Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Giygas

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by Giygas »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:16 pm
Problem is that amazon only sells it WAY too pricy here. It's crazy knowing that it's a german product. And the only other sellers I found is Knives&Tools, and I didn't want such a small product to do that kind of distance just for this !
I guess I still have to get it ^^' It's been a long time coming anyway. I've heard Magic Erasers from Mr Clean can do this kind of work too ?

If it's really as light as it looks in the picture then a lubricant (I use Rem-Oil) and a fairly rough paper towel might even work.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:16 pm
Problem is that amazon only sells it WAY too pricy here. It's crazy knowing that it's a german product. And the only other sellers I found is Knives&Tools, and I didn't want such a small product to do that kind of distance just for this !
I guess I still have to get it ^^' It's been a long time coming anyway. I've heard Magic Erasers from Mr Clean can do this kind of work too ?
toothpaste and a rag would knock those off I bet. bar keepers friend would too.
:unicorn
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

vivi wrote: toothpaste and a rag would knock those off I bet. bar keepers friend would too.
Oh yeah, my father always made me reduce/erase small scratches on watches this way ! I'll try it out, thanks for the reminder ! I also have bar keepers friend for the sharpmaker, it'll be the second option.
Giygas wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:24 pm
If it's really as light as it looks in the picture then a lubricant (I use Rem-Oil) and a fairly rough paper towel might even work.
I live in France so I'm totally stocked on Olive oil :squinting-tongue and 3 or 4 other types, non edible though. Thanks for the tip.

I've always dealt with more "heavy" rust. This is simply caused by one of the dealer's employee taking the knife out of the box to take pictures and putting it back directly. It's been the last in stock for 1 or 2 years now, that's totally understandable.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

E30F0F81-9A98-4943-AFA2-19AC36E0D1FA.jpeg
I managed a hair whittling edge on my K390 Wharncliffe Dragonfly this evening. Freehand with DMT coarse, fine, extra fine, and stropped at 4, 2, 1, and .5 micron. It wasn’t hair whittling across the entire edge, but everywhere it wouldn’t whittle the hair was jumping a lot so I feel like it was close even in those spots. Still working on consistency I suppose.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I'm attempting to flatten my Venev sharpening stones. The only grit giving me trouble is the F100(100-125micron). I know they recommend using loose SC grit to flatten them. I'm using 220 grit SC sandpaper on a mirror. I probably need to switch to a lower grit but wanted to ask how other people get it done. The higher grits were easy but this course one is giving me **** so any help would be appreciated.
ThatGuyCF

Post by ThatGuyCF »

Hair featherstick on my Rex 45 Manix. 15° edge with an 18° microbevel, 320 > 600 > ceramic 1000 > bare leather strop > 7 micron strop

Current collection: Manix 2 LW Rex 45 + Maxamet, Delica 4 Green Zome VG-10, PM2 S45VN, Ladybug K390, REC Exclusive Shaman, Stretch 1 HAP40/SUS
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I thought the factory edge on my Dragonfly 2 WC in K390 was better than on my Ladybug and Stretch 2. Both had either dull spots or a really tenacious burr.

I cut one day with the Dragonfly and boom, I could see a clear and pretty big burr going out of alignment with the Apex. These burrs aren't easy to detect, cause cutting in a bit of wood or some paper won't necessarily displace them. From what I experienced of course, and I'm only talking about K390 factory burrs.

So I spent a lot of time to do what I was gonna do anyway : Reprofile the blade to 13/13,5 dps. I had not tried a really high polish on K390 yet, and decided to double down. Actually, let's also sharpen to the heel.

The bit of smile you see is my fault, the wharncliffe profile wasn't totally straight, and I spent a little more time at the heel to manage to hit the part that is like 1 cm from the heel.

Here's a first attempt at posting a video, dunno if this works here (edit: it does not work with imgur):

https://i.imgur.com/v5heq9q.mp4

I have to say one thing : The bite K390 keeps at a high polish is astonishing ! This is the first time I really get to experience this steel fully (Ladybug lost a good part of it's lifetime, and now I'm waiting for it to get dull, I changed angle 3 or 4 times already, and Stretch hasn't seen much use). Hair either jumps in fear of the edge, or get split in two.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Soanso McMasters

Nice! I’ve got the stretch and wharncliffe Dragonfly in k390 as well. I’ve been running them with a coarse edge but now I want to try them with a high polish! Sharpening method and progression?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Since i was reprofiling and didn't want to lose the crisp V edge yet, Ive decided to use the work sharp precision adjust with Venev stones.
I went feom F80 to F1200. I don't remember exactly how it compares with DMT grit, its something like 5000.

Then I only did one pass each side on a small (4"×0.5") strop loaded with 0.5 micron diamond spray. It really is easy to minimize and removes burrs with the F800 and F1200 venev stones !

metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Really nice job with that edge Ramonade!
Soanso McMasters

Ramonade wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 5:00 pm
Since i was reprofiling and didn't want to lose the crisp V edge yet, Ive decided to use the work sharp precision adjust with Venev stones.
I went feom F80 to F1200. I don't remember exactly how it compares with DMT grit, its something like 5000.

Then I only did one pass each side on a small (4"×0.5") strop loaded with 0.5 micron diamond spray. It really is easy to minimize and removes burrs with the F800 and F1200 venev stones !
I have been impressed in general with how easy K390 burr removal is. My Dragonfly came with a burr from the factory and it stropped off. It is such an interesting steel, which is why it has received all of my pocket time of late. It has very good edge retention, and is also ran hard, yet it is easy to sharpen as well. It is my only high edge retention steel to have both high edge retention and ease of sharpening.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That edge does look purty Robin, nice job!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

I had been meaning to add another 10" chef knife to my work roll. Finally did.

Ran an experiment where I sharpened the bottom one with my coarsest stone in my work kit, and the top with my highest grit stone.

Top one was finished on a Spyderco ultrafine rod and could effortlessly pop arm hairs.

Bottom one was finushed to 200 grit and could just barely scrape shave in spots.

Neither are high end. Both are soft stainless. Top is Victoeinox, bottom is some cheap chinese chef pattern knife I got when an old employer shut down.

Two hours later the top one needed touched up.

A week later the bottom one still glided through produce effortlessly.

Today I converted the top one to 300 grit. The polished edge was nice for certain jobs, but at the end of the day I'd have switched to using the coarser finished one instead of touching uo the polished one 2-3 times per shift.

So much for carrying one polished and one coarse chef knife.
:unicorn
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I let this get duller than usual so I gave it a full sharpening starting with the CBN rods then brown and finished with a few passes on the fine rods that resulted in a nice polished toothy edge that cuts with a smooth yet aggressive feel.

-Turbo
Soanso McMasters

My Maxamet Sage 1 completely kicked my butt. I tried to freehand it twice and the edge was pathetic. I mean shamefully pathetic. I had to get out my KME to fix it.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

TkoK83Spy wrote:That edge does look purty Robin, nice job!
metaphoricalsimile wrote:Really nice job with that edge Ramonade!
Thanks to both of you, I'm happy that K390 responded like this under my keep and with a high polish ! Makes me want to reprofile my K390 Ladybug once again to finally like it :squinting-tongue
Soanso McMasters wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:57 pm
I have been impressed in general with how easy K390 burr removal is. My Dragonfly came with a burr from the factory and it stropped off. It is such an interesting steel, which is why it has received all of my pocket time of late. It has very good edge retention, and is also ran hard, yet it is easy to sharpen as well. It is my only high edge retention steel to have both high edge retention and ease of sharpening.
Good that you manage to strop it off ! I had an opposite experience, the burrs I had on the Ladybug and Dragonfly were stropping the strop more than the knife ^^. I'll join you on the good sharpening experience K390 provides with the HT they use. Even if it not the same on the edge retention side of things, I find CTS-XHP to be very similar in sharpening feedback.
I don't use a high polish on many steels, most of them are ran at 400 or 600 grit. However, XHP keeps a crazy bite at high polish, just like K390 with a similar geometry and edge angle.

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Did a quick and dirty reprofile on the N5 Salt this afternoon. 45 mins from start to tree topping.
-Turbo
bjz

Post by bjz »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:26 pm
Did a quick and dirty reprofile on the N5 Salt this afternoon. 45 mins from start to tree topping.
Don’t suppose you have a “before” photo to compare the tooth profile? Not too long ago I finally decided to “reprofile” my s35vn SE native. From the factory it was right about 15 and very very pointy. After about the same amount of time as you on Diamond rods, it’s a little less pointy but far from what you have going on!

Nice work!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Not a great pic but I found this old one...
-Turbo
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:07 pm
I'm attempting to flatten my Venev sharpening stones. The only grit giving me trouble is the F100(100-125micron). I know they recommend using loose SC grit to flatten them. I'm using 220 grit SC sandpaper on a mirror. I probably need to switch to a lower grit but wanted to ask how other people get it done. The higher grits were easy but this course one is giving me **** so any help would be appreciated.
I have yet to buy the bigger stones, i own dog series. I still need to buy a full set of either greater dog or the Phoenix.
Ive used a SC flattening stone on them for the first time recently, I still need to see the results at my next use .
I wanted to bring the Chokwe down at 15dps, I'll try to start tomorrow.