Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by kennethsime »

vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:37 pm
Nope, I reprofiled the tip to bring it inline with the hollow grind.
Thought so! I haven't held a Pac Salt in about 15 years so wasn't quite sure. ;)

Very well done, Vivi. :cheap-sunglasses
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

just got this in the mail today

shapton pro 5k. gonna test it out on my 8" work gyuto I keep polished.
:unicorn
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Have that stone Vivi (among other Shaptons) and I think you'll like it.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched but could not find much of answer. I am looking to get a guided system for sharpening without spending a fortune. I was looking at the Work Sharp Precision Adjust Elite Knife Sharpener for $120 hard but noticed the basic KME RPSH Combo Kit Knife Sharpener - with Base was $185 ($160 without the base. Is the basic KME with the extra money or would the Worksharp work just fine? Anyone own or tried both? Thanks.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:05 pm
Have that stone Vivi (among other Shaptons) and I think you'll like it.
used it on my new gyuto today and I'm happy with it.

it has a really nice feel, better than I expected. I thought it would feel slicker but it has a good bite for such a high grit stone.

think a shapton glass at 8k or higher might be next.

It's funny how different I sharpen work knives vs my spydies
:unicorn
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I've got a couple Shapton glass stones (3? can't remember) and I find them a little courser in use than the Pro's. I've got the Shapton Pro in 8k but not in the glass stone. As in all things, YMMV. I do look forward to hearing your experience.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:32 pm
Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched but could not find much of answer. I am looking to get a guided system for sharpening without spending a fortune. I was looking at the Work Sharp Precision Adjust Elite Knife Sharpener for $120 hard but noticed the basic KME RPSH Combo Kit Knife Sharpener - with Base was $185 ($160 without the base. Is the basic KME with the extra money or would the Worksharp work just fine? Anyone own or tried both? Thanks.
I got the regular Worksharp Precision Adjust on sale on Amazon for $40 and it is fantastic for the money. I think the Elite gives you more grits. My one complaint is that the "Tri-Brasive" stone carrier makes it very difficult to hit the very heel of most Spyderco knives, which means you have to be real careful if you're reprofiling all your knives down to 15º.

The KME still has a lot more options, so if you're trying to really geek out I would probably go that route. But the WS is a-ok and gets the job done.

I still use the Sharpmaker more, though.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sustratiotes

Post by sustratiotes »

I use the KME more than the WSP, but use the Sharpmaker more than the other two combined. Add the diamond or CBN rods to the Sharpmaker and you're set.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:19 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:32 pm
I got the regular Worksharp Precision Adjust on sale on Amazon for $40 and it is fantastic for the money. I think the Elite gives you more grits. My one complaint is that the "Tri-Brasive" stone carrier makes it very difficult to hit the very heel of most Spyderco knives, which means you have to be real careful if you're reprofiling all your knives down to 15º.

The KME still has a lot more options, so if you're trying to really geek out I would probably go that route. But the WS is a-ok and gets the job done.

I still use the Sharpmaker more, though.
I just got the Sharpmaker and was thinking of getting the CBN stone soon, do I even need a guided system or is that a nice to have? I am not looking to reprofile but to keep the edge as close to factory as possible. I figured a guided system would be the best to put/keep the factory edge on after a year or so of using the Sharpmaker.

1. Get the Sharpmaker CBN stones?
2. Put the CBN stone money towards a KME?
3. Buy both or is that a waste?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Been using my Precision Adjust with the upgrade kit on my Zaan over the past couple days. I've said it before, CRK sure makes some awesome knives, but i'd take a Spyderco factory grind over CRK's 10 out of 10 times. Up near the tip was so obtuse on this thing, no wonder it sucked at cutting. Still have a little ways to go, but finally pretty even at an angle I'd like to take lower, but will see how it performs at 19 dps. I'm fairly decent at free hand, and this is one of those knives I would have tried to hog off more steel on my DMT benchstones...but honestly, I was a bit timid with this knife. Didn't want to chance messing up!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:02 am
I just got the Sharpmaker and was thinking of getting the CBN stone soon, do I even need a guided system or is that a nice to have? I am not looking to reprofile but to keep the edge as close to factory as possible. I figured a guided system would be the best to put/keep the factory edge on after a year or so of using the Sharpmaker.

1. Get the Sharpmaker CBN stones?
2. Put the CBN stone money towards a KME?
3. Buy both or is that a waste?
The guided system is still nice to have, check Rick (TkoK83Spy)'s post above feature his Umnamzaan. But man, the Sharpmaker with the CBN rods sure does get a LOT of work done.

Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Touched up and ready for the week to come. (The bad scratches near the tip are from getting a little wild with an Atoma 140 grit plate back when I did the reprofile.) Today it was 1000 grit super vitrified diamond stone, then hard smooth leather strop with 1 micron diamond spray.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, I thought I had grabbed my Cruwear Shaman this morning, but in the early morning light I mistook Green Canvas for Natural Canvas so I did a few hours of demo work with the M4 Shaman instead - mostly cutting up weathered vinyl tarps, old paracord, and popping zip ties.

I do think I managed to nick the blade on some aluminum round tube, or maybe a but or bolt. Luckily, I have some CBN rods coming in the mail this Thursday, along with fresh Brown rods (I cracked my last set in half), and even a pair or Ultrafines. Very stoked to have a nice full progression of stones for the Sharpmaker soon.

I'll try to take before + after photos, but I don't think my iPhone captures up-close stuff too well.

Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20221005-094814_Gallery.jpg
Just some maxamet I sharpened up this morning. I used the spyderco cbn benchstone for this edge. I put an 800 grit finish bcuz that's what my edge retention ish testing is set at. I think I'm about 75 knives into the cbn benchstone thus far.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:03 am

Just some maxamet I sharpened up this morning. I used the spyderco cbn benchstone for this edge. I put an 800 grit finish bcuz that's what my edge retention ish testing is set at. I think I'm about 75 knives into the cbn benchstone thus far.
I was looking at that stone too, I ended up getting the CBN rods for the Sharpmaker for now. How is the Spyderco CBN stone vs other big name diamond/CBN stones?
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:36 am
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:03 am

I was looking at that stone too, I ended up getting the CBN rods for the Sharpmaker for now. How is the Spyderco CBN stone vs other big name diamond/CBN stones?
Well it's a very thin stone for starters. The 400 side is holding up a little better than the 800 side. I prefer the edge of the 400 cbn over my dmt 325 blue. In terms of durability, I haven't found it to be superior than my DMTs. But I definitely prefer the edge finish of the spyderco. Against the veneevs I would say I like it more. Doesn't load as much puts a good edge for the grits it has I don't form burrs on my veneevs. Just refine the apex on them bcuz of the resin binder. And partly bcuz I have the 6x1 stones. I think veneevs are great for fine polishing, but a set of strops works just as well. I'm currently testing 4 micron spray on 220 grit aluminum oxide sanding sponges with great success. I also have the triple b super vit 400 which outclassed everything in terms of cut speed, pressure, and edge finish. It's a stone you can apply pressure to and it's not affected. Now my favorite 800 grit stone is the king neo. The 800 spyderco is not bad, but I'm seeing signs that it's not going to hold up how the 400 side is. And I'm pretty gentle with those coated stones. I would probably not buy a replacement but I have soo many options at my fingertips. I dont own any Atomas or Ultrasharps. The cbn stone broke in pretty quick. Hope that answers your question.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, DLT sure does ship fast. Got my CBNs, UFs, and new brown rods in today. Promptly got them opened and dropped one of my new brown rods on the kitchen floor. :woozy Luckily, not much damage.

Promptly took the M4 Shaman to it and managed to take out the nick pretty quickly. The CBNs definitely took some getting used to - I'm definitely wary of ripping the abrasives out of the nickel coating. The Shaman should be good for the rest of the week, and I'll try to do a more thorough job over the weekend.

Also got this bad boy, and am pretty stoked on it. What a simple, elegant solution - I love that the suede case doubles as a stabilizer. This'll go in my camp bag for sure.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I was pretty happy with the edge on my Shaman yesterday, but I was up late last night so I took it to the strop. Shaves phone book paper real good now.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

These two came in the same box today, and they’re just so similar that I couldn’t help but compare the edges.

Using yellow phone book paper, the PM2 sliced effortlessly. It both grabbed the paper and moved through it with grace. I’m no expert, but I think this indicates a very clean apex.

The Bugout struggled to make a clean cut. It would initiate, but quickly got caught up on itself. The edge was almost embarrassing - I would say it was quite toothy, but more than that - it must have had a hanging burr, or something of the sort.

Luckily, the edge is very thin - sharpening a Bugout is almost as easy as sharpening a Swiss Army Knife. With just a few strokes on the brown rods it was slicing clean, then I polished it up on the Fines + Ultrafines.

Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Has anyone used these? I’m also thinking about getting some spyderco cbn and ceramic stones what would y’all recommend and where should I buy from? https://www.gritomatic.com/collections/ ... ed-diamond
"Some call me...Tim?"