Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Even though I really love this knife, it never had performed as great as I had expected. After carrying it the past two days at work it was fairly dull last night. Decided I didn't want to keep relying on the Worksharp, so I took it free hand to the coarse side of my DMT stone. After about 10 minutes I have nice new scratch pattern and a toothy, sharp edge. Hasn't had an edge like this before so I'm excited to see how it does the rest of this week.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

My well used Sebenza after a year of use and sharpening.
Typcal Progression to extra fine on the DMT diafolds then Spyderco UF, stropped 5 micron then 3 micron. Towards the top you can see where I didn't hold the angle and started to round the bevel.
Original bevel was set on a Wicked Edge and subsequently hand sharpened 3 or 4 timed as well as being stropped back many times.
CRK sure did a nice HT on this s35vn! Super easy to get really sharp ;)
Probably time to remove the fatigued steel and get a really crisp edge.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20210902-075259_Gallery.jpg
My 4V manix was due for a new edge. So i used my 800 grit king neo on it. Really enjoy how the manix performs with an 800 grit finish.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:06 am

My 4V manix was due for a new edge. So i used my 800 grit king neo on it. Really enjoy how the manix performs with an 800 grit finish.
That's funny, I did mine a couple months ago. I left it at 600 grit and 15dps...what a fantastic steel! I thought it cut pretty well before, but I wanted to even up the bevels, now it's a darn scalpel!

-Rick
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:32 am
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:06 am

That's funny, I did mine a couple months ago. I left it at 600 grit and 15dps...what a fantastic steel! I thought it cut pretty well before, but I wanted to even up the bevels, now it's a darn scalpel!
No complaints here on this 4V either. This is the fifth edge on this manix. Performance has never let me down. I didnt do bess testing when i was finished, but its most likely hitting around 110 grams. Rough guess the edge angle is 13 dps currently.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Couple of reprofiles today. Neither really needed sharpening (although the Stretch was reasonably close) but wanted to thin both out. Been carrying these a lot lately, and I like thin edges! 1000 grit then strop on the Lil Native, and went up to 3000 grit then strop on the Stretch. Strop has 1 micron diamond.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, my PD1 mule was finally started to dull a bit so I decided to take it down to 15 DPS on the Work Sharp Precision adjust.

****. This is hard steel (I think). It took me two 2-hour sessions and a third one-hour session to remove all the sharpie with a 320 grit diamond stone. A huge sense of relief came over me when I pulled out my loupe and saw no more red sharpie on the blade - however, the relief was quickly replaced by shock as I sliced open my middle finger. :cheap-sunglasses After bandaging, I finished it with 600 Grit Diamond, 1200 Grit Ceramic, then stropped with black and green compound.

I'm always looking for new ways to quantify sharpness - this knife went through a hard block of extra-sharp cheddar like it was butter. Mostly happy.

Unfortunately, I could not for the life of me clamp the knife in such a way as to access the whole edge, so there is a bit of edge at the steel which was not taken down to 15.

Also touched up my Para 3 LW one the sharpmaker and strop.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Began “round 2” of my K390 Endela/Shapton experiment.
623C0C2D-517A-4186-8948-C6F7F0AA866A.jpeg
This will be the second time in a row I’ve sharpened this knife down to .44 micron using my Shapton Glass set. Common knowledge states that 10V class steels don’t do well at all with alumina…but my first round went really well, actually. It might be down to the aggression of the stones, as this series is known to be fairly heavy handed and “quick” for alumina.

First round progression: Shapton 25 micron down to .44 micron. Stropped with 1, .5 and .25 diamond compound. The strops backtrack initially because of K390’s burr-clinging tendency. Put into the rotation for just over 3 months and this afternoon, it stopped whittling hair. This is ENTIRELY qualitative as I haven’t kept fastidious track of the work it’s done…but what I can say is that it’s done roughly the same amount of work as the K390 knives I’ve sharpened using solely diamond progressions. Subjectively, I’ve noticed very little detriment thus far

Second round progression was nearly identical to the first but I’ve gotten some finer compounds in since, so I decided to take it down to .1 micron on the strops. The polish is difficult to capture in pictures but it’s pretty obscene, completely unnecessary but fun nonetheless…at the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about anyway. The knife won’t even whittle hair at .1 micron, it just makes them fall apart…but assuming “carbon tear out” is a factor, I’m almost certainly dealing with it at this point. Not only was the knife rotated, it saw alumina yet again. So we’ll see how this goes…
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I bit the bullet and spent some time on the corners of my diamond SM rods. This took a couple of hours so it was a good activity to combine with some studying. Unfortunate that the grind on the LBHB comes so clumsily thick. After reprofiling I did a few strokes each on brown and white rods. Cuts like a demon now.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think I'll give this guy a new edge while watching some football. It's my only 4V knife I haven't knocked a few degrees off of. I've had good experiences and results with the other 3 I have. I'll likely leave it at the 320 grit coarse side of this stone, with a few passes on the brown rods.

-Rick
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Sharpened both with a Venev F400/F800 OCB diamond waterstone.

Spy27 N5 LW
spy271.jpg
spy272.jpg
spy273.jpg
"Other brand " D2
d21.jpg
d22.jpg
PStone

Post by PStone »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:22 pm
I think I'll give this guy a new edge while watching some football. It's my only 4V knife I haven't knocked a few degrees off of. I've had good experiences and results with the other 3 I have. I'll likely leave it at the 320 grit coarse side of this stone, with a few passes on the brown rods.
[/img][/url]
Ha! I had similar plans :bug-red-white

Cut the shoulders back. Finished on a fine DMT plate and Diaspray strop.

Went outside and cut up an Oktoberfest beer box. Not much cutting but already noticed an improvement in sliciness over the stock convex. Although it’s likely still very slightly convexed just from my freehanding. Still happier now though. Thanks for the tip! :bug-red-white
PStone

Post by PStone »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:22 pm
Sharpened both with a Venev F400/F800 OCB diamond waterstone.

Spy27 N5 LW
spy271.jpg
spy272.jpg
spy273.jpg
Wow! Great pics, great edge, great work! :bug-red-white
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

PStone wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:34 pm
Thank you! The Native took a lot of fiddling because the angles didn't match. It's usually not that big of deal but I didn't want to reprofile so I just matched the existing angles.

This steel keeps impressing me to the point I want to get the whole family of SPY27 knives. Hopefully Spyderco can get some G10 P3's and N5's out soon and maybe even a SS Stretch or Military.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 pm
PStone wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:34 pm
Thank you! The Native took a lot of fiddling because the angles didn't match. It's usually not that big of deal but I didn't want to reprofile so I just matched the existing angles.

This steel keeps impressing me to the point I want to get the whole family of SPY27 knives. Hopefully Spyderco can get some G10 P3's and N5's out soon and maybe even a SS Stretch or Military.
100% Agreed! I also have my fingers crossed for a Millie in this next reveal.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Upgrade kit for the WorkSharp Precision Adjust will be available soon!! I can't wait for this!

https://youtu.be/zrUVk5hH9ZI

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:12 am
Upgrade kit for the WorkSharp Precision Adjust will be available soon!! I can't wait for this!

I saw this being teased last night and thought of you, Rick. I was hoping for a bit more of an explanatory video, but stoked none the less.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
z1r

Post by z1r »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:50 am
Even though I really love this knife, it never had performed as great as I had expected. After carrying it the past two days at work it was fairly dull last night. Decided I didn't want to keep relying on the Worksharp, so I took it free hand to the coarse side of my DMT stone. After about 10 minutes I have nice new scratch pattern and a toothy, sharp edge. Hasn't had an edge like this before so I'm excited to see how it does the rest of this week.

Don't you just love it when a knife you have been struggling with finally gets that "just right" edge?

I reprofiled my ZDP DF2 with my Lansky and thought it was good, til I got my K390 Endela. I dulled the Endela cutting a ton of cardboard and quickly brought the edge back using the Sharpmaker. The recent thread about ZDP vs K390 got me to thinking that I never ran the ZDP DF2 on the Sharpmaker. Well, a couple of minutes on it and WOW!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:08 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:12 am

I saw this being teased last night and thought of you, Rick. I was hoping for a bit more of an explanatory video, but stoked none the less.
In the description for the video there's details on what exactly comes with the upgrade kit.

Watching the video, I don't use the sharpener the way the guy does. I do more of a scrubbing motion all the way from heel to tip and back to the heel, not that swooping motion. How do you use yours, out of curiosity?

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:01 pm
In the description for the video there's details on what exactly comes with the upgrade kit.

Watching the video, I don't use the sharpener the way the guy does. I do more of a scrubbing motion all the way from heel to tip and back to the heel, not that swooping motion. How do you use yours, out of curiosity?
There I go not looking around for the answers, lol. If the kit is $30 or less I'll be stoked - I signed up for early access.

I do the scrubbing for removing lots of material (relatively) quickly, but have transitioned to a sweep or swoop if you will for the finer grits - I'm not sure that there's any real difference other than it seems to allow me to use a lighter touch.

Did you see this video comparing results of different methods?