Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks JR, I will take a look.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Put a fresh edge on my Pacific Salt, the knife I'll be carrying tomorrow.

https://streamlala.com/Gfa3z/

$12 diamond stone, 300 grit side, dry with no follow up. Tough to see but it sent some of those flying.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:41 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:26 pm
cabfrank wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:51 pm
It would be great if Spyderco made coarser Sharpmaker stones, for those of us less skilled at freehanding. Come to think of it, my Sharpmaker is ancient, and I should be looking at a newer model anyway. Unfortunately, I missed the $50 ones in the crazy deals thread.
Some people have used Moldmaster triangle stones from Congress Tools. Not a perfect fit, but they have gotten good results from the Moldmasters.
More coarse than the Diamond or CBN stones?
Yes. Grits as low as 80. See 1/2" triangle stones. https://www.congresstools.com/catalog/c ... ory/?id=27
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

https://streamlala.com/vw69k
Dunno if the video will link but heres a pushcut thru newspaper with my s35vn pm2. This was after a 400 grit super vit triple B stone that measured 125 grams on my bess tester scale.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Video link works. Nice job. The Triple B hyper-stones are really something!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Took the Rex 45 Para 3 LW and the K390 Stretch down to 15° PS over the weekend with the Work Sharp Precision Adjust. 320 grit diamond, 600 grit diamond, followed by "fine ceramic."

The clip side of the P3LW needed a lot more work than the show side. Experimented with clamping positions to try to hit the whole bevel. I think I did ok - although the edges aren't particularly pretty, they cut like nobody's business.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

If anyone is curious, Work Sharp answered my question about the grit of the ceramic.
They said it's between 1000 and 1200
Pretty low for the grit pattern it leaves but I trust them!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I tried taking my Manix 2 Lightweight down to approximately 15 DPS over the weekend with the WS Precision Adj. Clamped it right in front of the spydie hole and positioned it parallel with the flat part of the blade then turned it slightly towards the point. So the clamp ends up not quite parallel to the flat, but opened up to the point just a bit.

Anyways, I noticed after awhile that 1 side had a much larger bevel than the other. I have done the same with other knives and the bevels look even, so not sure what I did differently this time around. This is the first time on this model.

Anyone else have bevels come out uneven on a WH Precision Adj. or similar system?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:00 am
I tried taking my Manix 2 Lightweight down to approximately 15 DPS over the weekend with the WS Precision Adj. Clamped it right in front of the spydie hole and positioned it parallel with the flat part of the blade then turned it slightly towards the point. So the clamp ends up not quite parallel to the flat, but opened up to the point just a bit.

Anyways, I noticed after awhile that 1 side had a much larger bevel than the other. I have done the same with other knives and the bevels look even, so not sure what I did differently this time around. This is the first time on this model.

Anyone else have bevels come out uneven on a WH Precision Adj. or similar system?
Since you layed the angle down, any unevenness in the primary bevels of your knife is gonna be increased. Maybe the factory grind favors one side more than the other and this results in a larger bevel on the opposite side.
I've seen it using the WS Precision Adjust but even with freehand. IMHO it does not come from the system, and more from the knife itself.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:29 am

Since you layed the angle down, any unevenness in the primary bevels of your knife is gonna be increased. Maybe the factory grind favors one side more than the other and this results in a larger bevel on the opposite side.
I've seen it using the WS Precision Adjust but even with freehand. IMHO it does not come from the system, and more from the knife itself.
It was slightly uneven from the factory, but not terrible. I did have an Endela that was very uneven from the factory. Didn't have that issue when sharpening, but I only went to approximately 17DPS.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:45 am
Ramonade wrote:

It was slightly uneven from the factory, but not terrible. I did have an Endela that was very uneven from the factory. Didn't have that issue when sharpening, but I only went to approximately 17DPS.
Maybe it's a combination of several factors. But since you clearly have sharpened knives plenty of times I do not see you spending way too much time on one side !

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:15 pm
JSumm wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:45 am
Ramonade wrote:

Maybe it's a combination of several factors. But since you clearly have sharpened knives plenty of times I do not see you spending way too much time on one side !
Maybe I spent too much time on that one side. One thing is for sure, it has to be user error. Always learning. I will say it was my first time sharpening Spy 27. And I like it as I do VG-10 in that a beginner sharpener can get a crisp edge fairly easily.
Last edited by JSumm on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I allowed myself to post my first message because I've seen slightly uneven secondary bevels become way more uneven once the edge has been laid down 4 or 5° !
It's always a good practice to put an issue to user error, allows one to better himself ^^.

With that system, even reprofiling is pretty fast. However, when reprofiling, a lot of people tend to use too much pressure, and this can lead to a side taking too much of the grinding.

It is anyway a problem that can easily be fixed with the next few sharpenings. If the edge cuts well now, that's the most important !

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

That is ultimately where I ended up. I have it screaming sharp to my standards, and I always figure it better to adjust and correct with the next few sharpenings. From a practical point, it works extremely well, just looks odd.

I will say, I do need to grab the WS upgrade kit for this device. I think the lower grit for reprofiling would be the best part of the upgrade. Just to use for the first sharpening.

Thanks for the feedback!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

SPY27 - It will push cut through paper and pop hairs with little movement on my hand. I think that is a testament to SPY27. I always slice some paper to check sharpness, but not sure I have ever had a knife push cut through paper.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'll get the N5 LW in this steel next to see how it behaves under my (somewhat) sharpening skills !

For now, the steels I've got the sharpest are k390 and S35VN
I bought my first pm2, a CQI S45VN but I barely used it yet !

PS : I'll buy the upgrade kit in january. I already have a 4" stone hlder for it with venev stones, and it's crazy good. However, I like the case that comes with the upgrade kit and the tribrasive rods are made for the tribrasive, not the stone holder I've bought. (I recently got aluminium blanks for it tho, and a ton of diamond pastes to try :smlling-eyes )
Last edited by Ramonade on Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

missclick

vivi

Post by vivi »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:50 pm
SPY27 - It will push cut through paper and pop hairs with little movement on my hand. I think that is a testament to SPY27. I always slice some paper to check sharpness, but not sure I have ever had a knife push cut through paper.
When I ran polished edges I'd test my edges by push cutting receipts. Had a roll of receipt paper in my sharpening toolbox for that reason.

Less applicable for my 200 grit edges. But those still slice a receipt just fine.
:unicorn
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:04 pm
JSumm wrote:
When I ran polished edges I'd test my edges by push cutting receipts. Had a roll of receipt paper in my sharpening toolbox for that reason.

Less applicable for my 200 grit edges. But those still slice a receipt just fine.
Same, i stop at 320 or 400 now and it slices receipt paper nicely. Just doesn't push cut it ! (You certainly could make this kind of grit push cut, but i'm not there yet)

I'm going to try to create a more pronounced burr next time I sharpen... Once I have any burr that is present all the way, I switch.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:04 pm
JSumm wrote:

I have a cheap medium/fine abrasive from Home Depot that I'm going to try out to keep it sharp. Just 1 stone. I kind of like the idea of just using a quick block to touch it up quickly and be done with it.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005