Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by RustyIron »

The edge on my Endura K390 was getting a little shabby, so it was time to touch it up. I never really know what kind of edge I'm going to put on a blade when I start. I just keep going until I'm done. Some days that might be at 80 grit, and some days I go finer. Yesterday I kept progressing through to my finest diamond matrix stone at 4k, then did some stropping down to .25 micron on nanocloth.

The resulting edge was kinda sharp. You wouldn't want to accidentally touch it. Later, I decided to put it under the scope, and the attached picture is what I got. The image is interesting to me because it shows a couple things. First, the corrosion spots. K390 seems to discolor quite a bit. That's ok, as I work with tool steel in other applications, and I like patina.

Next, I'm happy with the straightness of the edge... there aren't many chips. This blade doesn't seem to chip as much as other materials. When I sharpen, my goal isn't to take out all the chips at the edge. The edge isn't as sharp, but sometimes it seems pointless to just grind away on a blade that's just going to get banged up again in a day or two. The K390 is pretty good in this regard.

The smoothness of the flat surface seems pretty good. There are a couple scratches where I didn't spend a lot of time working them out. But that's ok. The interesting scratches are the couple that are longitudinal. That must have been from wiping the blade with a paper towel. One microscopic particle created the most obvious scratch on the edge. That's why it's a bad idea to clean your Maui Jims with paper towels.
Photo on 9-16-21 at 10.08 PM 2.jpg
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:34 pm
The edge on my Endura K390 was getting a little shabby, so it was time to touch it up. I never really know what kind of edge I'm going to put on a blade when I start. I just keep going until I'm done. Some days that might be at 80 grit, and some days I go finer. Yesterday I kept progressing through to my finest diamond matrix stone at 4k, then did some stropping down to .25 micron on nanocloth.

The resulting edge was kinda sharp. You wouldn't want to accidentally touch it. Later, I decided to put it under the scope, and the attached picture is what I got. The image is interesting to me because it shows a couple things. First, the corrosion spots. K390 seems to discolor quite a bit. That's ok, as I work with tool steel in other applications, and I like patina.

Next, I'm happy with the straightness of the edge... there aren't many chips. This blade doesn't seem to chip as much as other materials. When I sharpen, my goal isn't to take out all the chips at the edge. The edge isn't as sharp, but sometimes it seems pointless to just grind away on a blade that's just going to get banged up again in a day or two. The K390 is pretty good in this regard.

The smoothness of the flat surface seems pretty good. There are a couple scratches where I didn't spend a lot of time working them out. But that's ok. The interesting scratches are the couple that are longitudinal. That must have been from wiping the blade with a paper towel. One microscopic particle created the most obvious scratch on the edge. That's why it's a bad idea to clean your Maui Jims with paper towels.

Photo on 9-16-21 at 10.08 PM 2.jpg

Nice work! That looks like a crisp clean apex. I've certainly noticed the tendency to patina on my K390, but interestingly I haven't noticed much dulling due to corrosion. If I leave an M4 blade un-oiled for a week or two, I need to strop it back to life before I use it again. This does not seem to be the case with my two K390 blades. It really is an awesome steel and I like the smoky blue haze it develops over time.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Looks like a pretty nice edge to me!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

G10 Police 4 reprofiled on coarse DMT (15°?)stropped on leather 5 micron, then 3 micron. Very aggressive and toothy
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Ugh! Dreaded double post!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Cycletroll wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:20 pm
That's very nice and toothy! What grit did you go with on that DMT stone?

-Rick
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:56 pm
Cycletroll wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:20 pm
That's very nice and toothy! What grit did you go with on that DMT stone?
Blue DMT Diafold. I belive its 325grit?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

For those of us following along with the Work Sharp Precision Adjust, the upgrade kit is slated to retail for $79 - $20 more than the standalone unit. I'll still probably buy it, but I'm a bit surprised at the price.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yojumbo reprofiled to 15dps on a sharpmaker using the diamond rods. Stropped twice per side with 7 micron diamond paste.

My favorite thing about strops is using them to check for burrs. First two times I tried going to the strop one side scraped off more compound than the other, showing me there was a burr my eyes or fingers couldn't detect.

I tried deburring off the stones three times before I was happy with the edge. Came off the strop clean with minimal compound on either side.

Extremely toothy but also hair popping sharp. One of my cleaner edges off the diamond rods.

Gonna be fun cutting with this one.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:15 am

For those of us following along with the Work Sharp Precision Adjust, the upgrade kit is slated to retail for $79 - $20 more than the standalone unit. I'll still probably buy it, but I'm a bit surprised at the price.
Thanks for posting that Ken, I was hoping to see some more info on this besides that teaser clip from WorkSharp. That is pricey, but like you...I'll also be buying this. I was free handing my 4V Shaman while watching football one night last week and I guess I was watching more football than paying attention to my sharpening angle. Threw it on my Precision Adjust the other day and fixed that side to perfection! Very excited for that 220 and 400 grit. I'll definitely be finishing some knives on both and give that strop a try!

-Rick
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I'm waiting on gritomatic to get their stone holder back in stock for the precision adjust. It allows use of other stones, I think they have options for 4" and 6". I applaud worksharp for getting this kit out there, and I think it will be a great addition (I was pushing for a more coarse stone option), but having the wider stones will be even better, imo.

https://www.gritomatic.com/products/4-i ... ion-adjust

I would only be using it to set bevels, and then freehand from there.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This lil guy had a lot of use the past 2 days and was quite dull after today. All I've ever done was touch up this knife, so tonight I decided to bring up some fresh steel. I've always read that Vtoku2 was an easy steel to sharpen...and WOW, ain't that the truth!

I knew this knife was in the 18-19dps range from previous touch ups. Decided to bring out the CBN rods and custom Sharpmaker base from my buddy Pat and go to work on the 35 degree setting. Took me all of 20 minutes on the flats to get a hair popping edge off the CBN stones alone!

I love me a coarse edge, but have to ask...is there an ideal finish for this steel? Don't see much about it!

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Tenacious lw S35VN 17 dps with kme 140 grit diamond on the KME. Still trying to get the hang of taking a picture with my phone on top of a crappy loupe. Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

325 grit edge on my R&B zome 20CV Endela

u.w.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

IMG_20210921_092610_828.jpg
S90v military taken to the 800 side of the spyderco cbn benchstone. I still have my hopes we see a sprint of the millie in the next reveal.
Attachments
IMG_20210921_092610_839.jpg
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Last night I went through my entire collection and pulled any knife that didn't feel freshly sharpened. Also pulled any knife with a rough pivot, blade play, loose clip etc.

I had some knives I hadn't been carrying because the pivots were rough and gritty. Others that weren't being carried because the edge was pretty dull. Others that had too thick of a microbevel and needed the edge reset.

Addressed issues in 18 different knives.

Got 15 of them knocked out in a little over an hour last night, and had 3 to finish up tonight.

Last nights maintenance:

Street Bowie - Dull edge - touched up on a 180 grit diamond stone until it shaved.

Aqua Salt - Dull edge - touched up on a 180 grit diamond stone until it shaved.

Ronin 2 - Slightly dull - touched up on the 180 grit stone, minimized the burr, then gave it one stroke per side on the medium stone.

Perrin Baby Bowie - Slightly dull. One of the few knives I keep with a polished apex. 10 strokes per side on the fine white rods. Laser.

Street Beat - Microbevel wasn't so micro, edge wasn't too sharp. 50 strokes per side on the 180 grit stone completely reset the edge. 10 feather light strokes on my 260 grit diamond stone gave it an aggressive, toothy edge that will not slip off materials being cut like the thicker, more polished edge I ground off. Best edge this street beat has ever had applied.

PE H1 Pacific Salt - Dulled edge. Carried frequently on the job, the edge had been dulled after repeated contact with bone. Still cut ok, but could be better. 10 strokes per side on the 180 grit stone gave it an aggressive, hair popping sharp edge so I didn't follow up past that.

M4 Native Chief - side to side play and a not so great edge. Tightened up the pivot and gave it loc-tite. Edge is still a factory angled bevel I've been touching up at 20 degrees on the sharpmaker. I'll reprofile it another day - for now 20 strokes per side on the white rods got it sharp enough to send hairs flying without touching my skin.

Police 3 PE - Just needed touched up. Another knife I keep polished. It got 10 strokes per side on the fine rods.

Police 4 K390 / Pakkawood - Dull. Completely ground off the microbevel on the 180 grit, then refined the bevel up to 260 grit. Nothing beyond that. Very toothy and aggressive shaving sharp edge. Based on experience this should be the last time I sharpen this knife in 2021 - K390 holds toothy edges extremely long.

G10 PE Resilience - A bit dull. Did about 8-10 strokes per side on the 180 grit stone, then one stroke per side on the medium sharpmaker rods. Spydercos 8Cr takes an extremely aggressive edge for me - it's a pleasure to sharpen.

FRN CE Resilience - Bevels needed work. When I reprofile this one last week there was a small part in the belly that wasn't completely apexed. Finished it up on the 180 grit stone, deburred as best I could, then gave the entire edge two strokes per side on the corner of the white rods. I've got highly polished serrations that push cut or slice with ease, and a toothy / polished PE portion that does the same. Extremely versatile edge.

DLC Military - Just needed a touch-up. Apex was quite toothy but slightly dull - one stroke per side on the brown rods at 20 degrees got it much sharper without grinding out the microserrations.

SE H1 Pacific Salt 2 - Needed a touch-up. 5 strokes per side on the white rods got it back to cleanly shaving. This is my most used Pacific 2 so the serrations are fairly rounded off, so I can check this one for shaving sharpness easily.

Modded Manix XL S30V - Needed a touch up. 10 strokes per side on the medium rods got it right.

Manix XL M4 DLC - Needed lots of love. Have a good bevel set but had been sharpened repeatedly at 20 degrees since. Apex was dull, overly polished, and too thick. Ground it on the 180 grit plate until there was no trace of a microbevel. Apexed with feather light strokes on the same stone, then followed up with one stroke per side on the fine rod corners. Polished enough to send hairs flying without touching my skin but very jagged and rough feeling apex if I run my nail along it. Excited to put this edge to work, it turned out really good.

Yojumbo DLC - Needed touched up. Originally sharpened it to 15 degrees on the sharpmaker diamond rods then stropped. This time used my 180 grit plate as it leavesa more aggressive edge than the sharpmaker rods, though the latter is likely just worn from use. Followed up with one stroke per side on the white rods. Very toothy and aggressive edge - love how this knife cuts with that sort of finish.

Todays maintenance:

Native Chief Rex45 - Oh man....rough pivot, tons of play, dull edge. First I reset the edge on the 180 grit stone then followed up with one stroke per side on the medium rods. Very toothy and aggressive while also cleanly shaving. Then I stripped it down, soaked everything in rubbing alcohol, and scrubbed every part. Put it back together dry, then once assembled put one generous drop of mineral oil into the pivot and worked the blade back and forth.

Police 4 K390 FRN - Never did put a good bevel on this one. Got it 90% of the way there but there's still a hint of microbevel on the show side to grind off. Once the apex is reset I plan to put a high polish on this one to contrast with the toothy pakkawood Police.

SE LC200N Pacific Salt - Basically haven't ever carried this one because the SE was so spikey it snagged on anything I've ever cut with it. I'm about 80% done taking it down to 15 degrees on the diamond rods and rounding out the serration pattern in the process. I plan to give it a lot of pocket time once I get a good edge on it.

Normally I like carrying the same knife day to day. Carried the Yojumbo from the day I got it to the day I got my CE Resilience, then carried the Resilience every day since.

But man, going through all these nice knives sure made me feel guilty for not carrying some of them more often. Rocked the K390/pakkawood Police this morning, cut a few things with the M4 Manix this afternoon, and have been carrying thr Rex45 Chief all evening :open-grin
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Once you've gotten the spikes on your LC200N SE Pac Salt toned down, it would be interesting to hear your comparison to an H1 SE Pac Salt.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Holy smokes vivi- that’s quite a day’s work. I need to do something similar soon- I rotate most days and nothing is feeling crazy sharp at the moment. Well done!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea man, that's some work right there. Then to top it off, making this detailed post about it.

I do thank you for all your work and help over the years when it comes to sharpening. I've received some great pointers over the years from many of our awesome members here, you've just always been extremely detailed and that is very valuable from someone that knows what their doing! Also convincing me to try different methods and finishes. That's changed everything for the better in my warehouse environment.

Pretty cool that these days, a lot of guys at work come to me to sharpen their knives. I like that little feeling of pressure to impress them, and their yet to be disappointed. Never saw that coming a few years ago! One of the guys I've even converted to preferring a coarse finish as well!

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:47 pm
Once you've gotten the spikes on your LC200N SE Pac Salt toned down, it would be interesting to hear your comparison to an H1 SE Pac Salt.
I'll keep ya posted

Still got a decent bit of factory edge to grind off.