Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by vivi »

I keep a spyderco fine ceramic stone in my knife roll, along with my gyutos, sujihikis, petties etc.

Today I was working with a chef we recently added to our team. He was showing me some of the knives he keeps in his roll. But that isn't what caught my eye.

What caught my eye was his strop and the exact same blue case I carry in my roll. Spyderco fine ceramic stone

Opened it up to check it out and it was disgusting, almost pure black. Like it had never been cleaned.

Told him make sure he brings it tomorrow because I'm coming in with a bottle of bar keepers friend and getting it back to like new condition for him.

Gonna blow his mind with how much better his results will be!
:unicorn
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:24 pm
I keep a spyderco fine ceramic stone in my knife roll, along with my gyutos, sujihikis, petties etc.

Today I was working with a chef we recently added to our team. He was showing me some of the knives he keeps in his roll. But that isn't what caught my eye.

What caught my eye was his strop and the exact same blue case I carry in my roll. Spyderco fine ceramic stone

Opened it up to check it out and it was disgusting, almost pure black. Like it had never been cleaned.

Told him make sure he brings it tomorrow because I'm coming in with a bottle of bar keepers friend and getting it back to like new condition for him.

Gonna blow his mind with how much better his results will be!
Welcome back I missed your posts.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

A wild Saturday night in of reprofiling knives tonight. Wanted to get the MagnaCut Native thinned, and figured since I had the stones out it was time to do the 15V Paramilitary 2 while I was at it. Both steels are great to sharpen on diamond abrasives. 15V continues to impress with its sharpenability, especially given its extreme vanadium content and high hardness. MagnaCut works nicely as well and is another favorite steel to sharpen. Both deburr very nicely and want to come up super sharp. Not the cleanest bevels I've ever done, but they will cut.

Edited for a picture in better lighting:

Last edited by Wandering_About on Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Very nice! Wasting no time.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wandering_About

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:22 am
Took a better photo this morning. Definitely a couple flaws, the main one is that I made a couple bad strokes with the Atoma 140 by the plunge line on the Spyder logo side on both knives. But otherwise they turned out fine.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:26 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:22 am
Took a better photo this morning. Definitely a couple flaws, the main one is that I made a couple bad strokes with the Atoma 140 by the plunge line on the Spyder logo side on both knives. But otherwise they turned out fine.
That was a well done job, nice and acute. The Atoma 140 definitely will leave some evidence behind with an errant stroke, but if you are going to use your knives anyway it isn’t a big deal. Generally unless I’ve had a regrind done most people think my knives are ugly anyway from having fat 8-10 degree bevels on them anyway.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I sharpened my pocket knife tonight.

Reset the edge on an 80 grit diamond flattening stone.

Refined it on a 300 grit diamond stone.

Finished with very light strokes until I minimized the burr enough to cleanly shave off the 300 grit stone.

Did two strokes per side at 15 degrees with the fine sharpmaker stones using the least amount of pressure I could manage.

The edge feels ragged and catches hard when I run my nail along the apex, but it'll pop off arm hairs without contacting the skin. Perfect edge for an EDC in my opinion.

How about we see if this edge can last me until June?
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

vivi wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:00 am

Finished with very light strokes until I minimized the burr enough to cleanly shave off the 300 grit stone.

Did two strokes per side at 15 degrees with the fine sharpmaker stones using the least amount of pressure I could manage.

The edge feels ragged and catches hard when I run my nail along the apex, but it'll pop off arm hairs without contacting the skin. Perfect edge for an EDC in my opinion.

That’s a great looking edge, it should last a long time. Well formed coarse edges are hard to beat when it comes to time efficiency and long lasting slicing power. Check your PMs if you get a chance.
Wandering_About

For those in need of some relaxation while sharpening, here's a great new product!

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Shar ... 3C309.aspx

MNOSD member #0035
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:57 pm
For those in need of some relaxation while sharpening, here's a great new product!

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Shar ... 3C309.aspx
🤣 gotta get me one of those extra extra medium stones!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

vivi wrote:

That is an exceptional looking edge vivi.

I too, as you know, am a fan of a low angle, low grit edge.
We both know that edge you put on your "Rally round the flag - Rally round the Red, Gold, Black, and Green" Rasta knife (that Steel Pulse song is what popped immediately into my head when I first saw the photos of yer knife.) and I too am a fan of that genre..

... we both know that edge will last nicely, a month. Going until June (so two months) would be interesting for sure.

Thanks for posting up the photos of that very nice edge!
I have a basically identical edge on my Cruwear DLT Endeal (which is very impressive in both it's sharpenability and edge holding).

Though when I ran the LongCreek Ultra today, here locally, I did NOT have the Endela in my pocket, lol. Drop point UKPK insead, hahahaha... and Such an Amazing Day for it too!

u.w.
northvanbamboo

Post by northvanbamboo »

I've used chainsaw file to reprofile e4 in SE to 15 degrees on the sharpmaker and am quite pleased with the result. The file sits nicely on the grooved part of the triangles and keeps the angle consistent. I've used equal amount of pushing and dragging strokes to have the serrations nice and even
Attachments
20230408_151240.jpg
20230408_151145.jpg
Wandering_About

Finally decided to go ahead and reprofile this MagnaCut Sebenza. I do like my CRKs in S45VN, but MagnaCut definitely sharpens up more easily. Both good steels, but I did sharpen this MagnaCut one at the same time as an S45VN one and there was a notable difference. MagnaCut continues to be a favorite steel to sharpen.

MNOSD member #0035
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Wandering_About wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:06 pm
Finally decided to go ahead and reprofile this MagnaCut Sebenza. I do like my CRKs in S45VN, but MagnaCut definitely sharpens up more easily. Both good steels, but I did sharpen this MagnaCut one at the same time as an S45VN one and there was a notable difference. MagnaCut continues to be a favorite steel to sharpen.

Looking good. What angle did you use?
Wandering_About

gunmike1 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:43 pm

Freehand, somewhere in the 10-13ish dps range I suppose. This one must have been a touch thinner to start with behind the edge, as it doesn't have as wide a bevel as a CRK usually gets for me. I did measure it but it was long enough ago that I forgot what it was.

MNOSD member #0035
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:43 am
gunmike1 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:43 pm

Freehand, somewhere in the 10-13ish dps range I suppose. This one must have been a touch thinner to start with behind the edge, as it doesn't have as wide a bevel as a CRK usually gets for me. I did measure it but it was long enough ago that I forgot what it was.
The Insingos are supposed to be a little thinner than the drop point, especially at the tip. I’ll see how mine looks once I sharpen it and thin out the angle.
Wandering_About

Every drop point CRK I've measured thickens a few thousandths toward the tip. Insingos are pretty consistent the whole length of the edge.

MNOSD member #0035
Wandering_About

The 15V PM2 needed a touch up, so I took care of that this morning. 1000 grit diamond then strop with 1 micron diamond.

MNOSD member #0035
vivi

Post by vivi »

vivi wrote:

Managed to chip the edge today.

Not sure how. I did use this knife to chop through some briars today. Maybe I hit something metal and didn't realize it? I've done this sort of thing a million times with Pacific Salts with no edge damage.

Oh well. I'm gonna ride it out. Knife still cuts ok so no touch-ups. Leaving the edge as is.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks for the update Vivi!