Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by bbturbodad »

Reprofiled my Rock Jumper to 15° today. It was plenty sharp from the factory but the serrations were too pointy for my taste and would snag when cutting cardboard so my goal was to smooth it out to eliminate the snagging. Took longer than I expected using the CBN rods but it was worth it. No more snagging and tree topping sharp.

-Turbo
vivi

Post by vivi »

Looks good. Slightly rounded serrations like that work betterfor most things in my experience.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Looks great! I might have to do that with my SE Wharnie Delica. The serrations are pretty pointy and snag more than I would like. I think that could be why I haven't carried it as much as I thought I would.

What was your formula for doing that?
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That looks awesome, Turbo! :cool:
How long did it take, if I may ask?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:02 pm
Looks good. Slightly rounded serrations like that work betterfor most things in my experience.
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:47 pm
Looks great! I might have to do that with my SE Wharnie Delica. The serrations are pretty pointy and snag more than I would like. I think that could be why I haven't carried it as much as I thought I would.
Thanks guys!

Do it! I did my Delica too and it's snag free.
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:59 pm
That looks awesome, Turbo! :cool:
How long did it take, if I may ask?
I did it in two sessions...probably close to two hours in total. My rods are getting pretty worn down, wish Spyderco would make a bonded option of some type.
-Turbo
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

How many passes on the serrated side before going to the other side? Or do you wait until you get a burr? Will be my first reprofile on an SE once I get to it. Looks good though, would like to follow your formula!

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:49 pm
How many passes on the serrated side before going to the other side? Or do you wait until you get a burr? Will be my first reprofile on an SE once I get to it. Looks good though, would like to follow your formula!
Like he said it takes long enough you won't be counting passes. I'd guess at least 400-500. I've done this to more than one knife.

https://www.congresstools.com/catalog/c ... ory/?id=72 - They have some rods that are 1/2" diameter triangle that fit in the sharpmaker base and will cut faster, but they deform some in the process.

https://www.congresstools.com/catalog/f ... egoryId=65 - Those work good too. I use the medium shapton triangle on my Pacific Salt 1 beater for a super toothy edge that will cut through anything.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:49 pm
Yep like Vivi said no counting, just work it until you get a burr. I run a thin sharpie line along the edge and then start feeling for the burr when the sharpie is no longer visible. On the backside I use the flat side of the stone to knock off the burr.

After the serrations are done do the tip separately on the flat sides.
-Turbo
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I came across this KME "The Beast" 50 grit Diamond while plundering around the net and thought I'd give it a try. I needed to reprofile my 4V mule and thought this may help with cutting thru the bevel and save a little time :eek: Oops! Took a very light sweep across my sharpie covered bevel at 13°on my Hapstone V7 and realized how deep it cut!

Laid it to the side and used my CBN tri-rods to finish the job but you can still see where the "beast" left it's mark. Hope this is visible to you, it came very close to the edge.

I left the edge toothy from the CBN rods and then took a pass or two on the SM at 20°with the white rods. It's super quiet through receipt paper without snagging, so I'll leave it there and maybe refine things out if it gets stuck in my craw too much. The Beast ain't no joke so tread lightly! :D

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:30 pm
https://www.congresstools.com/catalog/c ... ory/?id=72 - They have some rods that are 1/2" diameter triangle that fit in the sharpmaker base and will cut faster, but they deform some in the process.

https://www.congresstools.com/catalog/f ... egoryId=65 - Those work good too. I use the medium shapton triangle on my Pacific Salt 1 beater for a super toothy edge that will cut through anything.
Thanks Vivi...I just put in an order from them for a few stones to try out. If even if they don't last long the time saved is easily worth the $6 or to me. I'll report back after giving them a go.
-Turbo
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

IKUCHI

As I know that a good number of experienced sharpeners follow this thread, I feel that this is the right place for making my question,

I was about to sharpen my Ikuchi but refrained at the very last moment because I was not sure of how to correctly place such a curved blade in the clamp (I sharp with a KME) to get a consistent bevel.

I would appreciate any idea/suggestion. Thanks in advance.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:50 am
vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:30 pm

Thanks Vivi...I just put in an order from them for a few stones to try out. If even if they don't last long the time saved is easily worth the $6 or to me. I'll report back after giving them a go.
Looking forward to your thoughts. I learned about that website from this forum. Can't remember which member mentioned them, but they have a lot of interesting abrasives to work with on both PE and SE blades.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I carried my Siren today and noticed that while it still had a working edge, it couldn't even scrape arm hairs off with moderate force.

I decided to use the same finish the designer told me he uses. 1200 grit DMT plate.

My fine DMT plate was the first real sharpening stone I acquired, in fact. I remember quite clearly my first attempt to sharpen my first Spyderco, a saber ground VG10 Delica 4. I tried using the steel honing rod on it from my kitchen block, and all I accomplished was scratching the finish and making the apex a little more dull.

It's very worn ~16 years later, but still produces a nice edge.

It's been a while since I've used such a polished finish. I will be carrying this knife the rest of the month at work. This edge should work well for the things I use my knife for on the job.

Certainly cleanly shaves now.

I think next week I'm going to reset the bevel and form a fresh edge right off the DMT fine. It cuts well as is, but the microbevel isn't quite as micro as I like.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

One of the reasons I like LC200N so much is the flexible balance of properties. Seems you can do either sticky coarse or smooth hair whittling push cut polished with this steel. I take my SpydieChef beyond DMT green, tho.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cut up a bunch of cardboard with my Manix tonight. Touched it up on the medium rods at 20 degrees. Took an extremely sharp edge that catches hair above the skin.

Eventually I'll reset the bevel to something thinner and coarser.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If it's a rainy day today, after lunch with the wife I'll be reprofiling my SE Delica. Like BB, my CBN rods are a bit worn these days but I'll see how it goes. My first SE reprofile!

-Rick
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:50 am
If it's a rainy day today, after lunch with the wife I'll be reprofiling my SE Delica. Like BB, my CBN rods are a bit worn these days but I'll see how it goes. My first SE reprofile!
Did you get a chance to give a shot today? I just cut up a few boxes with mine. :)
-Turbo
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:19 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:50 am
Did you get a chance to give a shot today? I just cut up a few boxes with mine. :)
I did not, hopefully a couple days after work this week. Your looks nice and even, I'm hoping for the same results!

-Rick
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I thinned out the Delica a little behind the edge and didn't keep it as even as I would have liked so it's not as clean as the RJ but it cuts like a laser. You can see in the pic below where I finished with brown rods at 15° and left the CBN scratches where I thinned it out.

-Turbo
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

Vivi you're a sharpening mad scientist, man. I bought the Xtra coarse DMT stone a few weeks ago because of your video and now I happened to have that Harbor Freight 4 sided sharpener laying around. Did one knife with 300 and another with 400 and they're both screaming sharp! They were S35VN and 154cm. Thanks again man for constantly testing new things and sharing it with us!