Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I figured since I had the PA out after finishing the Rex45 Shaman, I might as well see what Magnacut is like on the stones. This is by far the most evenly ground CRK I've come across. Right around 18dps. It cut just fine the past few weeks I used it, doing this solely to see what it's like to sharpen.

CRK claims their Magnacut to be 63-64 HRC. As you can see in the photo, I'm not quite apexed yet, but I've taken it from 18dps to almost apexed at 16dps in the matter of 45 minutes or so. Tempted to go down to 15dps since it's been such a breeze. We'll see!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

That's a good sight Rick !

I am still using the PA with the upgrades I made to it (stone holder, stabilizer thingy under the clamp, paper in the clamp slot to make it more "fixed", ...). However, going freehand with the Dog or Cerberus Dog stones from venev is sometimes annoying. I found that I sharpen best holding the stone in hand, but 4"x0.6" is pretty small.

That's why I've been looking at venev's bench stones for a couple of years now. But they relase the "Pegasus" stones. 8" x 1.3" ! I immediately ordered 3 of them (100+240/400+800/1200+2000) :') . It's exactly what I wanted ! I would've liked to get the F80, but 3 stones was already expensive, especially if I have to pay taxes on top of that once it gets here.
ncrockclimb wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:04 pm
Vivi really inspired me to move away from micro-micron stropped polished edges to coarse grit edges. I could not be happier with the results so far. My only regret is spending so much money on stones and strops when I could probably make do with just the F80 and F150 Venev.

Please post up with you like your f80 edge.
I'm gonna start saying that I own both 25% and 100% stones of every grit. For the F80 edge, I used a C25% stone on a Nitro-V folder of mine. It cuts pretty well, I couldn't get it hair popping / splitting sharp, but it shaves with just the weight of th blade sliding on the arm. I'm gonna use it for a while to see how it fairs, how long it holds up. If it degrades fast, I'll most likely go back to 150 (or try the 100 !)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Wanted to do a reprofile on my 15V Manix, and while I had the stones out I did my K390 Stretch 2 which was in some real need of some time on the stones to clean up and reset the edge bevel. This was my first time sharpening 15V and it works shockingly well for its high wear resistance. Used my usual 140/400/1000 stones then 1 micron diamond strop progression and it came up SHARP. 15V and Maxamet both want to get sticky sharp, but 15V works notably more easily. Both deburr exceptionally well. For the K390 Stretch, I just used the 400 grit stone to clean up the bevels, then put on the final edge with 1000 grit stone and 1 micron strop.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Just sharpened my S110V Manix 2 as I dream about 15v. Used a 10 micron CGSW stone and finished with 1&0.5 micron Venev diamond pastes.
Cuts paper towels like nobodys business.

https://youtube.com/shorts/e11ey6V-O7I?feature=share
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I was embarrassed the other day when I was carrying my CTS-204p Military, and it tore cardboard rather than slicing it cleanly. I did a fair amount of edge maintenance today, but this knife got a whole lot.

First came the CBN rods at 15dps. 300 strokes on one side, until I had a nice even burr and all the sharpie was removed. About 100 on the other, until all the sharpie was removed. Then back and forth until it appeared there was no burr.

Then came the brown rods, about 50 alternating strokes on both corners and flats. Same for the white rods, but 100 alternating strokes. Then came the other white rods, the same 100 alternating strokes on each step.

I think this is the first time I’ve produced a mirror edge, such as it is. The thing carves printer paper like nobody’s business. Very happy with the results, and will be curious to see how it holds up.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Very nice to see! :hugging-face
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:03 pm
Very nice to see! :hugging-face
This is the first time I've done anything beyond a quick touch-up since I bought it from you! A testament to both the 204p and the edge it came to me with!

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

That Millie must be paper thin BTE if that edge is only this tall at 15dps :O
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Nice work in that Millie. My 52100 is my favorite. The 204P exclusive is well liked. Enjoy that new edge.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

horzuff wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:46 am
That Millie must be paper thin BTE if that edge is only this tall at 15dps :O
FWIW, I didn’t measure the edge or anything afterwards, but I used the 15dps setting on the Sharpmaker and got it plenty sharp. It’s definitely a good slicer.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

dan31 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:15 pm
Nice worksin that Millie. My 52100 is my favorite. The 204P exclusive is well liked. Enjoy that new edge.
Thanks Dan! I’m really hoping to pick up a Millie 2 with a tool steel variant like K390, Cruwear, or even Rex45.

Strauss95

Post by Strauss95 »

dan31 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:15 pm
Nice work in that Millie. My 52100 is my favorite. The 204P exclusive is well liked. Enjoy that new edge.
I'm still upset with myself for not picking one of those up a couple years ago when they were priced under $200. Since I'm a big sharpening nut, I'd love to have a big 52100 blade to play with.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Just a little tidbit...

Got my Spyderco Medium benchstone in today. Wow. I'm using an angle guide of course, but this stone feels great. My only freehand experience so far has been on an India combo stone, the one that looks like brick on one side.

I know this is just first impressions and all, but I feel like I might skip the Fine benchstone and hop over to the Ultrafine soon, because this medium feels medium-enough and fine-enough both at the same time, in a way I couldn't quite capture from simply using my medium triangles.

Great job as usual, Spyderco!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

What is the trick to not blunting your tips on a stone when free hand sharpening. I know you're supposed to lift your elbow to follow the curve, but I think I'm going too far, as I see the scratch pattern at the tip only goes up half way. I can't really get a feel for it. My PM2 and my Native have slightly blunted tips now...
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:21 pm
What is the trick to not blunting your tips on a stone when free hand sharpening. I know you're supposed to lift your elbow to follow the curve, but I think I'm going too far, as I see the scratch pattern at the tip only goes up half way. I can't really get a feel for it. My PM2 and my Native have slightly blunted tips now...
I you running your knife all the way off the stone? Or stopping with the tip still on the stone then lifting it off?
--Pete
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

I recently discovered and new way of free handing on a stone. It started with a nagging issue followed by a question.

Nagging Issue: Darn it I can't really see where the blade is touching the stone during free handing and flipping it over just makes things worse.

What IF I could see where the blade is touching the stone just like I do on the Spyderco Gauntlet?

Thoughts and observations:

With the Spyderco Gauntlet and for that matter the Sharpmaker there is absolutely no way to produce the desired exact angle so at best they are close. In truth unless reprofiling it does not matter and a proper reprofile requires some thinning behind the edge any way, a fixed system can get the correct angle with a digital cube but you still need to freehand to correct the behind the edge or you get tall edges with abrupt transitions to the flats that still needs a belt or freehand to fix that or really dropping the angle to blend the flats but most systems cant do that accurately like the TSPROF Blitz can as it ca go really low.

The angles on the Sharpmaker or the Gauntlet do not matter they are close guides is all, sharp is still sharp that's all that counts. Reprofiling only needs to be done once really, unless you are really using the heck out of a blade and wearing it down which is very unlikely the case for most.

More Questions:

How many times has the Sharpie showed me on knives I could not get sharp on the Sharpmaker and Gauntlet just how off I really was and once corrected they we easily sharpened ?

Hey what IF I take my 600 Grit Atoma diamond plate and hold it at an angle to the table with one hand and then place the blade on the plate with a super light pressure just touching the steel to the plate and as I move it down & look to see that it is in constant contact?

Observation:

Uh oh hey this is working really good. I can see where the blade touches the plate and oh wow it is not how I perceived it before at all this is so much clearer.

More Questions:

What IF while moving the blade I do not use a swiping motion and just angel the blade so it stays in contact with the plate?

Observations:

Oh boy this has gotten really sharp! I can see how the edge is getting aligned up and down instead of from front to back or back to front the sweeping motion creates, this feels way sharper and slices better. Wow this is so much easier and precise I feel like I am really seeing the process for the first time. The illusion of what I perceived was the blades Shape & geometry is gone I really see it now. Wow so much faster, takes much less time , really getting the surface area down.

More Questions:

What IF I switch hands so I am moving the blade away from me at all times keeping the same visual reference for both sides?

Observations: Lol a little clumsy with the left hand but not bad at all still allot of fine control, Oh yeah this is a winner, now I can break out all those Shapeton and other expensive stones and grits and really get somewhere with them.

Consideration: Hmmm I really need to order the Spyderco CBN Bench Stones now.

Excitement:

Oh boy I've got something here with this method I better tell the folks on the sharpening thread.

Further Reflection:

Someone must have already figured this out already, oh well no such thing as an original idea but hey who knows maybe this will useful to someone? Hope so. :bug-red-white
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

harpo1 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:04 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:21 pm
I you running your knife all the way off the stone? Or stopping with the tip still on the stone then lifting it off?
I'm staying on the stone, but I think I'm lifting the handle too much and the angle on the top goes from, say 18 degrees, to 25+ degrees and I'm only hitting the bottom half of the bevel. Hard for me to feel when the contact area is so small
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I also find that keeping the point at a 45 degree orientations to the stone helps when sharpening.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Working on some height matched holders for the WSPA. That way there's no need to adjust angle for different stones/strops. The plastic has too much friction so I used brass bushings.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Well I'll be dog-gone, I have a Sebenza in S45VN I reprofiled it using the TSPROF Blitz down to a legitimate 17 degrees per side using an angle cube. Burs formed and flipped etc.... The knife has never cut as well as it should. I mean seriously for $550.00 it should have been screaming sharp from the factory!

Recently as posted above I discovered a new way of sharpening free hand, well new for me anyway. The Sebenza is now for the first time cutting correctly and is slices sharp.

Recently I started playing around with my Atoma 600 Grit Diamond plate as described in a previous post above. I liked the result on my S35VN PM2 which was another knife that like the Sebenza came in dull from the factory and never sharpened up worth a darn.

That PM2 Is now super sharp. After sharpening using the 600 Grit I followed up with the 1200 Grit Atoma and then finished off with the Spyderco Gauntlet white ceramic rods and well all I can say is that both previously difficult knives are very sharp now and I could not be happier.

The takeaway is this. Regular free hand sharpening like most people illustrate in videos takes some time to develop skill in.

Free hand Sharpening is one heck of allot faster than the best guided systems out there.

Free hand sharpening the way I described it is stupid easy and anyone should be able to figure it out pretty quick. A sharpie is your friend at first for whatever blade you are going to work with then after a few passes it get picked up pretty quick where one should be on the abrasives.

I wonder just what the mesh is on these Elliptical rods on both the Spyderco Gauntlet and the Spyderco Galley V ?

It seems to me the mesh is different than the Spyderco non-ultra fine White Bench stone and from my regular Sharpmaker white ceramic rods.

To be clear the regular white Spyderco Bench Stone and the Spyderco White rods on the Sharpmaker appear to be the same mesh.

The Elliptical rods on the Galley V and the Gauntlet appear to be a different mesh and quite frankly superior. Than again without confirmation it is purely subjective, I will however pull out all 3 of my Spyderco Ceramic bench stones and the Sharpmaker & see what I get for results with my method. Hmm might as well test the double stuff with CBN now that I think of it.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie