Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Hi Vivi,

Thanks once again for another great video. Thank you also for sharing your very controlled sharpening technique this will be a big help to me getting bevels as nicely as you do.

Are you still leaning towards your next DMT bring the continuous type surface?

It seems to me the one you used in the video would probably not be as plagued by diamonds coming loose and scratching the flats.

Is this true in your experience?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:34 am
Spyderco makes all three in 8 X2 Medium , Fine and Ultra Fine. I have both the medium and the fine but have held off on the UF because the two of these work so well.

To answer the question yes I do use these stones I found it very useful taking the chips out of a Cold Steel Recon Tanto unscrupulous seller sold to me on eBay.

I have also been using these stones teaching myself how to free hand and so far have brought both a Delica Cruwear and Delica Hap40 Wharncliffe to a very nice degree of sharpness.

Great stones highly recommend them the case is very practical even has silicone feet to keep the unit from sliding while sharpening
Get the Spyderco 302 Benchstone in UF>> you won't regret it. Just the results I've had with wood chisels alone made the Spyderco 302 UF Benchstone more than worth the money I paid for it. I kind of got in on the ground floor so to speak because I got two complete sets of those Spyderco 302 Benchstones even before I joined the Forum.

There isn't a week go by that I don't use all 3 grit selections of my 302 Benchstones for some type of sharpening job. I've heard that the Ultra-Fine stones have gone up quite a bit and I'm surprised that they didn't do it sooner as good as they are.

I use my Ultra-Fine 302 stones and the UF 204 Sharpmaker stones almost daily at times. I don't see how it could be a bad deal even if you don't even use them that much. Because with care they last virtually forever.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I have an Atoma 400 on the way. I did Amazon because I value the fast shipping and I just started my week off. I took another look at the reviews and the 2 people that said the product had changed and that it smoothed out over a handful of sharpenings were from 2017. Plenty of awesome reviews from 2018 and 2019 so I pulled the trigger. It arrives Monday and my Maxamet pm2 arrives tomorrow (my birthday). I'll report on how the stone performs as well as my opinion as to how Maxamet behaves in sharpening.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Glad you found an Atoma.

I will be purchasing a DMT coarse and extra coarse double sided plate the polka dot 8 inch plate.

After watching several of Vivis video the knives are getting a finish I have not seen with other sharpener or continuous plated stones.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:53 pm
Glad you found an Atoma.

I will be purchasing a DMT coarse and extra coarse double sided plate the polka dot 8 inch plate.

After watching several of Vivis video the knives are getting a finish I have not seen with other sharpener or continuous plated stones.
?? The plates are better. Vivi is just a good sharpener. I've used the pokadotted stuff my entire life, nothing really wrong with it. But plates last longer and cut better.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:57 pm
Glad you found an Atoma.

?? The plates are better. Vivi is just a good sharpener. I've used the pokadotted stuff my entire life, nothing really wrong with it. But plates last longer and cut better.
I'd agree. I'm ordering a coarse continuous soon. I have both types and sometimes tips can get hung up on the holes.
:unicorn
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Glad you found an Atoma.

When the diamond grains on the plate wear down over time the finish will get less rough, but is no longer making the same grit finish or cutting speed like when it started.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:38 pm
Glad you found an Atoma.

When the diamond grains on the plate wear down over time the finish will get less rough, but is no longer making the same grit finish or cutting speed like when it started.
Of course, but this was a plate vs normal DMT hone topic.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:41 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Glad you found an Atoma.

I see, seems to me in order to compare them they would both have to be new since the wear is the most significant factor.

I believe the dot matrix was for making pockets for the metal particles to go so they don't clog the stone.

I had a DMT alingener kit once upon a time and a continuous plate. Seemed to me with the dot matrix it was just a clever way for DMT to not have to add as much diamond. :D
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:53 pm
Thanks Cambertree appreciate all your suggestions and advice.
No worries, my friend. :)

The loose particles of diamonds coming free of the nickel matrix of coated plates is only really an issue during the initial break in process. I tend to run the flat of a plane iron lightly back and forth over a new plate for a few minutes, and start off with reprofiling a few cheap kitchen knives for family or friends.

The finish and crisp edge that Vivi is able to achieve with the coarse plates is very interesting and I've been enjoying experimenting with just using a single coarse diamond stone to produce very sharp edges. The coarse stropping a couple of times per side with 60 micron paste is very effective too. If I go up to a light 10 micron diamond paste strop on balsa, I get a very crisp smooth edge which is quite similar to going through a three stone progression. It's much faster to achieve of course, and I may experiment with sharpening knives for friends and family like that, and see what they say.

Basically the coarser diamonds, due to their larger surface area only really cut with their points and high spots, so this is why they actually can achieve a very good quality crisp edge, and a relatively fine scratch pattern. As Vivi shows, the key is a very light touch.

The finer, smaller diamonds on the F and XF plates dig deeper into the steel, and actually produce heavier 'ploughing' and a more ragged apex.

I've referred to these pictures before, but the concept is illustrated by these pics from Thescienceofsharp blog:

https://scienceofsharp.com/2015/03/01/t ... ogression/

Also here's some pics of new diamond plates being broken in. I find it helps to be able to think of what the abrasive surface looks like:

https://scienceofsharp.com/2015/09/28/d ... in-part-2/

Using lighter and lighter pressure was the main challenge I faced in using diamond plates and rods effectively, and I guess it's a common issue.

Reporting on my S30V PM2, I've been experimenting with, I'm very pleased to say that the edge seems to be stabilising, and holding a keen razor sharp apex without microchipping.

As Jpm2 mentioned with his Sage, it took quite a bit of aggressive resharpening to remove the brittle steel and get down to the good stuff. I'll probably have to reevaluate my opinion of S30V a bit now, as I'm really enjoying this knife. I'm liking it all the more due to the advice from you all, and the persistence in troubleshooting the brittle apex helping to produce good results.

Basically every time I saw microchipping appear at the apex in the 10x loupe, I'd go straight to the Sharpmaker diamond rods in the 15dps setting and scrub away more steel. I must have done this at least 10 times to get to this point.

I also tentatively applied a light 20 dps microbevel with the brown rods, and have been pleased to see that it produced a crisp keen edge which has held up fine over the last week. Previously, the ceramic rods would produce extensive microchipping all along the edge.

Examining the current edge after about a week, I see some normal signs of wear, but was excited to see a very small, light roll up near the tip. This indicates that hopefully, I'm past the brittle, microchipping steel.

Anyway, thanks for the helpful advice all, this S30V PM2 has been given a new lease of life, and I've been enjoying carrying and using it a lot. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:00 pm
I have an Atoma 400 on the way. I did Amazon because I value the fast shipping and I just started my week off. I took another look at the reviews and the 2 people that said the product had changed and that it smoothed out over a handful of sharpenings were from 2017. Plenty of awesome reviews from 2018 and 2019 so I pulled the trigger. It arrives Monday and my Maxamet pm2 arrives tomorrow (my birthday). I'll report on how the stone performs as well as my opinion as to how Maxamet behaves in sharpening.
I've heard really good testimonies about those Atoma Diamond benchstones. I've also had great overall results with the DMT sharpening tools I own as well. I would like to know more about those Atoma Diamond benchstones?

Here lately I've been doing a lot of my primary sharpening work with some of my diamond stones and doing the finish work with many of my Spyderco ceramic stones>> and mostly with my Spyderco 302 Benchstones. It sure makes for a great sharpening regimen of which I'm having very consistent results.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:05 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
Glad you found an Atoma.

I see, seems to me in order to compare them they would both have to be new since the wear is the most significant factor.

I believe the dot matrix was for making pockets for the metal particles to go so they don't clog the stone.

I had a DMT alingener kit once upon a time and a continuous plate. Seemed to me with the dot matrix it was just a clever way for DMT to not have to add as much diamond. :D
Absolutely. I'm sure there's pro and cons like there is with anything else, but they found a way to make s*** cheat as f***.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:41 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

Absolutely. I'm sure there's pro and cons like there is with anything else, but they found a way to make s*** cheat as f***.
Agreed. But at least they do charge less for the dotted stones. My XC that I've been using for over a decade was a hair under $30. Seems I got my money worth.

Pelagic, I'll be interested seeing your comparison between DMT and Atoma, since you use and like DMT's like I do.
:unicorn
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:18 pm
Reporting on my S30V PM2, I've been experimenting with, I'm very pleased to say that the edge seems to be stabilising, and holding a keen razor sharp apex without microchipping.

As Jpm2 mentioned with his Sage, it took quite a bit of aggressive resharpening to remove the brittle steel and get down to the good stuff. I'll probably have to reevaluate my opinion of S30V a bit now, as I'm really enjoying this knife. I'm liking it all the more due to the advice from you all, and the persistence in troubleshooting the brittle apex helping to produce good results.

Basically every time I saw microchipping appear at the apex in the 10x loupe, I'd go straight to the Sharpmaker diamond rods in the 15dps setting and scrub away more steel. I must have done this at least 10 times to get to this point.

I also tentatively applied a light 20 dps microbevel with the brown rods, and have been pleased to see that it produced a crisp keen edge which has held up fine over the last week. Previously, the ceramic rods would produce extensive microchipping all along the edge.

Examining the current edge after about a week, I see some normal signs of wear, but was excited to see a very small, light roll up near the tip. This indicates that hopefully, I'm past the brittle, microchipping steel.

Anyway, thanks for the helpful advice all, this S30V PM2 has been given a new lease of life, and I've been enjoying carrying and using it a lot. :)
Glad to hear the edge is getting better, you'll be fighting burrs in no time. :)
I've experienced this to minor degrees with most other factory edges in all sorts of steels, just not as severe.
Hopefully others might read this and be curious enough to see if the same thing works for them.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Deadboxhero wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
Glad you found an Atoma.

Makes good sense new to new is the way to go otherwise no meaningful comparison can be made.

I have worn out the 100 grit stones in my wicked edge pro 3 to the point where the 200 grit stones cut more aggressively.

Hard to tell what Vivi is cutting with now with an old used DMT Polka Dot. It will be interesting to see how his finishes come out when he gets his new DMT Continuous stone.

As for me still curious, will polka dot up just to see what it is like compared to what are for all intents and purposes new Atomas I have purchased.

Hey Sean and Cambertree what about the vitrified CBN I have only seen them and diamonds for sale in Europe and good sources state side?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:14 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:

Makes good sense new to new is the way to go otherwise no meaningful comparison can be made.

I have worn out the 100 grit stones in my wicked edge pro 3 to the point where the 200 grit stones cut more aggressively.

Hard to tell what Vivi is cutting with now with an old used DMT Polka Dot. It will be interesting to see how his finishes come out when he gets his new DMT Continuous stone.

As for me still curious, will polka dot up just to see what it is like compared to what are for all intents and purposes new Atomas I have purchased.

Hey Sean and Cambertree what about the vitrified CBN I have only seen them and diamonds for sale in Europe are there any good sources state side?
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I was having issues with the edge rolling on my AEB-L Urban after I dropped the bevel angle so I added a microbevel but still wasn't happy with the way edge held up. I then decided to try adding a little convex to see if it helped...so far it's looking good. No rolling and still super charp.

Sharpening steps:
400 grit Venev (remove microbevel)
1200 grit Venev
Stropped with 6 micron paste on soft leather (create convex)
A few stopping passes on the 1200 Venev (re-crisp apex)
1 micron on basswood
.25 micron on basswood

-Turbo
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Looking good, looks like that steel takes to polishing very nicely.

A question when you share that you used Venev diamonds 400 followed by 1200 are these bench stones or the ones sold by Gritomaric for the Hapstone 7.

Pretty sure you free handed this but not certain. Thanks.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 am
Looking good, looks like that steel takes to polishing very nicely.

A question when you share that you used Venev diamonds 400 followed by 1200 are these bench stones or the ones sold by Gritomaric for the Hapstone 7.

Pretty sure you free handed this but not certain. Thanks.
Thanks!

Yes freehand with the Venev 6"x1" set https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Y7R29 ... title&th=1

Note: They now make the 240/400 with the OCB binder (like the 800/1200 stone in the set) but the set above comes with the old version.
-Turbo
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

First time using the Atoma 400.

This thing is COARSE. It is nowhere near broken in yet and I know things will change.

I decided to test it using one of the easiest knives to sharpen on the planet, my byrd cara cara 2 stainless. Each pass was very rough. The knife was already pretty sharp, so I used alternating passes. I never raised a big burr, but at times I could feel a small one after a single pass, which I virtually eliminated on the following pass. I did NUMEROUS alternating passes at extremely light pressure, constantly feeling th edge between passes. The knife got sharp. Extremely sticky, lots of bite at the edge. Feels like it would be a rope aniahlator. However, I could not get this knife to the level of sharpness I prefer. I'm not trying to toot my on horn, but I am a skilled sharpener and I cannot yet achieve hair whittling sharpness off this brand new Atoma 400. It is so coarse that I believe my DMT 325 hone is finer (and off that stone, I can get hair whittling sharpness).

It sets an absolutely beautiful bevel. The feedback is robust. You can certainly feel the bevel dragging across the uniformly positioned spikes on the plate. It cuts extremely well. The only thing lacking is the high sharpness.

Sorry, you have to click on the first pic to view it.

I saw these posts made on bladeforums and they certainly seem to mirror my initial thoughts. Keep in mind, I am only comparing a brand new Atoma 400 to a fully broken in DMT 325. I get significantly higher sharpness off the DMT 325, CURRENTLY.

Those of you at have the Atoma 400, how does it wear? does the break in period eventually yield higher levels of sharpness? I realize this is mostly a lapping plate, but I will be using it primarily for sharpening.

This is only a first impression, but for now, it does seem perfect for reprofiling, just not ideal for finishing... yet.

And I have not stropped the edge to see what that does. I was purely curious about the edge straight off the stone. I will report back as the stone wears. I should have some Maxamet tomorrow, maybe that will calm this Atoma down some.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?