Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MFlovejp

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by MFlovejp »

You did some very neat work on that chip, can’t hardly tell it was ever damaged!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Restored the edge on my K390 Pm2, my favorite EDC knife.

What's interesting is that without a laser goniometer it would be difficult to see the two bevels on the edge. A 12.5dps back bevel with a 14dps bevel at the apex

You can see in the video you wouldn't notice without magnification or a goniometer.

Edge is sharp AF, just thought it was fun to share how geometry can be hidden.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Finally got around to hogging off a bit of steel on the 52100 Manix. This is the first Spyderco knife I've reprofiled free hand (normally use the CBN stones/Sharpmaker) Time to take off the training wheels! I've worked on a couple other knives with my DMT Extra Coarse/Coarse stone for practice before trying it on my better knives. I'm pretty happy with the results!

I took it down just a couple degrees, no idea how much. It was a relatively easy steel to work with, got in a nice groove and went to work. Very even, only slipped up a little bit near the tip as you can see and scratched the DLC. Once I was able to clean the apex and scrape shave my arm off the extra coarse side, I switched to the coarse side of the stone and gave it 50 passes. After that I went to the brown Sharpmaker rod held in hand and gave it 25 passes, then a few passes on the KnivesPlus green strop and it's quite sharp! As you can see I left it pretty coarse. I believe I've read this steel works well with a coarse finish, so I'll give it a whirl.

Resized_20210121_082536(1).jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:40 am

Restored the edge on my K390 Pm2, my favorite EDC knife.

What's interesting is that without a laser goniometer it would be difficult to see the two bevels on the edge. A 12.5dps back bevel with a 14dps bevel at the apex

You can see in the video you wouldn't notice without magnification or a goniometer.

Edge is sharp AF, just thought it was fun to share how geometry can be hidden.
That's not too far off from the angles I run on my Police. K390 is such a great steel. Even on my FRN Police in K390 with the factory edge I've been impressed. Usually factory edge angles show fairly bad edge retention for me VS my thinner hand ground edges, but the K390 blade is something else.

I'm 100% on board this hype train.
:unicorn
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

So, I used a Sharpmaker to sharpen a pizza cutter tonight. The cutter was the standard wheel type and it came with my apartment. Thing was as dull as snail Olympics and made of some godforsaken industrial stainless steel. I noticed a few burred sections and rolls on the beveled side of the wheel as well (it’s a single bevel.)

So, I went to work with the brown stones set on the flat and just advanced the wheel a quarter turn per stoke until I’d smoothed out the bevel. Did a quick pass on the back side to eliminate burr and it was like magic- the sharpest pizza slices I’ve ever made. Thanks Spyderco!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Coming from a former darksider, you guys are nuts! :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

Put a fresh edge on my Street Beat.

180 grit plate until there was no microbevel, then 8 strokes per side on a medium Spyderco stone at about 15 degrees per side, finished with two strokes per side with my 40 micron strop. Sharpest its ever been, it'll be fun putting it to use tomorrow.

Trying out a new paracord setup too.

This lets me carry horizontal, vertical or pocket carry comfortably.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

IMG_20210211_132438_579.jpg
I'm a little late to the zdp 189 party so I'm playing around with edge finish and progressions. 800 cbn spyderco stone, sharpmaker Rod ceramics done freehand.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:32 pm

I'm a little late to the zdp 189 party so I'm playing around with edge finish and progressions. 800 cbn spyderco stone, sharpmaker Rod ceramics done freehand.
Nice work. :)

So how are you liking that edge finish and ZDP-189 in use?
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:20 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:32 pm

Nice work. :)

So how are you liking that edge finish and ZDP-189 in use?
I'm currently rotating thru many different knives and steels right now. I have rex45, s45vn, and a skinny modded manix in m390 to go thru first before I get back to this zdp endura. I really enjoyed the performance from the last edge which was King neo and a spyderco fine Rod. This sharpening with the cbn stone felt like the Burr just hung on for longer than it should. I don't think I will use this progression next time. I own many Stones so I have options at my fingertips. I think finishing zdp on the gritomatic silicon carbide 1500 stone is the sweet spot for me atleast. Worked awesome on hap40 for me.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Interesting. I didn't own CBN media when I owned ZDP knives, but I remember being impressed at how little it wanted to burr. I sharpened it using either a DMT fine or the sharpmakers white rods, depending on the finish I desired.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:30 pm
I'm currently rotating thru many different knives and steels right now. I have rex45, s45vn, and a skinny modded manix in m390 to go thru first before I get back to this zdp endura. I really enjoyed the performance from the last edge which was King neo and a spyderco fine Rod. This sharpening with the cbn stone felt like the Burr just hung on for longer than it should. I don't think I will use this progression next time. I own many Stones so I have options at my fingertips. I think finishing zdp on the gritomatic silicon carbide 1500 stone is the sweet spot for me atleast. Worked awesome on hap40 for me.
Cool. I wonder how the edge would perform with a few light deburring and finishing passes at a higher angle, straight off the 800 CBN stone?

That’s interesting about the 1500 SiC Gritomatic.

I’ve been trying out the 120 grit SiC Gritomatic for stock removal lately. It’s a bit quicker than the Atoma 140. I have the Gritomatic 400 grit SiC stone too, but haven’t played with it much yet.

I recently went back to using my ZDP-189 Dragonfly at work, over the K390 one, as this hot, wet summer in south east Australia has been brutal for corroding tool steels and carbon steels. I’ve even been getting rust spots on S30V.

I really enjoy ZDP-189. It’s my go-to knife steel in the high carbide stainlesses. Ok, semi stainlesses. :rolleyes: Well, it’s generally stainless enough for my purposes with a higher polish on it. ;) :)

I’m running a 10 dps backbevel with a 20 dps microbevel on my Dragonfly. Makes for very quick resharpening on the brown Sharpmaker rods, or one of the Venev OCB stones - usually the 800/1200. :)
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:53 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:30 pm
Cool. I wonder how the edge would perform with a few light deburring and finishing passes at a higher angle, straight off the 800 CBN stone?

That’s interesting about the 1500 SiC Gritomatic.

I’ve been trying out the 120 grit SiC Gritomatic for stock removal lately. It’s a bit quicker than the Atoma 140. I have the Gritomatic 400 grit SiC stone too, but haven’t played with it much yet.

I recently went back to using my ZDP-189 Dragonfly at work, over the K390 one, as this hot, wet summer in south east Australia has been brutal for corroding tool steels and carbon steels. I’ve even been getting rust spots on S30V.

I really enjoy ZDP-189. It’s my go-to knife steel in the high carbide stainlesses. Ok, semi stainlesses. :rolleyes: Well, it’s generally stainless enough for my purposes with a higher polish on it. ;) :)

I’m running a 10 dps backbevel with a 20 dps microbevel on my Dragonfly. Makes for very quick resharpening on the brown Sharpmaker rods, or one of the Venev OCB stones - usually the 800/1200. :)
I freehand so I dunno what angle this is set at. I'm sure I can find out but honest guess is probably 13 degrees per side. I don't use microbevels on my knives but for other ppl on occasion. Sharpening sessions for me atleast is about 5 or 6 minutes anyways. Longer if I'm using Arkansas Stones or a 5 stone progression. I own the resin bond veneev Stones and I do like the 800/1200 stone on 10V and k390. The coarse Stones in that set don't tickle my pickle. I've really been enjoying the King neo stone a lot. 800 grit silicon carbide splash and go stone from big brown bear. Covers all the bases for a medium grit stone imo. Zdp would be fine just with that stone alone, but I'm trying out higher polishes to see how the edge holds up. 1500 I think is a good blend of bite and polish which is desireable for the endura blade length. Dragonfly I'd go higher for more push cutting but that's me. I've only had Rust issues on s30v and maxamet so far. Those lc200n pac salt knives in the incredible hulk green could be a good option for the summer heat.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:00 pm
I freehand so I dunno what angle this is set at. I'm sure I can find out but honest guess is probably 13 degrees per side. I don't use microbevels on my knives but for other ppl on occasion. Sharpening sessions for me atleast is about 5 or 6 minutes anyways. Longer if I'm using Arkansas Stones or a 5 stone progression. I own the resin bond veneev Stones and I do like the 800/1200 stone on 10V and k390. The coarse Stones in that set don't tickle my pickle. I've really been enjoying the King neo stone a lot. 800 grit silicon carbide splash and go stone from big brown bear. Covers all the bases for a medium grit stone imo. Zdp would be fine just with that stone alone, but I'm trying out higher polishes to see how the edge holds up. 1500 I think is a good blend of bite and polish which is desireable for the endura blade length. Dragonfly I'd go higher for more push cutting but that's me. I've only had Rust issues on s30v and maxamet so far. Those lc200n pac salt knives in the incredible hulk green could be a good option for the summer heat.
Thanks for the tip on the King Neo - I just read BBB’s post on it over on BF. It may be similar to the Sigma Power stones, which I believe are SiC abrasive too, although probably with a harder binder. It sounds interesting, and I’ll probably check it out at some stage, although I do already have a set (400, 1000, 3000) of Naniwa Choseras.

Yeah I agree on the coarser Venev resin bonded stones. I got a 80/150 grit 6” x 1” stone to play with, but I think I like the way the Atomas allow swarf to be flushed away better, for a coarse stone.

Yeah, the only reason I can quote exact angles on my edges now is I got one of those Gritomatic goniometers. It’s a nice piece of kit to play with for edge junkies.

Yeah, I prioritise push cutting in the DF2, but I also use it for draw cutting cardboards and plastics, so I use a combination of medium coarse edges, and sometimes a bit of stropping refinement or a few finishing passes on the UF rods or benchstone.

The Venev FEPA-F scale 1200 is about the same as JIS/ASTM 2000 grit abrasive size, IIRC.

You’re right about the LC200N Pac Salt 2. The SE version is exactly what I’ve been using along with the ZDP-189 DF2. It’s in my pocket right now actually!
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:24 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:00 pm
Thanks for the tip on the King Neo - I just read BBB’s post on it over on BF. It may be similar to the Sigma Power stones, which I believe are SiC abrasive too, although probably with a harder binder. It sounds interesting, and I’ll probably check it out at some stage, although I do already have a set (400, 1000, 3000) of Naniwa Choseras.

Yeah I agree on the coarser Venev resin bonded stones. I got a 80/150 grit 6” x 1” stone to play with, but I think I like the way the Atomas allow swarf to be flushed away better, for a coarse stone.

Yeah, the only reason I can quote exact angles on my edges now is I got one of those Gritomatic goniometers. It’s a nice piece of kit to play with for edge junkies.

Yeah, I prioritise push cutting in the DF2, but I also use it for draw cutting cardboards and plastics, so I use a combination of medium coarse edges, and sometimes a bit of stropping refinement or a few finishing passes on the UF rods or benchstone.

The Venev FEPA-F scale 1200 is about the same as JIS/ASTM 2000 grit abrasive size, IIRC.

You’re right about the LC200N Pac Salt 2. The SE version is exactly what I’ve been using along with the ZDP-189 DF2. It’s in my pocket right now actually!
I haven't had any lc200n Cross my path just yet. I've heard good things about it tho. Lately I've been carrying a razor blade along with a dedicated folder as my edc. It's winter time over here so I have it attached via lanyard on my jacket zipper. Right now rex45 occupies my pocket in the form of the para 3.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ground the edge on a 180 grit diamond plate until the microbevel was gone, then gave it two strokes per side at 15 degrees with the corners of the white sharpmaker rods. Refined the edge a lot without removing all the teeth from the 180 grit plate.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That whole knife is going to be a bevel soon haha! Looks fun though!

-Rick
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Finally got around to reprofiling my Police 4 LW. 140 grit diamond, 300 grit diamond at 13 DPS on the KME. Finished on the Sharpmaker brown stone corners, 3 strokes per side and white corners 3 strokes per side- 30 degree slots. Cutting very nicely!

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Looks nice and even! Such a great feeling of success when it works out. Nothing beats some fresh steel :cool:

-Rick
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:47 pm
Looks nice and even! Such a great feeling of success when it works out. Nothing beats some fresh steel :cool:

Thanks. I especially love doing that first reprofile, because now all touch ups and sharpenings will be so easy and consistent.