Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by JRinFL »

AH80s wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:25 pm
I have just purchased a Sharpmaker & CBN rods mainly for sharpening my serrated Police (also new).
When reading the booklet I noticed it gives two ways to sharpen serrated knives, one that says Spyderco recommended,which is just like sharpening a plain edge.
Has/Does anyone do this ?
I’m new to serrated edges and was wondering why I see mostly the 3:1 system being used, even in the yt sharpmaker videos. Thanks.
BBBE8D6E-F962-490F-9E38-D5C910DB942C.jpeg
I think the single stroke to the non-serrated side is to cut off the burr made by the 3 passes on the serrated side. That's my understanding of the 3:1 method. Understand however, I am not as knowledgable as most here when it comes to sharpening.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:10 am
Your pictures have gotten me hungry vivi !
Senfkarte wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:36 pm
This was kind of overdue, my first time sharpening a SE blade. Since I own this knife, it was in my pocket approximately 80% of the time.
This was before
Every tooth was bend. Some more than the others. Does not look too bad in the pictures but one could feel it without a doubt. The PE part of the blade has been sharpened before.

This is after
The teeth are still a bit pointier and I needed more time to remove the burr, than I have expected. But now it is shaving sharp and ready to be back in my pocket.
You seem to have done a nice job ! I have to admit that removing the burr on a SE knife still takes me more time than on a PE knife, because I often have on small spot or two where the burr remains and the rest of the edge is ok.
I acquired a dragonfly SE in H1 and I really do not like how it cuts, I guess I have to soften the peaks but it is an operation I have yet to try on a SE knife. I might just let it live its life until we get there.
Thanks. And yes, I had the same thing with the burr. For me, that halves of the arcs, that are more near to the tip, were hard to deburr. I think the angle between the blade and the stone was not perfect and as a result I made it harder to get rid of the burr.
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:39 am
AH80s wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:25 pm
I have just purchased a Sharpmaker & CBN rods mainly for sharpening my serrated Police (also new).
When reading the booklet I noticed it gives two ways to sharpen serrated knives, one that says Spyderco recommended,which is just like sharpening a plain edge.
Has/Does anyone do this ?
I’m new to serrated edges and was wondering why I see mostly the 3:1 system being used, even in the yt sharpmaker videos. Thanks.
BBBE8D6E-F962-490F-9E38-D5C910DB942C.jpeg
I think the single stroke to the non-serrated side is to cut off the burr made by the 3 passes on the serrated side. That's my understanding of the 3:1 method. Understand however, I am not as knowledgable as most here when it comes to sharpening.
Thanks 🙂
I haven’t needed to put the Police on it yet, found it interesting that the Spyderco recommended method was sharpening alternating sides at the same angle like a plain edge, if I am reading it correctly.
Not sure which way to go with yet.
Andrew
vivi

Post by vivi »

Worked on giving my Rastasalt a proper edge last night

Not quite finished but it's cutting great as is.

200 grit diamond to set the edge, refined the apex on 400 grit until it shaved, then did two strokes per side on the fine sharpmaker rods @ 15 degrees.

Clean shaving edge that feels ragged if you drag your nail along the apex, best of both worlds.
:unicorn
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

A little non Spyderco content here, but I reprofiled this small Inkosi Insingo tonight. I had one in the past, but foolishly got rid of it, so ended up getting another one because the Insingo blade shape is just so excellent. This one is S45VN blade steel.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:02 pm
A little non Spyderco content here, but I reprofiled this small Inkosi Insingo tonight. I had one in the past, but foolishly got rid of it, so ended up getting another one because the Insingo blade shape is just so excellent. This one is S45VN blade steel.

I've really been enjoying S45VN on my Sebenza 31. Takes a nice fine edge, seems pretty tough, and easy to touch up. The Insingo blade shape looks nice, too!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wandering_About

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:10 pm

I've really been enjoying S45VN on my Sebenza 31. Takes a nice fine edge, seems pretty tough, and easy to touch up. The Insingo blade shape looks nice, too!
The Sebenza I've been carrying for a while now is S45VN, and for my thin edges I think at least the increased hardness is a notable upgrade. Honestly my only real complaint about S35VN was the hardness was a touch low, but otherwise it's worked well enough for me, for what it is. Neither will hold an edge quite as long as K390 or S110V, but of course not everybody wants steels like those.

All that said, I'm going to start adding a Spydie back in my rotation, I'm one of those crazies that really likes stuff like K390 and S110V.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:42 pm
The Sebenza I've been carrying for a while now is S45VN, and for my thin edges I think at least the increased hardness is a notable upgrade. Honestly my only real complaint about S35VN was the hardness was a touch low, but otherwise it's worked well enough for me, for what it is. Neither will hold an edge quite as long as K390 or S110V, but of course not everybody wants steels like those.

All that said, I'm going to start adding a Spydie back in my rotation, I'm one of those crazies that really likes stuff like K390 and S110V.
Do you have some S45VN by Spyderco too ? I'm curious to know if you have seen any difference between CRK's S45VN and Spyderco's.

On another note : After 1 month of wait for my Gunny Juice to come (from Ukraine, Hapstone being the only non-individual distributor I found), it is here ! I have to say the difference between this product and let's say the venev diamond paste or DMT Diaspray is more than noticeable.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I received my replacement 220 grit option for my Precision Adjust. I knew mine had been worn down, but wow...I didn't think this much of a difference. Can't wait to finally finish up on Rex45 Manix.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wandering_About

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:54 am

Do you have some S45VN by Spyderco too ? I'm curious to know if you have seen any difference between CRK's S45VN and Spyderco's.
I had an S45VN Paramilitary 2 for a while but sold it before putting enough use on it to really form a good opinion.

MNOSD member #0035
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wandering_About wrote: I had an S45VN Paramilitary 2 for a while but sold it before putting enough use on it to really form a good opinion.
Oh ok, It would've been nice to see the difference even if the geometry is not the same ! At least the spine thickness and thickness BTE is not so far between both models.
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:03 am
I received my replacement 220 grit option for my Precision Adjust. I knew mine had been worn down, but wow...I didn't think this much of a difference. Can't wait to finally finish up on Rex45 Manix.
I bought a couple of replacement plates before having an adaptator to use venev stones. The difference is crazy but I'm pretty sure the break-in period really helps making the stone more homogeneous. DMT stones are a bit like that too, they "feel" like they cut like crazy at first and after 10 knives they cut just as well but feel less aggressive.

I know the plates I swapped out that I now keep on my pouch when moving are still very good for touch-ups, I use them more often than the ones stuck to the system :rofl
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I know my sharpening adventures are a bit more mundane than most of the other folks here, but I couldn't help but share anyway. Brought my new(ish) Double Stuff to work today and really made a coworker's day by sharpening up their Byrd Robin. I really enjoy free-hand sharpening, and find that I often get a nice edge quicker than with a guided system, though it may be a bit less consistent.

Hit it 10 strokes per side on the brown, then alternating strokes, then stropped and tested the edge. Followed up with 3 strokes per side on the white, then alternating strokes, then stropped and tested again. Good enough for a work knife!

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

I just started using the gauntlet and It worked much better for me than the Sharpmaker-much more contact with the stone.
Sharpened a k390 Endura and was amazed how easily k390 responded to the fine stone on the Gauntlet.
Any ideas how to mount the Gauntlet so I can hold the knife with two hands? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Bruce
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

dullmaker wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:16 pm
I just started using the gauntlet and It worked much better for me than the Sharpmaker-much more contact with the stone.
Sharpened a k390 Endura and was amazed how easily k390 responded to the fine stone on the Gauntlet.
Any ideas how to mount the Gauntlet so I can hold the knife with two hands? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Bruce

I always clamp my sharpmaker down. Maybe something similar is possible with the gauntlet, too? Don't know, how much space there is.
333.jpg
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Ramonade wrote:
Wandering_About wrote:

On another note : After 1 month of wait for my Gunny Juice to come (from Ukraine, Hapstone being the only non-individual distributor I found), it is here ! I have to say the difference between this product and let's say the venev diamond paste or DMT Diaspray is more than noticeable.
I have a PM2 in S45VN. I LOVE it. Takes a fine edge and holds it well. My sharpening skills are improving but still fairly limited, and I find this steel to be very manageable. Depending on the level of usage I’ve touched it up using the brown and white SM rods; the white SM rods on their own; or a strop loaded with green compound. Overall, I love it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Finally finished up my reproile on my favorite knife. Been halfass working on it for about 3 weeks now! This knife had always had uneven bevels, always a larger bevel towards the tip compared to near the choil, as well as some micro chips near the tip recently.

After learning from a prior mistake on another knife while using the Precision Adjust, instead of sharpening one side at a time until raising a burr...which actually led to a larger bevel on one side compared to the other. I now do 50 passes/scrubs per side then flip it over and do another 50 on that side.

The clip side has a nice and even bevel, looks great to me!! For whatever reason, set up at the same 15dps, 50 passes per side each time before switching to the other side...the show side of the knife bevels are still a bit uneven. Hard to see in the lighting, but the bevel near the tip is still a bit larger than near the choil. I finished at 400 grit, then did 15 passes per side on 600 and 800 grit just to clean it up a bit.

I'm not sure why, or how it happened. It's still very sharp and pleased with the results overall. I doubt it will effect anything in use, but still a bit confused. Oh well, much better shape now and some fresh steel for use!!

-Rick
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Ramonade wrote:
Wandering_About wrote:

I have both Chris Reeve knives and two Spyderco PM2 in S45VN Spyderco S45 VN is without a doubt ran much harder and retains a truly sharp edge much longer. You can feel the difference on the TS Prof while reprofiling which is a must on the large Sebenza 31 to get performance out of it. I blew the tip off one of my PM2's in S45VN so that was another reprofile job.

The diamonds dug in easier on the Sebenza but tended to have a more glassy feed back skating more on the PM2 the harder the steel the more this feedback is noticed. Try the old spyderco 440V stuff sometime if you want to see what really hard stuff to reprofile is is. I had a Military in this stuff. I was so much happier when S30V came out.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Anyone else never quite get along with the sharpmaker? Nothing I owned really came from the factory with a 15 deg edge, so I basically had to thin them out (and now I have a hapstone for that) and it seems quicker to me to just free hand on a bench stone (I have the full set of Spyderco ceramics) for quick touch ups. Is there a trick to hitting the tip, but not running the tip off the flats?

I guess the only thing I need it for is if I ever get into serrations?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I hear you loud and clear. I never used my standard Sharpmaker base. Taught myself to free had using the rods until I got some bench stones, though I do use the rods in hand for quick touch ups.

A buddy here made me a custom base with a 17dps setting and that really hits the spot more often than not. Especially for a microbevel off a of 15dps primary bevel if that's your kind of thing.

-Rick
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

BeggarSo wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:35 pm

I have both Chris Reeve knives and two Spyderco PM2 in S45VN Spyderco S45 VN is without a doubt ran much harder and retains a truly sharp edge much longer. You can feel the difference on the TS Prof while reprofiling which is a must on the large Sebenza 31 to get performance out of it. I blew the tip off one of my PM2's in S45VN so that was another reprofile job.

The diamonds dug in easier on the Sebenza but tended to have a more glassy feed back skating more on the PM2 the harder the steel the more this feedback is noticed. Try the old spyderco 440V stuff sometime if you want to see what really hard stuff to reprofile is is. I had a Military in this stuff. I was so much happier when S30V came out.
Whats the manufacture date of your Sebenza?

I have an Inkosi from after they bumped up the hardness, and my experience has been the exact opposite of yours.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd