Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hardbawl
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 8:25 am

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby Hardbawl » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:47 am

Wow! I never knew getting a knife really sharp could cost so much in time and money. I use my $68 Sharpmaker. When my new Native 5 in Cruwear arrived, the Sharpmaker was employed per Sal’s instructions (almost). I like the 30% angle better. Hey, it’s my knife. The knife responded so well that it treetopped hairs. The next day, the Native 5 hadn’t seen a whole lot of use. It still had that EDGE. But, I got out the Sharpmaker and put in the fine stones flat side on. I gave the blade 20 passes per side (alternating) using the softest touch I could muster. To my surprise, the edge was sharper. Way sharper.

This has become my EDC Sharpening Method. At less than a 5 minute expenditure of time I have a truly sharp knife everyday. Oh, I tried this method on VG 10 and S30V. Works the same. Those 20 daily feather light passes on the Sharpmaker’s fine stones do something great to the edge. Listen to Sal. He is the man!

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:49 am

Yep just remember Dish gloves, Barkeepers friend cleanser and a paper towel are all you need to keep those rods cutting perfectly. There simply is no faster way by comparison comet and other methods take way more time and elbow grease.

You can use a green scrubby kitchen sponge also and bonus if your sink is stainless steel you can use what’s left over to clean the sink.

User avatar
PStone
Member
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: USA Illinois

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby PStone » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:32 pm

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:29 pm
Sorry I read this and think backfill for a missed design feature, if you are going for fixed angle system then by goodness please fix your bloody angle!!

Sharpmaker still owns this space, this thing a great idea yes but lock your position otherwise???

Really who looked at this and thought wow great? some dork in a suit at a aboard meeting that never sharpened a knife?

Who was the person who never sharpened a knife and said Hey let’s develop this and market this?

Seriously WOW! All I have to say is the idea starts off good but is an epic fail.

Back to the drawing board and you better ask the ones who approved this what part of a fixed sharpening system escapes the basics of fixed how dare you rip us knife folks off for a system allowing for random rotation.

C’mon this is not good.

Dang, shiny footprints bro.
sal wrote:
Sun May 13, 2007 11:37 am
This is a sensitive subject, so I would appreciate your patience and understanding.

The hostility that seems to appear on the forum makes it an uncomfortable place to be. This is opposite the intention.

Much of the hostility seems to be centered around the "round hole issue".

After listening to comments, discussion and much thought (which requires time becausae I'm sometimes slow), I have a request.

I am asking you to pull any tag lines or comments that could be percerived as hostile or antagonistic to other companies in the knife industry, while on our forums.

I realize that to many, it is an important issue, and I will admit to being sensitive myself, but a negative approach is not good for the industry or Spyderco in the industry.

Intelligent, civil communication is more valuable.

We have always tried to "leave shiny footprints" where ever we go. I personally have tried to avoid negative comments towards other companies. (No, I'm not perfect either :o ) I think it serves to keep thoughts about Spyderco and other companies more positive than negative.

If you would like to be closely associated with Spyderco, which we greatly appreciate, it would be our wish that you consider leaving shiny footprints rather than hostile feelings, where Spyderco is concerened.

thanx much for your cooperation and kind understanding.

sal
It’s designed that way. And most of the reviews are positive. It’s all about the ergos and making it comfortable to use.
Their guided field sharpener has that same “floating” feature. Difference being that one can be locked and not wobble. It’s an aide to help novice/new sharpener maintain correct contact with the stone all the way to the tip.
“In the book of life, the answers aren’t in the back.”
-Charlie Brown

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Sorry get tired of all the gimmicks and the design is flawed. Had they made it lock into positions even in a ratcheting manner it would be much better.

Part of what burned me up were the fake reviews on Amazon that were posted 2 months in advance of it even being available let alone being sold on Amazon.

That is just dirty business, if you want to spend your money based on fake reviews go for it, use it then I will read your words respectfully.

User avatar
PStone
Member
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: USA Illinois

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby PStone » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:23 pm

Roger that. Will do. In the meantime, can you refrain yourself from the negative comments towards Worksharp. Not sure how dirty their business is exactly. Shiny footprints again.....

And not sure about the comments on Amazon predating release. Could be product testers/reviewers that received them early.
“In the book of life, the answers aren’t in the back.”
-Charlie Brown

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:01 pm

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:23 pm
Roger that. Will do. In the meantime, can you refrain yourself from the negative comments towards Worksharp. Not sure how dirty their business is exactly. Shiny footprints again.....

And not sure about the comments on Amazon predating release. Could be product testers/reviewers that received them early.
I spoke truthfully about the early Amazon reviews so you can be sure about that and have already said my peace so if you don’t like it quit inviting it, drop it okay? Shine your own foot prints first.

User avatar
PStone
Member
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: USA Illinois

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby PStone » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:01 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:23 pm
Roger that. Will do. In the meantime, can you refrain yourself from the negative comments towards Worksharp. Not sure how dirty their business is exactly. Shiny footprints again.....

And not sure about the comments on Amazon predating release. Could be product testers/reviewers that received them early.
I spoke truthfully about the early Amazon reviews so you can be sure about that and have already said my peace so if you don’t like it quit inviting it, drop it okay? Shine your own foot prints first.

No. I won’t let it go. You don’t get to tell me what to do. My footprints are about as shiny as they come. I merely pointed out that the freely rotating rods were part of the design, and not a flaw. You then started spouting hate by calling worksharp designers names, and accusing them of ripping everyone off. I then referred you to a quote from the owner of this company, and this company’s forum about shiny footprints. Followed by more hate and accusations of fake reviews as well as dirty business from you. So no, I won’t let it go and I can feel confident in the reflective properties of my footprints doing so.
“In the book of life, the answers aren’t in the back.”
-Charlie Brown

vivi
Member
Posts: 7214
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby vivi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:39 pm

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BU9707 ... ning-Stone

Can we talk about the sharpening device I did order, instead of talking about the one I didn't?

:D
Carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 SE | Siren | Police 4 LW | Police 4 K390 | C95 Manix foliage green | Manix XL M4 DLC | Street Beat LW | Aqua Salt

User avatar
PStone
Member
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: USA Illinois

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby PStone » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:07 pm

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:39 pm
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BU9707 ... ning-Stone

Can we talk about the sharpening device I did order, instead of talking about the one I didn't?

:D
Right on. I’ve almost jumped on that a couple times. They used to stock them at my Farm and Fleet store. They’re very slim. And a bit shorter than a DS2. You got big hands, so you may not dig this one. I prefer the DS and DS2 size. About as small as I like go. But as far as the quality of diamond, Buck’s edgetek rods are great, and last forever. So I don’t see this being any different.
“In the book of life, the answers aren’t in the back.”
-Charlie Brown

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:33 pm

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:24 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:01 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:23 pm
Roger that. Will do. In the meantime, can you refrain yourself from the negative comments towards Worksharp. Not sure how dirty their business is exactly. Shiny footprints again.....

And not sure about the comments on Amazon predating release. Could be product testers/reviewers that received them early.
I spoke truthfully about the early Amazon reviews so you can be sure about that and have already said my peace so if you don’t like it quit inviting it, drop it okay? Shine your own foot prints first.

No. I won’t let it go. You don’t get to tell me what to do. My footprints are about as shiny as they come. I merely pointed out that the freely rotating rods were part of the design, and not a flaw. You then started spouting hate by calling worksharp designers names, and accusing them of ripping everyone off. I then referred you to a quote from the owner of this company, and this company’s forum about shiny footprints. Followed by more hate and accusations of fake reviews as well as dirty business from you. So no, I won’t let it go and I can feel confident in the reflective properties of my footprints doing so.
Best wishes to you.

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:55 pm

Independent company used for spotting fake reviews on Amazon. Www.fakespot.com pop in the Amazon review URL and it parses the reviews, I have found this to be highly accurate.

Worksharp new toy: it gets an F rating.

https://www.fakespot.com/product/work-s ... -sharpener

Spyderco Sharpmaker:

It gets an A rating

https://www.fakespot.com/product/spyder ... ener-204mf

Now if someone wants to get upset that is out of my control these are the facts of the matter.

Spend wisely.

Looking forward to how that stone turns out for you Vivi.

vivi
Member
Posts: 7214
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby vivi » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:31 am

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:55 pm
Independent company used for spotting fake reviews on Amazon. Www.fakespot.com pop in the Amazon review URL and it parses the reviews, I have found this to be highly accurate.

Worksharp new toy: it gets an F rating.

https://www.fakespot.com/product/work-s ... -sharpener

Spyderco Sharpmaker:

It gets an A rating

https://www.fakespot.com/product/spyder ... ener-204mf

Now if someone wants to get upset that is out of my control these are the facts of the matter.

Spend wisely.

Looking forward to how that stone turns out for you Vivi.
I appreciate the transparency. Paid reviews are a bigger issue than most folks realize. There are rooms full of people being paid a wage to manipulate the information you see on the internet.

Shiny footprints is noble, but the fake spyderco forum exists for a reason.
Carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 SE | Siren | Police 4 LW | Police 4 K390 | C95 Manix foliage green | Manix XL M4 DLC | Street Beat LW | Aqua Salt

User avatar
PStone
Member
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: USA Illinois

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby PStone » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:12 am

https://www.fakespot.com/walmart/spyder ... pmaker-set

And the sharpmaker gets an F at Walmart. Doesn’t mean Spyderco is running a dirty business. It’s a fantastic product and company, I’m sure you all agree.

You all missed the point of my posts, and maybe I’m missing you alls. But discussing a product is a whole lot different than talking trash about a company and it’s employees. I thought that was why we had the shiny rule in the first place. Maybe I don’t post enough to say anything when I see it. So I’ll take my nobility and re-engage lurk mode.
“In the book of life, the answers aren’t in the back.”
-Charlie Brown

User avatar
jpm2
Member
Posts: 959
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: TX - in the sticks

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby jpm2 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:31 am

I'm sure there's plenty of fake reviews on a lot of products, but how fakespot determines whether one is fake or not is questionable to me.

User avatar
p_atrick
Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:35 pm
Location: Boston Area

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby p_atrick » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:56 am

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:39 pm
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BU9707 ... ning-Stone

Can we talk about the sharpening device I did order, instead of talking about the one I didn't?

:D
How often do you find yourself needing to sharpen on the go? Also, have you tried a SM CBN or diamond rod instead? I know it is not as "pocket friendly", but I dislike having such a short surface on which to sharpen. Plus I always worry about touching my thumb (holding the stone) with the edge of the blade. So I don't use the full length of an already short stone. The SM rod gives me more length which I find more comfortable and I feel "safer" about it as well. The narrow surface doesn't bother me as much.

vivi
Member
Posts: 7214
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby vivi » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:31 pm

p_atrick wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:56 am
Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:39 pm
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BU9707 ... ning-Stone

Can we talk about the sharpening device I did order, instead of talking about the one I didn't?

:D
How often do you find yourself needing to sharpen on the go? Also, have you tried a SM CBN or diamond rod instead? I know it is not as "pocket friendly", but I dislike having such a short surface on which to sharpen. Plus I always worry about touching my thumb (holding the stone) with the edge of the blade. So I don't use the full length of an already short stone. The SM rod gives me more length which I find more comfortable and I feel "safer" about it as well. The narrow surface doesn't bother me as much.
I more or less bought it to try out some different grits for cheap. For $15 I get two different grits to play with for finishing my edges.

For portable sharpening I really like the diamond file on my Wave +. Sometimes I even use it when I'm at home because the finish it gives works really well for my uses. I love having a good sharpening rod built into my multitool!
Carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 SE | Siren | Police 4 LW | Police 4 K390 | C95 Manix foliage green | Manix XL M4 DLC | Street Beat LW | Aqua Salt

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:41 pm

So I got a bit hot under the collar with work-sharp and the Amazon reviews being posted 2 months before release of the sharpener. It is not sitting well with me to voice such strong opinions without ever having actually placed hands on the sharpening system and trying it out. That goes against my own internal rules of conduct.

I purchased one of these sharpeners last night because I must always put my money where my mouth is and really use something before I have the right to discuss it. Bad purchase or not it is on it's way I have to live up to my own standards. Will be sure to offer a truthful and honest review with pictures in use.

vivi
Member
Posts: 7214
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby vivi » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:46 pm

I almost walked out of a gun store with their field sharpener. Seems like a pretty versatile portable kit, with two diamond plates, a ceramic rod and strop. I see myself getting one at some point.
Carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 SE | Siren | Police 4 LW | Police 4 K390 | C95 Manix foliage green | Manix XL M4 DLC | Street Beat LW | Aqua Salt

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:48 pm

Vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:46 pm
I almost walked out of a gun store with their field sharpener. Seems like a pretty versatile portable kit, with two diamond plates, a ceramic rod and strop. I see myself getting one at some point.
I think you should I have one and it is very convenient. The diamond plates are indeed of good quality.

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:50 pm

I am also pleased to report that I am receiving both a 4000 grit and 8000 grit Shapton Glass stones for Christmas, shhhhh don't tell me I'll try to act surprised :)


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], SeanOD and 41 guests