Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by kennethsime »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:00 pm
I used my benchstones to sharpen my Stretch 2 K390 and was really pleased with how easy it sharpens. The burr formed quickly and removed quickly on the stones. Stropped up very sharp.
I’ve had zero issues sharpening K390. Much more trouble with Rex45 for some reason.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

My daughter(Army) brought in her V-toku2 Endura for me to sharpen. I asked what she had been cutting with it, and she said "C4 and det cord". Lol last thing I cut was the wrapper on a snack cake. Anyho, only had to use the white side of my cbn doublestuff and then strop.5 minutes and good to go. I really didn't care for V-toku when I had the knife, but since its gone through 5 or more sharpenings, it really shines.
Also touched up her hb ladybug.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
vivi

Post by vivi »

Picked up a new DMT diafold X coarse / coarse when I bought my girl her first knife.

Used it to touch up some blades I brought on vacation. Perrin Street Bowie got the x coarse side and the Siren got coarse.

The coarse side feels close to my well worn x coarse bench stone, and the x coarse feels very aggressive. This will be a nice tool to keep in my backpack.
:unicorn
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

vivi wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:11 am
Picked up a new DMT diafold X coarse / coarse when I bought my girl her first knife.

Used it to touch up some blades I brought on vacation. Perrin Street Bowie got the x coarse side and the Siren got coarse.

The coarse side feels close to my well worn x coarse bench stone, and the x coarse feels very aggressive. This will be a nice tool to keep in my backpack.
I thought about you when I recently bought my x-coarse DMT. I guess I'll put an edge on one of my N5s to test it out!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20220422-070521_Gallery.jpg
Used my coffee cup to restore the edge on my urban in AEB-L. You can see metal fillings on the mug if u look close. The edge was quite dull to start, and it was sliding out of cuts. I got it rough cutting paper towel, and no hiccups on some junk mail now.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220422-070601_Gallery.jpg
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Well... I was just going to run the factory edge on this M4 Native, but I got bored tonight so reprofiled it down. The shoulders are knocked back thin as I usually do, but I put the final bevel pretty much at factory angle, as I wanted an edge suitable for rougher use.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

No pictures, but I think I’ve hit a new stride in stropping. The key was getting more feedback via listening, both to the knife and to the advice I’ve received.

Last night I hit four of my favorite knives with black compound until they were effortlessly slicing phone book paper. Today, I cut up a **** of a lot of double corrugated cardboard at work with my frontier valley, and the edge was quite a bit worse for wear. 5 minutes on the strop and it was back in action.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bjz

Post by bjz »

Wandering_About wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:59 pm
Well... I was just going to run the factory edge on this M4 Native, but I got bored tonight so reprofiled it down. The shoulders are knocked back thin as I usually do, but I put the final bevel pretty much at factory angle, as I wanted an edge suitable for rougher use.

I’ve really been enjoying my SE N5 lately for yard and rough tasks and considering a PE down the line. Was really hoping for magnacut, with spy27 was a close second. Now I’m wondering if this M4 version might be a good way to try out a high toughness tool steel rather than my run of the mill stainless options…best price going for a native!

What have your thoughts/experiences been with it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:34 pm
No pictures, but I think I’ve hit a new stride in stropping. The key was getting more feedback via listening, both to the knife and to the advice I’ve received.

Last night I hit four of my favorite knives with black compound until they were effortlessly slicing phone book paper. Today, I cut up a **** of a lot of double corrugated cardboard at work with my frontier valley, and the edge was quite a bit worse for wear. 5 minutes on the strop and it was back in action.
5 minutes on a strop should translate to less than one minute with a fine stone. strops are a good finishing step but there are more efficient ways to bring an edge back once it's that dull.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

vivi wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:23 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:34 pm

5 minutes on a strop should translate to less than one minute with a fine stone. strops are a good finishing step but there are more efficient ways to bring an edge back once it's that dull.
Ok, that’s a good point Vivi. I’ve been stropping a lot lately because I got into convex knives, and I’m not yet confident enough with my free and technique to take them to a stone.

This knife could have been sharpened up on a fine stone though, it’s got a secondary bevel.

Question for the whole room: does a strop loaded with abrasive compound (say, 3,000 grit or so) remove as much material as a stone of an equivalent grit?

Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I have been spending less time on my DMT fine and extra fine stones. The result has been that I am not completely replacing the deeper scratch patterns of the coarse stone but rather just touching them up some. I continue to finish with my normal stropping routine at 4, 2, 1, and .5 micron. I’ve noted a slightly toothier edge that still wave cuts paper but not quite as smooth as a more protracted amount of time spent on fine and extra fine stones.

Is my current method producing slightly more similar results to the folks running toothy edges? I’m running my Stretch 2 K390 like this right now.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yep, pretty similar for me as well. Cleanly slice paper, but maybe just a tad slower and louder haha. But working in the warehouse, I don't need that tip top sharpness of more polished edges. That sharpness tends to wear out very quickly anyways. It takes me so much less time to sharpen and touch up those coarser finishes.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:16 pm
Yep, pretty similar for me as well. Cleanly slice paper, but maybe just a tad slower and louder haha. But working in the warehouse, I don't need that tip top sharpness of more polished edges. That sharpness tends to wear out very quickly anyways. It takes me so much less time to sharpen and touch up those coarser finishes.
Definitely more sound on the paper! Still shaving easily though. I’m kind of liking this method as it’s quicker, like you mentioned. I’ve almost exclusively transitioned to free hand at this point and I’m loving it.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

bjz wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:51 pm

I’ve really been enjoying my SE N5 lately for yard and rough tasks and considering a PE down the line. Was really hoping for magnacut, with spy27 was a close second. Now I’m wondering if this M4 version might be a good way to try out a high toughness tool steel rather than my run of the mill stainless options…best price going for a native!

What have your thoughts/experiences been with it?
Somehow I have actually never really put an M4 knife through its proper paces, so I'm looking forward to working this one hard. It has an excellent reputation, and I expect it to do well for me. The price on this one is excellent, if you want to try a Native in M4, I think you'd do well to go ahead and get one before they are gone! SPY27 is a great steel, well worth trying out also, but if you're looking for a tool steel Native this M4 one is surely a good choice.

Notes from sharpening M4: A bit more wear resistant than I was expecting. Burr behaves well. It came up very sharp in the end. The final edge is 1000 grit stropped with 1 micron diamond, same as I usually do.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The K390 PM2 was used and abused in cardboard today. Hit it on the sharpmaker, brown and whites, corners and flats. Then hit it on the strop with black and green compound. I tried placing my strop on the sharpmaker rods to get the angle, but that proved fairly superfluous.

Slicing through phone book paper like I’m undoing a zipper. I feel like the edge could be finer, but it’s certainly serviceable.

vivi

Post by vivi »

Touched up my Rex45 Chief. Did about 24 alternating strokes on a 300 grit diamond plate, finishing with an extremely light touch.

Planned to hit it on the fine rods once per side but it cleanly shaves off the 300 grit stone so I didn't bother.

I love how high hardness steels sharpen once the overall geometry is where I want it. Extremely little burring. Noticed this with ZDP189 first, years and years ago. No fun to reprofile but extremely easy to sharpen once the bevels are set.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I took my Rex45 Chief down to 16dps, finished on 320 with a couple passes at 600 just to clean it up a little. Carrying it today and loving it. Great knife with a great steel done to my preferences, can't beat that...until I decide to take it down a little further!

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

My Rex45 Chief just go there ! I'm gonna test the factory edge a bit since it's really really sharp, but If it is not at 15dps already I'll at least lay the edge back to 15.

However, even if the knife was still new at this dealer, there are some minor surface rust spots on the blade, and inside of the thumb hole. What do you guys use beside flitz for this kind of stuff?
I've only had to remove rust from liners or old knives, and kinda do not want to ruin the finish on a brand new knife.

here's some pics :

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Flitz should take care of those spots no problem.

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Problem is that amazon only sells it WAY too pricy here. It's crazy knowing that it's a german product. And the only other sellers I found is Knives&Tools, and I didn't want such a small product to do that kind of distance just for this !
I guess I still have to get it ^^' It's been a long time coming anyway. I've heard Magic Erasers from Mr Clean can do this kind of work too ?