Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ThomC wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:16 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:10 pm
Looks good to me! I have the DMT Diasharp stone with the X Coarse/Coarse sides. That stone is no joke! When it was new the first blade I tried to sharpen felt like it was bouncing around the stone because the X coarse was so coarse haha. Great stone for reprofiling. Does the job quick that's for sure.
The one with its own stand ? I've been looking at them too, they seem quite nice to use.
The XC took me by surprise at first too, finding the right amount of pressure for a smooth motion was tricky.
Yea, I had to buy the stand separately though. I dont think it was very expensive if I remember correctly. Around $20 maybe
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Today we took every EDC @ work down to 600 grit on a SAK diamond steel, then strop them with 1 micron load , very pleased with the outcome, this thread has been very interesting and enlightening plus enjoyable, the BD1 steel will cut paper towels and toilet paper now ;)
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I decided to reprofile my K390 Para 3 today. Spyderco is doing very well with the edges they put on their knives. Factory S110V Para 3 for reference. I may have knocked a degree or two off the K390 but did not change it a whole lot.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Haven't seen much here lately, figured I'd just throw in this small job I did earlier today.

I wasn't too thrilled with the edge this knife was holding after a couple days of use. A very noticeable difference from its Vanadis 4E Wharnie brother.

Took it to the DMT Diasharp stone, but only the Coarse side (300 grit) not X Coarse. Ground away a bit of steel, left a nice and toothy but sharp edge after about 15 minutes on the stone, a couple passes on the brown and fine rods, then a few passes on my simple KnivesPlus strop and she's popping hairs off my arm without touching the skin :cool:

-Rick
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Sunday is sharpening day !
M4 Military for about 25 minutes to try and normalize the bevel I'd started before the patina. It's almost even everywhere now, yay.
As always, just the DMT XC, a piece of cork and a leather belt.
Gives a pretty rough shave and should hold for a good while.

Next up, the Chef. Man is LC200N easy to work with.
The blade shape, not so much. Ugly uneven bevel will be gone next time I work it (I hope).
That huge-a** belly made it hard to keep an even stroke (heh) on the stone.
But it cuts much easier and doesn't slip on rough material.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ground presentation side at 15 degrees on diamond rods until the bevel was reset. Then switched to medium rods at 20 degrees and did about 6-7 feather light strokes per side.

It'll catch hairs above the skin now.
:unicorn
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:45 pm

Ground presentation side at 15 degrees on diamond rods until the bevel was reset. Then switched to medium rods at 20 degrees and did about 6-7 feather light strokes per side.

It'll catch hairs above the skin now.
Looks good, I need to get a Sharpmaker so I can sharpen SE knives. It would be nice if more grits were available for the diamond triangle rods. If I got one then I would want to 3d print a different base with various angles.

I found some really cheap Venev OCB diamond waterstones on Gritomatic. The set of stones I have is currently sold out but they have plenty of good deals on other Venev stones. They have double sided 400/800 grit as low as $11usd for a 4"×1.5" stone. https://www.gritomatic.com/collections/ ... 6343443565
vivi

Post by vivi »

Maybe this is why this knife hasn't impressed me yet. This is after 50 strokes on the diamond rods at 20 degrees. That's thicker than any of my H1 Pacifics.

Additionally those spikey peaks tend to snag pretty bad.

I'm going to reset the entire edge and do some more comparisons with my H1's. My current findings don't really add up. Sharpening these SE LC knives, they feel harder than H1 and take more strokes to reset. But in use I can't see any edge holding advantage that I would expect based on sharpening feedback.

Not sure if I should continue with 20 degrees or give it the 15 degree edge I give my SE H1's.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Exactly why I haven't been able to LOVE SE, no matter how many times I try. I know I need to suck it up and round off the tips...I just have so many more PE knives that I know I love and maintain with my free time, that the pointy SE knives I have tend to take a backseat.

That's a lot of grinding you've got to do there bud!

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:08 pm
Exactly why I haven't been able to LOVE SE, no matter how many times I try. I know I need to suck it up and round off the tips...I just have so many more PE knives that I know I love and maintain with my free time, that the pointy SE knives I have tend to take a backseat.

That's a lot of grinding you've got to do there bud!
The middle ground really is the best.

High polish PE knives make exceptionally clean cuts....for a little while.

Factory serrated edges make rough, snagging cuts.....forever.

But rounded serrated edges brought to a mid level polish, or thin plain edge knives brought to a cleanly apexed coarse polish.....now those are cutting machines. Great edge retention & clean slicing.

Maybe I need to do a video comparison between the two SE Salts pictured above before I reset the LC Salt. The way they cut is almost as big of a difference as SE vs PE. The LC struggled to cleanly slice cardboard while the H1 could push cut it.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Your test your choice and your effort is always appreciated, but wouldn't 15 degrees for both be closer to apples to apples despite the different grinds? Who knows, maybe the difference at this point is the pointy teeth on your SE LC200N Pac Salt.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:20 pm
Your test your choice and your effort is always appreciated, but wouldn't 15 degrees for both be closer to apples to apples despite the different grinds? Who knows, maybe the difference at this point is the pointy teeth on your SE LC200N Pac Salt.
In theory, that sounds correct. But there is definitely a difference in the serration grinds between factories they come from and models. You'll probably be surprised...but my Matriarch 2, even with that wild looking blade, is actually a better cutter/slicer than my SE Wharnie Delica when comparing factory edges. That was a shocker to me, the Matriarch has much more shallow scallops and the tips don't grab and tear quite like the Delica.

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've struggled with getting a clean bevel on this Ronin 2 at times because the edge is a mild hawkbill rather than a true straight edge. Even after resetting the edge twice now there is still a mild U shape to the apex.

But, it's extremely sharp and the hollow grind gives it very good slicing geometry.

I ground it at about 8-10 degrees per side on a 260 grit diamond plate, then gave it 12 passes per side at 20 degrees with the medium sharpmaker rods. Every bit of the edge cleanly shaves.
skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:20 pm
This is what I was thinking. Only reason I started with 20 is I knew from touching up this knife if was ground more obtuse than that.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Come on you gotta go 15° ;)

Now you know why I'm on my third set of diamond/CBN rods :p
-Turbo
vivi

Post by vivi »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:51 pm
Come on you gotta go 15° ;)

Now you know why I'm on my third set of diamond/CBN rods :p
Oh I will.

Mine still cut cleanly even if they work slower than new ones. I'll order a new set someday, but my current ones have been going strong for years.

Sometime this summer I'm ordering a new sharpmaker + diamond or cbn rods, and I'm putting my old one in my knife roll for work.

Anyways, found my Aqua Salt in my sharpening supplies box of all places. Located it when I sharpened my Ronin 2. I guess I set it there last time I was sharpening because I planned to work on it but never got around to it.

This time I reset the edge with a 200 grit diamond plate. Then did one stroke per side with a feather light touch on that same stone until it could scrape shave.

From there I stropped on 40 micron about 10 passes per side.

The entire edge cleanly shaves, and when I run my nail down the apex it feels incredibly toothy. This is going to be a fun edge to use.

I'm expecting this edge to outlast Rex45 and M4 sharpened on the sharpmaker fine rods. That's how much of a difference I think different grits can make.
vivi

Post by vivi »

One last sharpening job.

Reset my Pacific 1 SE.

Just got a pair of Pacific Salts back from Josh. Decided the SE needed a refresh.

Reset the edge at 15 degrees on diamonds, then followed up with 20 degrees per side with medium rods.

Also refreshed the tip on my belt sander.

It came out really nice. I plan to carry this the next few days.

All it took was a bit of elbow grease to turn this old beater into the knife I'm most excited to carry tomorrow.
kobold

Post by kobold »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:22 am
One last sharpening job.

Reset my Pacific 1 SE.

Just got a pair of Pacific Salts back from Josh. Decided the SE needed a refresh.

Reset the edge at 15 degrees on diamonds, then followed up with 20 degrees per side with medium rods.

Also refreshed the tip on my belt sander.

It came out really nice. I plan to carry this the next few days.

All it took was a bit of elbow grease to turn this old beater into the knife I'm most excited to carry tomorrow.

Looks good Vivi. Looks like this won't snag on anything, just cut like nobody's business. :cool:
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

If you have time, Vivi, I know we would enjoy the videos. Maybe even a before and after. I'm sure you have plenty of other things to do though.
vivi

Post by vivi »

No videos yet but I took some better photos:

Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:06 pm
Anyways, found my Aqua Salt in my sharpening supplies box of all places. Located it when I sharpened my Ronin 2. I guess I set it there last time I was sharpening because I planned to work on it but never got around to it.

This time I reset the edge with a 200 grit diamond plate. Then did one stroke per side with a feather light touch on that same stone until it could scrape shave.

From there I stropped on 40 micron about 10 passes per side.

The entire edge cleanly shaves, and when I run my nail down the apex it feels incredibly toothy. This is going to be a fun edge to use.

I'm expecting this edge to outlast Rex45 and M4 sharpened on the sharpmaker fine rods. That's how much of a difference I think different grits can make.
Great looking edge on that Pac Salt!

Quick question about the quote above, Have you sharpened the Rex45 and M4 using that same protocol? How would you compare the edge feel?
I assume if all 3 were sharpened the same you'd see H1 lag behind somewhat in edge holding since it's plain edge, no?

Lastly, do you own the Fish Hunter in SE? Because what you did with the Pac Salt seems like it would sweet on the Fish Hunter SE? I'd love to do that to mine. The CBN triangles arrived a few weeks ago. Just need to get after it, I s'pose. It's the longest SE knife that I own with that serration pattern. So, seems like it'd be the ideal candidate to make a monster cutter out of.

But having to use "lite pressure" seems like it would probably take forever, and consume these rods up fairly quickly, meaning one knife and done.

Thoughts, advice?
Last edited by Chris_P_Bacon on Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,