Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by kennethsime »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:45 pm
Also check out my dremel job for using the Sharpmaker Precision Adjust with spyderco knives. I cut out one side of it and left the other factory. The knife is just as easy to center in the jaws but being able to hold the blade like this means the bevel angle is more consistent front to back.
Pardon my ignorance, but what did you Dremel?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:59 pm

If you look at Tkok83's picture of the CRK in the worksharp precision adjust, you'll notice the side plate on the clamp has a small V cutout to help center the knife in the jaws of the clamp. It looks like that on both sides from the factory. I dremeled out a slot on one side to let spyderco blades fit deeper into the jaws.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I personnally just put it sideways and clamp it as hard as I can. I think I'm gonna use the dremel too, thanks for the idea @metaphoricalsimile !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Robert Ptacek

Post by Robert Ptacek »

olywa wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:22 pm
Smooooooooth..... How are the corners on your Diamond rods holding up?
Please school me.I thought somewhere I read(heard) that they didn't advise using the corners on the diamonds or am I misrememberiing.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Robert Ptacek wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:55 am
olywa wrote:
Please school me.I thought somewhere I read(heard) that they didn't advise using the corners on the diamonds or am I misrememberiing.
The corners on the diamond or CBN rods are the best way to reprofile an SE edge. You need to take your time and use very light pressure or they will wear out quickly.
-Turbo
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:05 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:59 pm

If you look at Tkok83's picture of the CRK in the worksharp precision adjust, you'll notice the side plate on the clamp has a small V cutout to help center the knife in the jaws of the clamp. It looks like that on both sides from the factory. I dremeled out a slot on one side to let spyderco blades fit deeper into the jaws.
Ahh, gotcha! I have the same sharpener, may have to try this.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That crowned spine on the Sebenza doesn't do many favors with the clamp in this system. Thankfully it clamps enough that I haven't had any issues with the knife moving during sharpening. Still working at that knife, lost a bit of motivation the past few days though!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Here are closer pics of my WS PA clamp mod. The advantage is that it's easier to set up the edge on tall spyderco blades a consistent distance from the pivot of the sharpening stone slider, hence giving your bevel a more consistent angle across the whole blade. I found that leaving the blade sort of half-out-of-the-clamp made the system too flexy for my liking, considering it's already a fairly flexy sharpening system.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I like that. May need to copy it. Great Improvement!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Robert Ptacek

Post by Robert Ptacek »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:44 am
Robert Ptacek wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:55 am
olywa wrote:
The corners on the diamond or CBN rods are the best way to reprofile an SE edge. You need to take your time and use very light pressure or they will wear out quickly.
Gotcha,Thank You.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Just bought myself a 220 DMT Dia Sharp.

I have some 220 and lower with venevs and work sharp, but I wanted a bigger stone to try some stuff out.
I'll make a 220 edge on one of my folders (or the MC Mule if it needs sharpening fast enough).
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:42 am

I have some 220 and lower with venevs and work sharp, but I wanted a bigger stone to try some stuff out.
I'll make a 220 edge on one of my folders (or the MC Mule if it needs sharpening fast enough).
Which one is the 220? I have a coarse/fine and a fine/extra fine currently and I have a coarse/extra coarse on the way.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I have the coarse/extra coarse stone myself and that thing is awesome. Extra coarse side when new, I'd break it in with a cheap knife first. When I used mine the first time, the knife was hopping on the stone with very light pressure.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:08 am
Ramonade wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:42 am

Which one is the 220? I have a coarse/fine and a fine/extra fine currently and I have a coarse/extra coarse on the way.
The extra coarse is the 220. They even have a extra extra coarse code (silver color) wich is 120 grit, but I don't know if it exist in their diasharp line, I have their small 4" whetstone in 120 grit and 8000 grit ^^.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I like double sided stones, but I often use the diasharp stones in my hand close to my face, I like to have the smooth side under it ^^

Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Bit of a tip to make the Worksharp PE less flexy during use:

Purchase a V-Clamp support to hold it up. I purchased the one linked below, but any of a similar design will do the trick. Made a HUGE difference in consistency and stiffness on my system, and I'm able to get much better apexes. Only downside is that it takes longer to flip the knife over because you have to remove the support before rotating the clamp. A worthy sacrifice IMO for increased stability.

https://www.gritomatic.com/collections/ ... ion-adjust
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Yep it's pretty useful to have something supporting it ! I personnally use commemorative coins from the soccer world cup of 1998 and a stiff eraser :squinting-tongue

olywa

Post by olywa »

Just picked up a DMT 10x4 DuoSharp in Coarse/Extra Coarse. I have had the Fine/Extra Fine for some time and really appreciate the extra real estate on these 10x4 DMTs.
Last edited by olywa on Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

Loving this Precision Adjust Dremel mod.

I got a Worksharp clamp adapter from Gritomatic, it fits a KakBritva clamp - wide with a split in the middle and a bolt on each side for adjustment. Holds the FFG blades perfectly. It does put the blade out farther from the sharpener, so you have to use an angle finder.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I used my benchstones to sharpen my Stretch 2 K390 and was really pleased with how easy it sharpens. The burr formed quickly and removed quickly on the stones. Stropped up very sharp.