Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by Ramonade »

Just received my first k390 knife, never tried the "little" offerings of spyderco, and I thought the k390 Ladybug would be a perfect way to start !

However, I'm a bit disappointed to have to sharpen the knife upon receival. This thing has a gigantic burr that can whittle wood.

Believe me when I say : It's not a micro bevel ! Since it's k390, i'll still try to remove the burr but this might not be as easy, I do not know this steel at all (that was the whole point of buying the knife).

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:18 pm
However, I'm a bit disappointed to have to sharpen the knife upon receival. This thing has a gigantic burr that can whittle wood.

Believe me when I say : It's not a micro bevel ! Since it's k390, i'll still try to remove the burr but this might not be as easy, I do not know this steel at all (that was the whole point of buying the knife).
Mine Stretch 2 in K390 had a burr, too. Not one I would call gigantic, and it was not all the way along the edge, but it was there.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Had a man bug K390 that had a nasty burr. Other K390 knives I have came with great edges.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ramonade wrote:
Just received my first k390 knife, never tried the "little" offerings of spyderco, and I thought the k390 Ladybug would be a perfect way to start !

4 or 5 strokes on the sharpmaker at 40 degrees should clean that right up. No fun having to touch up a brand new knife, but K390 isn't terribly difficult to sharpen. It's reprofiling where the real joy is :grin-smiling-eyes
:unicorn
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I sadly do not own the sharpmaker, I have japanese alumine whetstones, diamond stones (DMT, Venev, WorkSharp) and the WorkSharp precision adjust.

I started to reduce it by using the Ceramic rod of the work sharp guided field sharpener :
I might take it to the diamond, but I wanted to preserve the "factory edge" as much as I could, to see how long it would last. Smallest knife I've ever owned that isn't a sak, not that used to that small of an edge ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:16 pm
Ramonade wrote:

4 or 5 strokes on the sharpmaker at 40 degrees should clean that right up. No fun having to touch up a brand new knife, but K390 isn't terribly difficult to sharpen. It's reprofiling where the real joy is :grin-smiling-eyes
This was my solution, too. Worked fine.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've reclaimed ~90% of the cutting edge, the heel is more difficult since I have a ceramic cylinder and there's this unsharpened part blocking me.

vivi

Post by vivi »

Touched up four knives last night.

1. M4 DLC Chief. All this one needed was a few strokes on the medium rods and it was aggressively shaving again.

2. H1 Pacific Salt. It had been dulled some at work. Gave it about ten strokes per side on a 180 grit diamond stone, alternating sides every stroke. Cleanly shaved after that so didn't bother stropping.

3. Rex45 Chief. Same as above, gave it about ten strokes per side on 180 grit. Even better edge than the Pacific Salt - I'd be happy seeing a knife shave this well off the brown sharpmaker rods, much less 180 grit.

4. LC200N Pacific Salt. This one has a very thin bevel, but its kind of uneven. I smoothed it out a little in the process of trying to grind off the microbevel. Still needs work. The apex is extremely sharp - did the 180 grit plate again and I'd say this is the sharpest edge I've gotten from it. Somehow it shaves almost as cleanly as the much more polished M4 Chief. Dunno how I managed that, but I'm excited to try this edge out!

Afterward I gave them all a pivot adjustment and some loctite.

Told myself I'd be carrying one of these today. Only question is which one? Leaning towards one of the Chiefs.
silverhays

Post by silverhays »

How do you guys sharpen smaller knives?

I learned to free hand larger kitchen knives pretty well but can't sharpen smaller knives like the ladybugs, dragonfly, my small victorinox utility etc. to save my life. I currently only have Shapton 320/1000 stones and some leather/balsa wood strops with different compounds. I've been thinking about upgrading to the KME or Worksharp Precision(w/ gritomatic upgrade) but I'm not sure. Can these guided systems do these tiny knives? Also, are the Shapton stones even good for harder steels or should I upgrade to diamond stones if I stick with bench stones? I have a bunch of 20cv, K390 etc.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

silverhays wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:12 pm

I learned to free hand larger kitchen knives pretty well but can't sharpen smaller knives like the ladybugs, dragonfly, my small victorinox utility etc. to save my life. I currently only have Shapton 320/1000 stones and some leather/balsa wood strops with different compounds. I've been thinking about upgrading to the KME or Worksharp Precision(w/ gritomatic upgrade) but I'm not sure. Can these guided systems do these tiny knives? Also, are the Shapton stones even good for harder steels or should I upgrade to diamond stones if I stick with bench stones? I have a bunch of 20cv, K390 etc.
Back on page 45 I talked about sharpening my Dragonfly.

I really like the Precision Adjust. I use it for the final touches on freehand jobs that need a little refinement. I've also reprofiled a few knives with it as well, it's the best sharpener out there for the price.

That said, on smaller knives I think it would be difficult to use. Not only because of the size of the clamp, but with the Precision Adjust it's also hard to get right down to the ricasso.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

silverhays wrote:

What kind of issues are you running into with smaller knives? I mostly carry small knives and freehand them on Venev diamond stones with good results.

-Turbo
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

silverhays wrote:

I usually do small knives free hand, but I can already tell you that the Ladybug easily fits on the Work Sharp Precision Adjust. Just had it but had some trouble with the factory edge, saved it but it performed poorly, just did put a 600 edge on it this afternoon. Didn't bother using the venev stones with the gritomatic holder. 320 > 600 > stropping.

It's perfectly aggressive still at 600 :)

PS : However, Victorinox 58mm SAKs do not fit this sytem, the 91mm and Cadet-size fits, the others way to small in terms of blade height.

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Do anyone has tips sharpening S90V steel ? Thank you MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

those $52 sharpmakers at dack sure were tempting, but I find myself using them for PE less and less as the months go on. Touched up my yojumbo on a 200 grit diamond stone last night and it cleanly shaves. These low grit edges are the truth. Spending so much less time sharpening. Touching up the yojumbo only took 3 strokes per side.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:38 am
those $52 sharpmakers at dack sure were tempting, but I find myself using them for PE less and less as the months go on. Touched up my yojumbo on a 200 grit diamond stone last night and it cleanly shaves. These low grit edges are the truth. Spending so much less time sharpening. Touching up the yojumbo only took 3 strokes per side.
I haven't touched my standard Sharpmaker in months! Free hand or Precision Adjust for me. Though I do use the custom Sharpmaker that Pat 3D printed for me for touchups. 17dps slots are PERFECT for many knives in general and microbevels as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

vivi wrote:
I've found that it also greatly improves the quality of the sharpening. There is a ton less marging for error when you only do some strokes on one stone vs a full set of stones.

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:29 pm
vivi wrote:
I've found that it also greatly improves the quality of the sharpening. There is a ton less marging for error when you only do some strokes on one stone vs a full set of stones.
Agreed! Unless I'm reprofiling a blade I almost always sharpen on a single stone/grit. Fast and as mentioned less chance to mess up the angle.
-Turbo
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Got my Rex 45 Chief in the mail, and in comparison I found my Millie not as sharp as I liked.
A few passes on the black DMT, followed by two on each side on the Spyderco medium ceramic changed that in a hurry.
I think I'll do those finishing passes in the future, it doesn't kill the micro serrations and the edge feels very clean and crisp.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:43 am
vivi wrote:
I haven't touched my standard Sharpmaker in months! Free hand or Precision Adjust for me. Though I do use the custom Sharpmaker that Pat 3D printed for me for touchups. 17dps slots are PERFECT for many knives in general and microbevels as well.

Now that I stabilized the rod and tribrasive on the precision adjust I find that i use it more. Its this product and freehand for me.

vivi

Post by vivi »

the thing that's wild about my low grit edges is how long they're holding shaving sharpness.

since I touched up my yojumbo I've broken down some large boxes for recycling, cut a knot out of my girlfriends dog's fur, cut bread and sliced tomatoes and other misc food prep, sliced up an old foam mattress topper to stuff a punching bag, trimmed some carpet while helping a friend renovate, opened a lot of mail (christmas presents etc.), cut up some paper to make flash cards and other misc. tasks.

that 200 grit edge still cleanly shaves,and hasn't slowed down one bit when it comes to cutting performance.