually need to close a back-lock one handed (like when I am holding onto a ladder with the other hand).

Closing it free (without aid) is as you say quite do-able with the squeeze and shake, but at least for me that had my fingers in the blade path. So, OK, I'll give you guys the nod. I prefer using my thigh, forehead, biceps, or some other part of my body as mentioned above though -- less fiddling around that might lead to dropping a knife when up on a ladder or such -- which is the main real world reason I can think of for needing/wanting to close the knife one handed.
Funny... for me one of the main advantages a backlock has over a comp.lock is that it's a lot LESS likely to drop the knife while closing it... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tucson Tom wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

One hand + thigh still = one hand :cool: You've got this!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:23 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

One hand + thigh still = one hand :cool: You've got this!
Technically right, of course...

BUT: My wish and goal would be, that people really give backlocks a chance in closing them with ONLY one hand and not plus another part of the body or even "not of the body" ;) - I am 100% convinced that it just takes a bit practice or comes even naturally just from frequently using the knife. Anybody who can generally close a folder one handed at all can do so with a backlock also.

Cause imho that´s what the myth is about: "Backlocks are hard to close with JUST one hand and nothing else, and that´s not the case with other locks"...
Monty

Post by Monty »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:40 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Funny... for me one of the main advantages a backlock has over a comp.lock is that it's a lot LESS likely to drop the knife while closing it... ;)
I agree as long as the knife has a choil to swing shut on. This is one of the reasons I chose not to replace my dragonfly with the lil native comp lock version.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:40 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I agree, as a big fan of backlocks, that most folks should be able to close them safely one-handed (assuming adequate ricasso or choil)-- but we are all different and have different strength and dexterity.

As a counterpoint, Wartstein, to your last point: I have taken to closing my Shaman "backlock style"-- even chatted with Pelagic about that. It is almost the same action as with a backlock-- just pressing sideways (on the comp lock tab)instead of down (on the backlock's lockbar). This allows me to easily drop the choil to index finger and then roll the knife in the palm (just as with a backlock) and then close it.

I am not saying this is viable for other comp lock models (for example, i would certainly not use this method with a Caribbean), nor for all hands, but it works great for me on the Shaman. I now close the Shaman "backlock method" at least as often as i use the pinch grip closing method that seems popular with comp lock users.

Anyhow, just wanted to dispell that myth about 'risk of dropping a (choil-equiped) comp lock knife while closing'-- but i am still mostly a 'backlock guy.'
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have no problem at all closing Spyderco back locks, BUT at wouldn't try to close a CS Triad lock one-handed again. I cut the tendon in my right index finger trying it with a CS Code4, and will never try that with a Triad lock again. Also, I understand many people will close a Buck 110 one-handed by pressing the blade against their leg as they're depressing the lock, but I wouldn't try it with a 110 either. I have zero problems with one-hand closing Spyderco back locks, which are actually MID-back locks.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Lock backs have more ways to safely close one handed than other locks. I never let the blade fall onto my finger. Rather, I prefer to control the blade all the was with my finger in the hole or on the spine.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A myth related to back locks:

Liner locks are just as strong as back locks or stronger.

This myth persists even though Sal and Eric are both on record contradicting it. All knife lock tests show different, as well. It is true that Spyderco makes a good and generally safe version of the lock but a liner lock is not as stout as a rule.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:49 pm
I have no problem at all closing Spyderco back locks, BUT at wouldn't try to close a CS Triad lock one-handed again. I cut the tendon in my right index finger trying it with a CS Code4, and will never try that with a Triad lock again. Also, I understand many people will close a Buck 110 one-handed by pressing the blade against their leg as they're depressing the lock, but I wouldn't try it with a 110 either. I have zero problems with one-hand closing Spyderco back locks, which are actually MID-back locks.

Jim
I have no issues doing that, or swinging choil-less Spydercos down half-way like the method described above. I have a Voyager XL and Large Voyager I sometimes carry, and both are made so that if you put your index finger on the corner of the index choil, when the blade swings shut the kick hits your index finger. I adopted that method with the Voyager because putting my index finger on the thumbstud doesn't work as well as it does with the opening hole.

In this video I show how I close a Voyager XL one handed, then show the same method with the choil-free Pacific Salt (Don't even have to move my index finger from my using grip for it to be safe), then I show how I normally close a Pacific Salt using my index finger to guide the blade, lastly I show a fun fidget way of closing them. You can open them the same way, press the lock release with your index finger and give it a wrist flick.

https://streamable.com/ag148

Using inertia to swing the blade shut after swinging it half-way closed is fun. Easier with heavier blades like the Voyager XL.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I don't really care about closing a knife. I just want to be able to open it one handed quickly and easily. One is objectively more of a safety concern than the other when it comes to my lifestyle.
Last edited by Pelagic on Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I don't recall ever reading or hearing anyone say a linerlock was as strong or stronger than a backlock.

Myth: High carbide steels don't take or hold a fine edge as long as low/no carbide steels.
vivi

Post by vivi »

jpm2 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:58 pm
I don't recall ever reading or hearing anyone say a linerlock was as strong or stronger than a backlock.

Myth: High carbide steels don't take or hold a fine edge as long as low/no carbide steels.
Great one.

I will say sometimes lower carbide steels can be a better choice for knives where high sharpness is important, due to the ease of keeping them that sharp, but high carbide steels can absolutely take fine, polished edges and hold them.

A lot of people seem to think the S30V, S110V etc. can't hold hair whittling sharp mirror edges, but there is 0 truth to that. In fact S30V was the first blade steel I got hair whittling sharp (Original G10 UKPK off a DMT Fine)
James Y

Post by James Y »

jpm2 wrote:
I have both read and heard people say that liner locks are as strong or stronger than lockbacks. But it's been many years since then. Mostly back in the late '90s/early 2K. I recall reading something posted by Chris Caracci (who designed Benchmade's AFCK, which was originally inspired to be a liner lock version of Spyderco's Police model), say that liner locks were superior and safer/more reliable than lockbacks. IIRC, he also said that liner locks are also safer/more reliable than Axis locks.

I read in a knife making book by Bob Terzuola that liner locks are better and safer than lockbacks, because liner locks operate under compression, whereas lockbacks rely on tension, and are therefore more prone to catastrophic failure when they do fail, than a liner lock is.

I knew a knife dealer who used to say that liner locks are always going to be stronger and more reliable than lockbacks, and that's why he preferred them for himself.

I used to have a videotape by some guy who used to sell survival/self-defense gear and put out VHS videos back in the '90s who also stated that, compared to lockbacks, "the liner lock is a better system," and that if you buy a tactical knife for SD, make sure it has a liner lock.

Those are some examples. I started noticing more criticisms of liner locks since around early 2K, around the time that BM introduced the Axis lock.

I like some liner lock knives (my favorite being the Military), but I do not believe that liner locks are superior. Admittedly, I did believe it for a brief period in the late '90s, because I'd heard enough other people say so, and because the modern version of the liner lock was "hot" at the time. Also, my very first locking knife back in the '70s had a brass liner lock that acted as a backup to a backspring on a large Schrade folding hunter. But in the '90s, of course, it was the Walker liner lock that people were gaga over.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:22 pm
A myth related to back locks:

Liner locks are just as strong as back locks or stronger.

This myth persists even though Sal and Eric are both on record contradicting it. All knife lock tests show different, as well. It is true that Spyderco makes a good and generally safe version of the lock but a liner lock is not as stout as a rule.
James Y wrote:
jpm2 wrote:
I have both read and heard people say that liner locks are as strong or stronger than lockbacks.....
Funny, I know that "myth" the other way round, even posted it in my original post when I started this thread (copy and paste below):

(Myth:)
" Linerlocks are too weak: : No, at least not on Spydies. They have other aspects that make me like backlocks more, but no Spyderco linerlock will ever fail due to "weakness" in a normal or even hard knife task."