Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by Ramonade »

I did it again, writing a big message with pictures and all. Then ? Oh, then I close the internet browser to go do something in the house and come back to nothing ! :')

I reprofiled an Altantic Salt PE with a really rounded up tip. I didn't retrieve the full tip yet as it would remove the equivalent of 10 more sharpenings to do so. I might just regrind the spine. Rather lose 0.5mm of edge !

Also rose the angle of my 14 dps N5 LC200N to 16dps and only went to F240 with 2 passes on 3 micron gunny juice. It is A-ggre-ssive.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
vivi

Post by vivi »

M4 Chief. 300 grit diamond stone until it cleanly shaved then one stroke per side at 15 degrees on ultrafine rod corners.

:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'd like to use that Chief!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20221217-175822_Gallery.jpg
Set a new apex on my 15V manix about an hour ago. Very nice steel to work with.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Nice work. I think I may reprofile mine on my next days off. Interested to see how it goes.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:06 am
M4 Chief. 300 grit diamond stone until it cleanly shaved then one stroke per side at 15 degrees on ultrafine rod corners.

Was the 300 grit edge also at 15 degrees (or was the UF rods setting a micro-bevel)? I'll bet that egde lasts months. After reading more on Science of Sharp's articles on stropping, I'm coming to realize that lighter passes and less passes are probably the way to go when either micro-beveling or stropping. Thanks for sharing!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:11 pm
vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:06 am

Was the 300 grit edge also at 15 degrees (or was the UF rods setting a micro-bevel)? I'll bet that egde lasts months. After reading more on Science of Sharp's articles on stropping, I'm coming to realize that lighter passes and less passes are probably the way to go when either micro-beveling or stropping. Thanks for sharing!
The edge was sharpened to under 15 degrees so the UF rod strokes were just hitting the apex.

I think polishing an entire bevel is a waste of time. The past few days I've been carrying this knife:

The edge looks really coarse, right? Well the apex was taken to 8,000 grit and easily whittles individual hairs.

By setting a thin bevel then taking only the apex to a high polish I significantly reduce how much time such a high polish edge requires.

(This is an old picture and the apex was much coarser than it is today)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Not to be exclusive to Vivi, but I do hope Vivi sees this question:

As I understand Vivi's sharpening method (vastly simplified for discussion), it's to work up to a medium-ish stone to set a toothy edge and then a bit of high polish strop or stone to finish. Giving you the best of two worlds: aggressive little micro-teeth, with a fine hone on the tips of the teeth that probably also aligns them and micro-bevels them a bit.

Has it been tried, just for the sake of science, to invert the process: take the edge to a high mirror polish and then, when the edge is as keen as can be, hit it with a single light swipe of a medium stone on each side? Obviously this would be grossly inefficient in comparison, and not for the faint of heart (who wants to scrape across that mirror edge??) but I'm just curious what the result would be...similar in terms of cutting? Would we still be getting the benefits of the tooth-polish combo?

And a second question if I can get it in on an edit: How do "Vivi edges" look on BESS testing? I would imagine they'd cut a lot better than the BESS score would indicate, since BESS would seem a measure of pure push cutting.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I do the polished bevel with a coarser grit apex on my SpydieChef.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:28 pm
Not to be exclusive to Vivi, but I do hope Vivi sees this question:

As I understand Vivi's sharpening method (vastly simplified for discussion), it's to work up to a medium-ish stone to set a toothy edge and then a bit of high polish strop or stone to finish. Giving you the best of two worlds: aggressive little micro-teeth, with a fine hone on the tips of the teeth that probably also aligns them and micro-bevels them a bit.

Has it been tried, just for the sake of science, to invert the process: take the edge to a high mirror polish and then, when the edge is as keen as can be, hit it with a single light swipe of a medium stone on each side? Obviously this would be grossly inefficient in comparison, and not for the faint of heart (who wants to scrape across that mirror edge??) but I'm just curious what the result would be...similar in terms of cutting? Would we still be getting the benefits of the tooth-polish combo?

And a second question if I can get it in on an edit: How do "Vivi edges" look on BESS testing? I would imagine they'd cut a lot better than the BESS score would indicate, since BESS would seem a measure of pure push cutting.
I have not tried my style of edges in reverse but in my mind I would imagine the results wouldn't be as good. I happen to have a 5,000 grit edged Pacific Salt I could "strop" on a coarse stone and play around with though.

For clarity, my pocket knife edges are typically set to around 10 degrees per side on a super coarse stone, then I polish the full bevel up to 200-300 grit. From there I usually do one stroke per side at around 12 degrees per side on a very fine stone like the Spyderco ultrafine.

What I find is this polishes the peaks of the microserrations enough for a clean shaving edge, but I can still run my fingernail down the apex and experience a rough, gritty feeling edge because the valleys haven't been polished out.

I do find edges right off the coarse stones have the best raw edge holding, but the slight polishing gives the knife more versatility in use.

The BESS test and those sharpness testers where we measure grams of force to push cut a thread don't tell the full story with coarse edges.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

SpydieChef 12 dps polished bevel. 15 dps 600 grit micro bevel. I find it works well for me while slicing flesh and skinning game.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

^ Many thanks. Will continue to monitor this thread to learn more!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, that was a bear.

I haven’t been happy with the edge on my PITS since I bought it - just seemed very thick behind the edge. I tried taking it down to 15°PS with the CBN rods the other night, but it was just taking too darn long.

Put it on the WorkSharp today and got the job done in about an hour. The edge isn’t particularly pretty, and the bevel is uneven at both the heel and the absolute tip, but boy howdy is it sharp.

Going to just touch it up on the Sharpmaker from here, now that the edge is thinned out a bit.
Last edited by kennethsime on Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Caly 3's... Old knives but recent photos for comparison.

- ZDP has a 13 dps bevel and 15 dps micro
- Superblue is convexed to under 10 dps, with a 15 dps micro. Pretty much an appleseed profile.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Those look nice!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Strauss95

Post by Strauss95 »

That Superblue Caly looks like it cuts!! Very nice work on both knives!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I can only imagine how well those cut and slice.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:06 pm
- Superblue is convexed to under 10 dps, with a 15 dps micro. Pretty much an appleseed profile.
Are you taking commissions yet? ;)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Reprofiled my first knife tonight—a Chap Sun and Moon. Took it down to 15dps on the EP using the stock stones. The 120 SiC shouldered most of the load, but the once the bevels were set I shot for ten strokes per side and took the progression up to 600 grit. Ended up closer to fifteen to thirty strokes on the 400 and 600 because I had to even out a few previous scratches that I missed, also got distracted once and lost count. From there I finished free hand on a leather strop with 1micron diamond paste. I know it’s fairly routine in the longer run, but this has me pretty excited. Can’t wait to repro my PM2 when the diamond matrix stones arrive!
vivi

Post by vivi »

200 grit diamond stone followed by an ultrafine rod micro bevel.