Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pantagana23

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by pantagana23 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 am

Yep, that's exactly what I do. The stone I use is only $12 too....much cheaper than a KME

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-sided-d ... 92867.html
Could you please make a video of reprofiling a knife on that block, if you have the time and the will? I'm not really interested in a 20 minute step-by-step instructions, but rather to see how exactly do you position the blade relative to the stone (slow mo desirable :D).
If my asumptions are correct, you would be holding each part of the edge at 90 degrees relative to the stone while swiping.
vivi

Post by vivi »

pantagana23 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:33 pm
vivi wrote:

Yep, that's exactly what I do. The stone I use is only $12 too....much cheaper than a KME

Could you please make a video of reprofiling a knife on that block, if you have the time and the will? I'm not really interested in a 20 minute step-by-step instructions, but rather to see how exactly do you position the blade relative to the stone (slow mo desirable :D).
If my asumptions are correct, you would be holding each part of the edge at 90 degrees relative to the stone while swiping.
I can make a video later.

When I reprofile the angle is closer to 10-12 degrees. I lay the blade flat to my stone, then tilt it up a bit so I'm not grinding the entire blade.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:26 pm
Cheers Vivi. :)

Here’s the last batch of stones I’ve been playing with.

From top to bottom:

Gritomatic JIS 120 SiC 3” x 8”

Venev F240/F400 bonded diamond waterstone 3” x 8”

Gritomatic JIS 400 SiC 3” x 8”

Venev F800/F1200 bonded diamond waterstone 3” x 8”

Venev F80/F150 bonded diamond waterstone 6” x 1”

I particularly like and recommend the Venev F240/F400 stone.
A man after my own heart. I've done a few similar orders to try out new abrasives.

Haven't found a Venev stone I like yet, but I love their stropping compounds. I need to try something coarser from them.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:44 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:33 pm
Reprofiled the Dragonfly on a Galley V.

I used 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around the ceramic rods to hog off the steel and then finished with 400 grit paper. I'm tempted to pick up a set of CBN rods but I don't think they'll last very long when taking off this much steel. I think the Galley V is supposed to be 10° but my angle cube was measuring ~11.5° either way it's more acute than the Sharpmaker.

Nice work Turbo. :)

How’s it been holding up in use?
It's working out great! Just like PE it stays sharp longer with the more acute angle. As an added bonus almost no steer now either.

I'm going to do some more of my SE blades like this when I have the time and patience it took awhile to grind down the small Dragonfly not looking forward to how long it'll take on a longer blade.
-Turbo
vivi

Post by vivi »

pantagana23 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:33 pm
vivi wrote:

https://streamable.com/3ad5e3

This is the angle I'm using to regrind my Pacific Salt 2 LC200N. It's still a work in progress. I had a couple of drinks as I was initially setting the bevel and need to even it out a bit :rolleyes:
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:52 pm

This is the angle I'm using to regrind my Pacific Salt 2 LC200N. It's still a work in progress. I had a couple of drinks as I was initially setting the bevel and need to even it out a bit :rolleyes:
Nice one!
Thank you very much for this.
vivi

Post by vivi »

pantagana23 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:05 am
vivi wrote:

Nice one!
Sure thing.

Here's the knife I was working on:

The bevel is uneven and looks like complete ***, but it should cut well. I ran it thinner than I usually go to push LC200N more than I have with my Waterway or Siren.

Gave it three strokes per side at a slightly more obtuse angle on the 200 grit stone I used to reprofile it, then stropped three times per side with 40 micron diamond compound.

This ugly edge will pop arm hairs, which is more than I can say for my other 200 grit edges. It'll be in my pocket the rest of my work week.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

You make it sound, and look, so easy. It probably took a lot of practice to get there.
MFlovejp

Re: Community Sharpening Journ

Post by MFlovejp »

If anyone is looking for a good way to “ease in” to coarse finishing and a lovely micro serrated edge, you may find my experience useful: I had a Kershaw Leek lying around, and I gave it about 2 minutes per side on a DMT 325 grit before I began feeling for the burr and chasing it from side to side. Once I was satisfied the burr was gone I stropped a few times on suede with white compound and hard leather with dmt diaspray 0.5 micron, three strokes per side.

The result is exactly as Vivi and others here have described: an incredibly toothy edge that GRABS what you’re cutting and glides through it with a savage and satisfying sound!

https://imgur.com/a/N1cm1BN

The Leek was a good candidate for this experiment because A) inexpensive B) wharncliffe shape ideal for freehanding and C) apparently this sandvik takes a great toothy edge. I’ll be applying this to lots of other knives coming up here. Thanks all!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:51 am
pantagana23 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:05 am
vivi wrote:

Nice one!
Sure thing.

Here's the knife I was working on:

The bevel is uneven and looks like complete ***, but it should cut well. I ran it thinner than I usually go to push LC200N more than I have with my Waterway or Siren.

Gave it three strokes per side at a slightly more obtuse angle on the 200 grit stone I used to reprofile it, then stropped three times per side with 40 micron diamond compound.

This ugly edge will pop arm hairs, which is more than I can say for my other 200 grit edges. It'll be in my pocket the rest of my work week.

Vivi how did you regrind your pacific salt to get that nice looking tip? And did you dye the scales? Edit: never mind, I found the thread where you discussed the mods. Very nice job! I’d like to find a way to make my Pac Salt 2 pointier as well.
Last edited by MFlovejp on Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
vivi

Post by vivi »

Did a little work on my SE Pacific 2. Used diamond rods at 20 degrees and followed up with 7 micron diamond paste.

Almost have the factory grind lines gone.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Is it sharp? 😝
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Here’s an edge I did tonight on my Para 3 LW using KME. Started with 140 grit diamond to reprofile, took about 2min per side maybe 32 degrees inclusive. Then moved up to 300 grit diamond and refined the edge, finishing with very light single passes per side until the burr was almost imperceptible.

https://imgur.com/a/rTGVhPl

Final step was light stropping on kangaroo with 4 micron emulsion. Not hair whittling but a really aggressive hair popping action. BD1N grinds easily and smoothly.
Last edited by MFlovejp on Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Today I sharpened my new LC200N Pac Salt 2. I had used the factory edge for about 2 weeks while maintaining the edge with a Diafold red/green and some stropping on 0.5 micron Diaspray on hard leather. I put it on my KME and measured some angles. It appears that the factory edge was already pretty close to 15 degrees per side, even a little under. I set the angle to thin the edge back just a little bit.

After the success I'd had sharpening my Para 3 LW in BD1N using just a 300 grit diamond hone and some stropping, I wanted to see if I would have luck with the same progression for the Salt. Took me about 7 minutes per side to even out the bevels, after which I chased the burr/wire edge for what seemed like a really long time. Not sure if this is a common characteristic for LC200N, but the burr was very stubborn. This steel ground very easily, and I was happy with the finish that it took from the coarse stone.

Finally got the burr somewhat minimized and switched to the kangaroo with 4 micron diamond. It got very sharp but there was still some burr on sections of the blade. Took it off the KME and stropped on hard leather with 0.5 micron diamond for several minutes until I was satisfied. This finish will treetop hairs quite readily, but I found that it was a little bitey for whittling. It kept just cutting the hairs mostly through instead of whittling.

https://imgur.com/Xc4ki7R

I really want to do Vivi's straight spine mod, just need to either work up the courage to do it with a file or locate a belt sander! Overall I love the knife though, my example has great fit/finish and it's so light! A very logical choice for coastal Alaska.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Sharpened the tip of my LC200N pac salt today by taking out the hump in the blade. Took most of the morning doing it by hand with a mill bastard file, followed up with some 180 grit and 320 grit sandpaper to smooth out the finish. I’m happy with the results but might do a bit more refining at a later date. The tip is now plenty sharp for my needs!

https://i.imgur.com/mL9TUFt.jpg
BrandonJarrett

Post by BrandonJarrett »

MFlovejp wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:33 pm
Today I sharpened my new LC200N Pac Salt 2. I had used the factory edge for about 2 weeks while maintaining the edge with a Diafold red/green and some stropping on 0.5 micron Diaspray on hard leather. I put it on my KME and measured some angles. It appears that the factory edge was already pretty close to 15 degrees per side, even a little under. I set the angle to thin the edge back just a little bit.

Can you help me out? I’m using the Sharpmaker and it’s not getting me anywhere near hair popping. Do I need to get the Ultrafine rods? Thanks
After the success I'd had sharpening my Para 3 LW in BD1N using just a 300 grit diamond hone and some stropping, I wanted to see if I would have luck with the same progression for the Salt. Took me about 7 minutes per side to even out the bevels, after which I chased the burr/wire edge for what seemed like a really long time. Not sure if this is a common characteristic for LC200N, but the burr was very stubborn. This steel ground very easily, and I was happy with the finish that it took from the coarse stone.

Finally got the burr somewhat minimized and switched to the kangaroo with 4 micron diamond. It got very sharp but there was still some burr on sections of the blade. Took it off the KME and stropped on hard leather with 0.5 micron diamond for several minutes until I was satisfied. This finish will treetop hairs quite readily, but I found that it was a little bitey for whittling. It kept just cutting the hairs mostly through instead of whittling.

https://imgur.com/Xc4ki7R

I really want to do Vivi's straight spine mod, just need to either work up the courage to do it with a file or locate a belt sander! Overall I love the knife though, my example has great fit/finish and it's so light! A very logical choice for coastal Alaska.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

BrandonJarret, it looks like your question somehow got lost in the body of the quote that you posted.

I’m hardly the sharpening guru on this forum but i can tell you from my experience that ultra fine stones are not necessary for a sharp edge. There are users here who get screaming edges using 300grit stones and a little stropping.

There’s a ton of research on just this thread that you can do when you have time. I’ve been learning lately from a user called Vivi and well as a YouTube poster named Michael Christy. Good luck and feel free to ask any more specific questions as you practice and learn.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've gotten to use my LC200N Pacific Salt a bunch over the past few weeks.

I've been making a point to experiment with different edge finishes to guage how the steel behaves at different grits.

Initially I kept the edge extremely polished, then I went in the opposite direction. These days its a middle ground.

Reprofiled on a 180 grit diamond stone. Aimed for 8dps. Once I was flipping the burr I used lighter and lighter strokes, one swipe per side, until the edge cleanly shaved.

Then I setup my sharpmaker with the medium rods in the 20 degree slots and did one light stroke per side.

Previously I was running the edge straight off the 180 grit stone. While it cut extremely well, the apex seemed to roll more easily than I wanted due to how thin of an edge I put on it.

So I've been using the 20 degree microbevel to try to stabilize the apex without completely grinding off the microserrations.

This knife has been taking extremely sharp edges for me. Using the process I outlined above, it bites into materials and grabs them well like my coarse edges tend to do, but that bit of refinement on the ceramics gives it great push cutting ability too.

Even after being used to break down cardboard etc. over the past few days since my last touch-up, it pops arm hairs off. Very sharp. When I do the thumb test to feel how keen the apex is my thumb just stops, doesn't want to slide off.

BTW today a SE LC200N Pacific arrived in the mail. Excited to see how the steel does in SE.
vivi

Post by vivi »

picked one of these up for keeping my sharpening supplies organized.

https://www.harborfreight.com/electrica ... 66491.html

Got strops and compounds on top, sharpmaker base & rods and my screwdriver set on the tray, and all my bench stones and spare sanding belts on the bottom.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I hope I'm not derailing anyone's conversation but I've been experimenting with some different types of "stropping" lately. The other day I found a couple of really old "razor stones" made by an old Razor company known as "Columbia". One of the stones is kind of a glossy black and the other is a dull looking white. I think they were my late uncle's stones that he sharpened his straight razors with ( so I was told). I've had those stones for quite some time but I never used them because they seemed so fine.

But I got to thinking that they might be good for possibly stropping an already sharp edge. Not sure what those old Razor stones were made of. I used skewing motions just like I would with a leather type strop and it did seem to enhance the edge.
After that the edge would float through really flimsy old paper with ease.

Just wondered if any of you have ever tried anything super hard like that for stropping?