Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Working on reprofiling my Maxamet PM2 going from appox. 12dps to 17dps. It has some interesting burr formation. Sometimes you get strips of burr that break off and other times it just builds up into clumps. Probably wouldn't notice if it wasn't for the amount of material I have to remove. It's only 3/4 of the way done and kicking my butt.
Attachments
WIN_20211005_17_26_13_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211005_17_39_29_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211005_17_39_38_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211005_17_22_50_Pro.jpg
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:59 pm
It's only 3/4 of the way done and kicking my butt.
Hey, Josh.
It seems to me that Maxamet likes to chip when I try to removed material too quickly, either through the use of excessively coarse stones, or through the use of some cheap stones because I don't want to use my good ones for that purpose. It seems to me that the edge gets buggered up, and I have to fix it with stones that aren't so aggressive. Give something gentler a try.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well I dunno what I'm gonna do with this Pacific Salt. I noticed the teeth fracturing off once I reached the apex with the diamond rods.

Not very impressed, never seen that happen taking H1 to 15 degrees. I know I've been using light pressure the entire time.

Not sure whether to keep going or sharpen at 20 degrees instead.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ooooffff, those look like some snagger serrations right there.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That is one toothy edge.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:23 pm
Well I dunno what I'm gonna do with this Pacific Salt. I noticed the teeth fracturing off once I reached the apex with the diamond rods.

Not very impressed, never seen that happen taking H1 to 15 degrees. I know I've been using light pressure the entire time.

Not sure whether to keep going or sharpen at 20 degrees instead.
What The Fudge??? Frankly I'm aghast at the chunks taken out of some of those teeth. Dunno the coarseness or shape the diamond rod you used was in, but before you go any further, perhaps Sal will take a personal interest and ask you to send it in along with the diamond rod you used for "forensic" evaluation in the interest of science. :astonished :confounded
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I've had a big chip occur on my Pac Salt when I reprofiled to 15° (using fairly new CBN rods).
I didn't take pics and just removed it using brown rods.
Remains to be seen if edge will fracture during use at these angles.
FK

Post by FK »

IMHO the edge fracture as shown in the PM2 Maximet photos and SE photos are from taking a too aggressive cut in the removal. If the diamonds or CuBN cuts to deep,,, it will tear out chunks of steel and cause edge fracture.
The way to solve this is to use a fluid like mineral oil, Norton oil or Trend Diamond Lapping fluid. These reduce the depth of cut and will preserve the life of the diamond plate or rods.

Regards,
FK
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Finally managed to get a good edge on my Native 5 LW in s110v. I had to use a microbevel because i kept introducing micro chipping at the apex. The knife has been sharpened at the initial ~15° edge from 100F to 400F grits of the diamond bonded in resin of the venev whetstones and then a 19° microbevel has been put on it with the fine stone of the Work Sharp field sharpener.

Here's a pic :

I also found my old electronic microscope, but the minimal magnification is a bit too strong, here's a video of me trying to go along the edge :squinting-tongue .

I really need a good magnifier or a microscope with 1080p recording xD if you launch the video on Pc and reduce the window, it's watchable.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Cool video Remonade!
👍
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:25 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Hey, Josh.
It seems to me that Maxamet likes to chip when I try to removed material too quickly, either through the use of excessively coarse stones, or through the use of some cheap stones because I don't want to use my good ones for that purpose. It seems to me that the edge gets buggered up, and I have to fix it with stones that aren't so aggressive. Give something gentler a try.
FK wrote: IMHO the edge fracture as shown in the PM2 Maximet photos and SE photos are from taking a too aggressive cut in the removal. If the diamonds or CuBN cuts to deep,,, it will tear out chunks of steel and cause edge fracture.
The way to solve this is to use a fluid like mineral oil, Norton oil or Trend Diamond Lapping fluid. These reduce the depth of cut and will preserve the life of the diamond plate or rods.

Regards,
FK
I would like to clarify I wasn't having any issues with chipping or fracturing. I was simply stating an observation on how Maxamet burrs form. When I said it was kicking my but it was from the time it was taking not any issues with the apex. I took those pictures after working one side for several minutes with a F400 Venev on an Edge Pro. Once alternating passes where done to remove the burr the apex was crisp and flawless.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wow.

Well, I decided to just keep going at it on the Pacific Salt.

Obviously the entire time I was working on it tonight I was using extra gentle pressure after what happened last session.

I'm not sure what to say. I've taken many different steels to 15 degrees using the exact same method and I've never seen teeth rip out like this.

Maybe it's the knife, maybe it's completely my fault due to an error in my technique. I don't know the cause. All I know is I've never seen this happen before.

I'm going to keep going until I establish a clean bevel. Might turn into CE in the process but oh well. I'll get it hair popping sharp and see if it can cut cardboard without breaking apart at the apex.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Calling it done for now.

Didn't quite establish a clean edge throughout, but I was worried about damaging the apex further.

I spent some time with the medium then fine rods in the 20 degree slots, establishing a solid microbevel. This should help strengthen the edge.

It's extremely sharp and extremely thin. It can catch hairs without touching my skin. It'll be interesting seeing how the edge holds up to use.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:25 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Hey, Josh.
I've particularly noticed that using some of the more coarse diamond stones over the years. But only on certain blade steels. I've personally experienced that on S30V and ZDP-189. However I've never experienced that using any of Spyderco's ceramic stones.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've ordered a DiaSharp diamond benchstone in 600 grit to play a bit with this brand and see how it works. If it is good enough I might take the 1000 or 1200 too. It's almost double the price for the high grits here in France, because more numbers equals to more money :zany
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:43 pm
I've ordered a DiaSharp diamond benchstone in 600 grit to play a bit with this brand and see how it works. If it is good enough I might take the 1000 or 1200 too. It's almost double the price for the high grits here in France, because more numbers equals to more money :zany
If it's good enough at 600, why not keep it there and save your time and money? Give that fairly coarse finish a try.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:15 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:43 pm
If it's good enough at 600, why not keep it there and save your time and money? Give that fairly coarse finish a try.
That's why I ordered only 600, and not too low for my Maxamet, s110v steels. I like to bring steels like s30v or 14c28n to high polish ^^ But i'll definitely try s30v at 600, must deliver another feel for the edge.

soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Used my S30v shaman to cut up cardboard tonight. It's finished on a 320 grit diamond stone. It ate the cardboard and wanted more. Works really well, think I'll stick with it for this knife at least!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Received the DMT stone AND a x30/x60 magnifier. The magnifier is working wonders !
Way better than an actual microscope going x40 to x1600 :eye-roll .

I'll see if i can take a pic through the glass of the magnifier, just need a stand, like a soldering base or smth.

Even when holding knife + magnifier + phone, we can already see stuff.

x30 :

x60 :

FK

Post by FK »

Nice photos, thanks for posting.
Are you free hand sharpening?

Regards,
FK