Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:36 pm
Hmm, that's odd how the bevel turned out a bit wonky like that. I've done a chef's knife, Z Cut, various folders and a couple fixed blades without any issue. I'm puzzled how that happened!
A reddit user figured this one out for me.
I'm with @ojuiceblue on this one, the issue towards the heel is either a uneven primary grind, or it would be fixed with a sharpening choil.

If you look at the very end of the cutting edge you can see where you ground into the ricasso, or plunge line, the slope down from the flat bar stock to the final edge. Once you ground through that, you were probably fine from that point on (which is why you ended up with a good straight cutting edge), but before that, your stone was sitting at an angle and riding on its edges...and i would bet that wide spot is the width of the stone away from the heel.
He was totally right.

In other news, I successfully Sharpened my 8" Chef's knife and 7" Santoku today with the same progression at 20°, and am very, very happy with the results.

Still have to practice my freestanding paper slicing technique ;) , but this is definitely the sharpest I've ever gotten a knife. Stoked!
Last edited by kennethsime on Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:30 pm
I just looked up some info. It sounds like you can't go below 15 degrees. Am I missing something, or would that be a limiting weakness?
cabfrank wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:51 pm
Maybe not...
Not sure.
Interesting sharpener though, for not a lot of money, to complement the Sharpmaker.
Yea, it goes between 15° and 30° in 1° increments. You might be able to hit 14°if you max out the angle selector, but 15° is the lowest labeled angle.

It's definitely not a perfect system, but it is a **** of a value. You're 90% of the way to a system like a KME for 30% of the cost. Long-term I'd def still like to pick up a KME for the extensive abrasive selection, the precision, and the convex rod, but this will definitely get me by for now. No regrets about purchasing.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Badger410 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:25 pm
Draw a line from tip to cutting edge at plunge line and keep that line parallel with the front edge of the clamp jaws.

Try clamping the blade in the middle of the cutting edge.

To avoid rounding the tip don't take the centreline of the stone past the tip.

HTH
Thanks for the tips Badger!

I did try clamping at an angle, but the unique blade clamp of the work sharp seems to prevent it with heavier knives. In order to get a solid purchase on the two knives I sharpened today, I felt like I had to clamp the knife parallel rather than at an angle. Maybe I'll try that with a lighter weight knife. Clamping in the middle of the blade did definitely help get a nice even edge.

SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've been free-handing lately and I'm liking the results better than my KME or Sharpmaker. I'm using DMT diamonds in a progression from 325 mesh through 8000 mesh. Easier and faster than setting up a guided system, relaxing and worry free. I honestly regret buying the KME as it is pretty expensive and I never really use it anymore.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

You could probably sell it on the spydercoswap.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:30 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:36 pm
Hmm, that's odd how the bevel turned out a bit wonky like that. I've done a chef's knife, Z Cut, various folders and a couple fixed blades without any issue. I'm puzzled how that happened!
A reddit user figured this one out for me.
I'm with @ojuiceblue on this one, the issue towards the heel is either a uneven primary grind, or it would be fixed with a sharpening choil.

If you look at the very end of the cutting edge you can see where you ground into the ricasso, or plunge line, the slope down from the flat bar stock to the final edge. Once you ground through that, you were probably fine from that point on (which is why you ended up with a good straight cutting edge), but before that, your stone was sitting at an angle and riding on its edges...and i would bet that wide spot is the width of the stone away from the heel.
He was totally right.

In other news, I successfully Sharpened my 8" Chef's knife and 7" Santoku today with the same progression at 20°, and am very, very happy with the results.

Still have to practice my freestanding paper slicing technique ;) , but this is definitely the sharpest I've ever gotten a knife. Stoked!
Good to know, glad that's what the problem was. Easy fix!! Definitely hard not to like this little thing for the price.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20210825-225156_Gallery.jpg
So i bumped into several staples with no damage on this M398 custom. Edge life was in the ballpark of my s90v military. When i sharpened it, the stone of choice i used was the veneev dog bone stone i carry in my boot. That stone is about the size of a kit kat bar btw. Recognize this is a full custom so the heat treat should be dialed in, and it has. Deburred effortlessly, and took a great edge. Anyone familiar with Shawns work recognizes how invisible his edge bevels are. Gritomatic listed the stone grits as 150 and 400 for this particular stone. And i dont think the entire process went past 2 minutes. On my bess tester i got 100 grams when done, 545 when dull. Overall i enjoyed this steel more than i thought i would.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nicely done, interesting blade too.

-Rick
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Reprofile on the Native 5 salt today, after thinking about it for weeks.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Nice! What did you use?

This poor dude....
https://www.reddit.com/r/Knife_Swap/com ... erco_salt/
Look how they massacred my boy
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:44 am
This poor dude....
https://www.reddit.com/r/Knife_Swap/com ... erco_salt/
Look how they massacred my boy
Holy toothpick batman! That couldn't have been worse if he tried.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Oh my! That's why I've learned to sharpen myself. Had a friend help me out when I was getting started with sharpening a few years ago. Round the tips on my FRN Chap and Delica Pakkawood. After that I was devoted to get better at sharpening myself!

Thankfully that knife isn't a $200+ knife that needs to be replaced.

-Rick
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

What a shame, it looks absolutely terrible. I am considering that model for my next purchase, but that one is ruined.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, I was all excited to test the Workshop on my SAKs, but it turns out they are in fact too small to sharpen at 15°on the Work Sharp. I could not for the life of me figure it out. So I broke out the sharpmaker, did my 20 strokes per station (ends, flats, ends flats), and all four blades were sharp as scalpels. Sometimes simple is better.

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The smaller the knife that harder to sharpen for me. I'm slowly getting the hang of kitchen knives, but the tiny 58mm victorinox are frustrating. Can't tell if I'm hitting the bevel and I feel like it's easier to be off by a few degrees and the stock blade angles feel a bit steep.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:21 pm

See the small, crescent- or hill-shaped bit of original factory edge at the heel, a few mm from the plunge line? Where the light catches it? I am getting that a lot with the Spyderco factory edges. I usually just leave it be (as Tko did in this photo), since I don't want to remove enough metal to be rid of it. But I wonder what the deal is with so many Spyderco blades having this "steepening" at the heel that leads to a steeper, mound-shaped area that isn't sharpened with the rest of my edge (until many sharpenings later).

When I cut plastic wrap, it inevitably gathers right around this spot at the heel that isn't as sharp as the rest of the blade. D'oh!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

First reprofile of K390 on the Edge Pro to 13 dps. Very quick stock removal with CKTG diamond stones (140 and 400, and finished on the EP 320 waterstone). I was expecting more of a fight, but this effort was similar to S30V.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Great looking edge Hans

u.w.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Took my PE H1 Pacific slightly thinner. First time I've gotten a hair popping sharp edge right off this 200 grit diamond stone.

This time I did two feather light strokes per side at a slightly more obtuse angle on the 200 grit stone instead of doing the same thing on medium sharpmaker rods or a strop.

These all got the opposite - fine rods from the sharpmaker.

The two serrated Pacifics are both shaving sharp. Easily push cut receipt paper. I think a high polish works well with SE.

The LC200N Pacific has a very polished microbevel. It's fun having a high polish PE Pacific and a very coarse PE Pacific to choose from.

The waved Pacific also has a high polish edge. Came with one from the factory, and I gave it a few licks to make it a bit sharper. One day I'll give it a 200 grit edge.
:unicorn
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharpened all my kitchen knives today... It's a task that I often forget about. I generally just steel them. Wish I had a few lbs of onions so i could test them out lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb