Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackh

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by jackh »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:16 am

I also picked up the 12K kuromaku, obtained the other glass stones in grits as described before already and have a super grit progression project in mind using all of them.
Do you use any magnification to look at the edges? I've used 10x, and 30x loupes and they are helpful in seeing exactly what effect a given stone has on an edge regarding scratch pattern, depth, etc. Some people get cameras and microscopes that connect to the pc so they can really look at them up to 400x and such. Good luck.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

jackh wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:34 pm
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:16 am

I also picked up the 12K kuromaku, obtained the other glass stones in grits as described before already and have a super grit progression project in mind using all of them.
Do you use any magnification to look at the edges? I've used 10x, and 30x loupes and they are helpful in seeing exactly what effect a given stone has on an edge regarding scratch pattern, depth, etc. Some people get cameras and microscopes that connect to the pc so they can really look at them up to 400x and such. Good luck.
Yes I do use a USB scope, if you wish, when time allows And my stones arrive I will start with 320 on a Straighr spine Stretch from 320 to 12000 grit. Let me know all I need is interest and of course time :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Still a work in progress, but almost there! I can shave hair and cut paper, though not cleanly...which I suspect is from the coarse finish on the CBN rods. I actually have done this by hand with the Sharpmaker rods. I find that I'm better this way than using the Sharpmaker base itself (yes I know, time for a bench stone!) I suspect I'm around 13-14dps and I'm going to smooth the bevel out a little bit more with the brown rods. It's an oddly aggressive cut with the coarse finish, something I don't normally go with but I'm going to give it a whirl and see how well it performs at work.

Resized_20200103_103213.jpeg
Resized_20200103_103042.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nice job Rick. :cool:

In addition to a bench stone, I'd recommend making a strop out of basswood or hard leather and rubbing in some 3 micron diamond paste. A few minute's work on such a strop after your coarse stones will bring that hair popping edge up nicely while still leaving a coarser, aggressive finish.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks for the heads up Connor! I'll have to look into that. Only strop I have is the Green one from KnivesPlus. I've always considered looking into the pastes, but there's so many I've never really known where to start!

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:15 pm
Thanks for the heads up Connor! I'll have to look into that. Only strop I have is the Green one from KnivesPlus. I've always considered looking into the pastes, but there's so many I've never really known where to start!
Pelagic helped me out on that. Here's what I bought on his recommendation:

https://www.amazon.com/Compound-Tormek- ... B00149DIBE

Gritomatic also has a large selection of diamond pastes. I bought a jar of their 14 micron compound and it works well too. Both compounds I use on basswood blocks purchased at Hobby Lobby.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Nice work Rick.

Diamond paste works much much better than chromium Oxide, I have the same strop you do and have considered stripping it with alcohol and reloading it with Diamonds.

Very good recommendation on the 12 micron size as well.

The Tormec paste is not diamond though it is Aluminum Oxide. I have some on order, purchased it to sharpen my Norelco electric razor heads.

Aluminum Oxide is what the Sharpmaker ceramics are made of and this stuff is in the 3 micron or 8000 grit range so it should work really good getting rid of burrs.

Hi Pelagic thanks for the tips.

When I was really into the wicked edge sharpening system wanting polished mirror bevels etc... I purchased their diamond paste in many different grits and matching balsa wood paddles.

Balsa wood is a very good recommendation it does not give like leather.

As for which diamond paste to get I would give this a try.

Venev Diamond Stropping Compound in Syringe 14 micron https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725PCT4Q/re ... dEbSGG53X8
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

@Doeswhatever

You have the same strop I have, I was thinking of reconditioning it in the near future. I've read around, and even the recommendation from KnivesPlus is just to use plain ole virgin olive oil?? Seems weird to me, have you ever tried it on that strop?

I'll definitely look into the compounds you and Connor have suggested to me. Just wondering how effective olive oil is if anybody has actually used it on a strop.

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:54 pm

The Tormec paste is not diamond though it is Aluminum Oxide. I have some on order, purchased it to sharpen my Norelco electric razor heads.
Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.
- Connor

Doeswhateveraspidercan

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:09 pm
@Doeswhatever

You have the same strop I have, I was thinking of reconditioning it in the near future. I've read around, and even the recommendation from KnivesPlus is just to use plain ole virgin olive oil?? Seems weird to me, have you ever tried it on that strop?

I'll definitely look into the compounds you and Connor have suggested to me. Just wondering how effective olive oil is if anybody has actually used it on a strop.
That’s interesting, I would say olive oil is the worse thing to use though.

Used to use olive oil to coat my Meat Grinder so it would not rust and the oil changed it got really gummy and nasty to get off the metal. I guess that is what it means for it to become rancid?

After that I switched to Food Safe Mineral oil you put on cutting boards.

So if I were to try reconditioning I think I would use the mineral oil.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Update on the Sharp maker diamond rods.

When they first arrived I was disappointed in them and thought aww man wasted money again! Thought that more than twice.

Fast forward and earlier this week while Using my Spyderco Jumpmaster 2 fixed blade to Spatchcock a turkey I felt the blade and sure enough some of the teeth had rolled over!

I was shocked I mean what???!!! I did this with a Pacific Salt serrated during Christmas with no issues both H1 steel.

Man was I bummed out a $175.00 knife ruined! I thought man I wonder if I send this in if Spyderco can fix this?

Then after the panic abated I thought he dummy how about if you fix it?

Like Albert Einstein always said questions are more important than answers.

Then with that question my Non-Einstein brain puked up the answer in a flash of visuals.

So I went and grabbed the sink bridge and my Atoma 140 Diamond plate. Laid the flat side IE: none serrated presentation side on the diamon plate lifter it just a bit and within moments had the bent over teeth back in place.

Then I went and grabbed the sharpmaker and the brown rods got me no where with the burr on the presentation side.

I thought man I need something with more bite maybe if I use the edge of a Silicone carbide stone? Then I saw my Spyderco Diamond rids poo into my minds wye and said Oh Yeah, hey! Why not?

Next I used the diamond rods and ya know what between the Atoma and the triangle rods I was flipping a burr perfectly.

BLADE REPAIRED!!! Hurray!!!

From there I retired the Atoma 140 and the SPYDERCO Diamond rod and used the Spyderco Sharpmaker with the Brown rods, The Fine Rods and the Ultra Fine rods.

H1 serrated lives a good polish all was done at 15 degrees and it is back to being a serrated laser.

Whew thanks for the diamond rods Sal perfect for serrated repair!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Been working with Randall's Stainless lately. (Forged Stainless 440B/C)

Haven't dealt with lower hardness ranges in a long time , haven't had to play chase the burr in awhile. :eek: :D

Something to be said about the high HRC range and the ease of burr removal. :)

It's all good though. :cool:
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Looks like there will be a new line of bench stones from Venev out soon...

Dragon Series Diamonds consist of two 2 mm-thick diamond-bearing layers glued to the aluminum plate. The diamond layer thickness is twice more than in the Phoenix series and has tighter flatness tolerance. The diamond-bearing layers contain evenly distributed diamond grains with resin bonding. Bonded diamonds give the sharpening stone a much longer lifespan.

https://www.gritomatic.com/collections/ ... ed-diamond
-Turbo
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

bbturbodad wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:18 pm
Looks like there will be a new line of bench stones from Venev out soon...

Dragon Series Diamonds consist of two 2 mm-thick diamond-bearing layers glued to the aluminum plate. The diamond layer thickness is twice more than in the Phoenix series and has tighter flatness tolerance. The diamond-bearing layers contain evenly distributed diamond grains with resin bonding. Bonded diamonds give the sharpening stone a much longer lifespan.

Cool! I wish Venev would make some sharpmaker compatible rods.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

If anyone is interested I got a notification today that the new Venev stones are available. WARNING they're pricey!

If anyone grabs one let us know how the flatness from the factory looks. My only complaint with the original version is the amount of flattening they require before the first use. Hopefully they can get the tolerances down on the older (1mm abrasive per side) too. .3mm vs. .1mm on a 1mm surface is a big difference.
-Turbo
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Unless I am reading it wrong they give you two different grits in a purchase so for two high quality stones it is not bad at all price wise.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:49 pm
Unless I am reading it wrong they give you two different grits in a purchase so for two high quality stones it is not bad at all price wise.
That is correct. The stones are double sided however their Phoenix series is also double sided for about half the price, which for most users should last quite a while.
-Turbo
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Ah I see what you mean I did not notice the double sided nature thought they were two separate stones, not really in favor of double anything.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Anyone sharpen straight razors? I bought a few cheap ones and been sharpening/testing them the last few days.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Cant say I have but have hear / read the Shapton Glass stones are really good for this. What are you using?