Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by Bloke »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:02 pm
Bloke, I've used the Chosera nagura stone to scrub the Venevs, but currently I use a rather soft natural nagura stone, as I figure it removes less of the binder material, and extends stone life, as the diamonds only extend to about 1mm depth.
Thanks Camber! :cool:

I've got a few natural stone naguras too I could try but now I'm thinking I haven't seen any clogging because I very lightly lap them on 1200 loose grit SiC which must do the same thing. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:10 pm

I've got a few natural stone naguras too I could try but now I'm thinking I haven't seen any clogging because I very lightly lap them on 1200 loose grit SiC which must do the same thing. :)
Cheers Bloke! :)

Yep, I daresay it has the same effect. Also wanted to thank you for the Windex tip. I used to use a bit of dishwashing liquid on the Atoma plates, but a spritz of window cleaner works great, and leaves them much cleaner. Ajax powder seems to work great to lift all steel residue off ceramic rods/stones.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:04 am
Bloke wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:10 pm

Cheers Bloke! :)

Yep, I daresay it has the same effect. Also wanted to thank you for the Windex tip. I used to use a bit of dishwashing liquid on the Atoma plates, but a spritz of window cleaner works great, and leaves them much cleaner. Ajax powder seems to work great to lift all steel residue off ceramic rods/stones.
Too easy mate! :)

Windex is a bit of a game changer I reckon. It’s cleaner than using water and when your done just run stones under the tap and they’re near spotless. It works on SharpMaker rods too even though they’re not porous and it doesn’t soak in it stops any build up on the ceramics and you can see the swarf run down the stone.

It’s a little messy on the SharpMaker so I seldom use. It’s best applied with a half inch artists brush or similar and you’ll certainly feel the difference to a dry stone. ;)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Thank you Cambertree what you say makes allot of sense concerning the Atoma for fast stock removal. I actually purchased the SIC powder when I purchased the Hapstone 7 it is a nice kit with different grades of powder and a round glass plate for lapping.

Truthfully I never used it. I just put the lowest grit 120 Stone to work and being familiar with the Wicked edge was astonished how little aggression it truly had and stopped using it within minutes as I was getting no where quick with S90V.

Here is something I wish to point out as an owner of two premium sharpening systems and share some thoughts.

The WEP3 and the Hapstone 7 sharpen much differently.

The clamp system WEP3 is extremely accurate with a digital angle cube but, but.... It locks your sharpening into very acute angles you can not get wide bevels when using this system and if you get down into low angles what happens is you get very funky grinds.

Imagine a steeple /\ going towards apex it will apex perfectly with a narrow bevel but you will wind up with a thick ugly ledge leading to the flats of the blade. I know because I attempted to drop the angle and match the un-even bevels on the S90V Military shown earlier.

Here is a bigger picture This shows the condition of the 100 grit WEP stone and yes I had to trim the stupid plastic off to get in tight where the blade stops on almost all Spyderco knives.

You can see there is some unevenness in the grind towards the tip something still to be worked out. Now this was done on the Hapstone 7 and you can see the wide bevels which I like because this is thinning things out behind the edge as the angle is dropped without an abrupt step as occurs with the WEP3 clamp system.

Honestly thought the bevels are wider than I would have done on purpose this knife was that badly screwed up by the previous owner that it required such wide bevels to try and even them out.

With the Hapstone 7 the more you grind at a set low angle the wider the graduated bevel becomes as it is working off metal heading in the direction of the spine. This is also true of the WEP3 Clamp-system but it peters out and you get a step or ledge where the grind become flat which can be pretty severe. Yes all FFG Spydercos come from the factory this way there is thin ledge a bump and then the flats.

I can think of several reasons why this is but none of them can lead to optimal cutting if that step were blended into the flats. The factory grinds are not that abrupt some of the shared pictures here are and so are the lower angles reground on the WEP I consider this must be from the clamp system and the way it achieves perfect angles.

I have shared a picture of this in the past and it was compared to a Scandi grind which I guess is more of what it is now but in the end I intend to do a 15% Back Bevel.

Recently I started doing another Military in CTS 204P and decided to go down to 10 degrees. This time having the low angle adapter for the WEP3 I see a little different thing happening but not much bevels are a bit wider but I still see the abrupt step from bevel to flats forming.

So I stepped back again saw some very good posts on free handing by Vivi and got some wedges to train myself to freehand sharpening.

Here is a set up I did using my Spyderco Medium stone. It works great. Image

I will consider the Atoma plate for swift stock removal for sure. After watching allot of Big Brown Bears Videos I am getting a better idea of how to thin a knife behind the edge and why it is so important. Problem is I do not think stones are a particularly affordable or practical way of doing this with steels like S30V, S90V, S110V.

The WEP 100 grit shown is shot its opposite side 200 Grit has more cutting power and at around $80.00 it is hard justifying buying stones for heavy re-profiling which I will not do very often when I have the Ken Onion with blade grinding attachment a variable speed motor and it uses Norton belts.

All of this has been bought and paid for long ago but not used as I kept my attention on learning the characteristics of each steel, discovering the ones I like best and going down the rabbit hole of Spyderco collecting and then selling unused and duplicate models to dig myself back out.

Lol, Now my focus is turning back to sharpening after discovering what I do like and prefer.

I believe even though the Ken Onion is not a heavy duty hard use knife makers machine it will be more than adequate for my needs of heavy stock removal as long as I follow BBB's advice and feel the blade for temperature and keep a bucket of water nearby to cool it before it gets too warm to preserve the temper.

In fact I am considering using it to see if I can finish cleaning up the bevels on this knife and then use Veneve to further refine the apex and polish things out.

So I am thinking next step will be using a low grit Ken onion belt to shape the bevels up a bit and maybe drop the thickness behind the edge a little more.

After that Sand down the flats to get rid of the slurry scratches.

After that fingernail polish the flats and the spine to prevent more slurry scratches.

After that use venve stones to finish up in different grit progressions.

Ok so this ends this long post. If there is an error in my theorized procedure for this military please do point it out and hopefully offer a better solution. :)

Thanks.
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:43 pm
Thank for sharing your experience.

Might want to check the site again the changed the bonding (OCB) on the 400 /600 as well.

https://www.gritomatic.com/products/ven ... 8456031341
Thanks for pointing out that the 240/400 combo stones are now available in OCB, been a while since I purchased my 8x3 bench stone, which usually differ a bit vs the thin ones offered for guided systems.

https://www.gritomatic.com/collections/ ... ed-diamond

It was the lowest grits that didn't get the upgrade 80/150 (yet) :D

Also, enjoying reading your progress with the S90v. Please continue posting updates, super curious how stable that edge will be once you have it all dialed in. Haven't laid down S90V that extreme, but it's the kind of experiments I love to see.
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I sure will this has been a very long term project I have learned by doing but am doing my best to take is easy step back evaluate what I am getting and try some more. S90V is a very resistant steel. Not tobad to sharpen but to reprofile deeply the way I am doing...

I can see why it demands a premium price the cost of abrasives alone to manufacture this stuff into a knife must be pretty high.

This knife has also sat wet for long periods of time without rusting very impressive steel had I done that with M390 and quite a few others there would have been rust for certain.

I fear the edge stability will not be good but for a project that was already ill purchased it was a worthy test subject even if I did pay too much. Oh well play on the Bay and get burned my own fault should have just bought from BBS for the $50.00 it saved me, but then again That $50.00 spent would have never led to so much education in sharpening.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Bloke thank you for the Windex reminder I love Barkeepers Friend but have to wear gloves with it otherwise it tears up my hands.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:51 pm
Bloke thank you for the Windex reminder I love Barkeepers Friend but have to wear gloves with it otherwise it tears up my hands.
You’re most welcome Does, but for Christ’s sake look after your hands at very least till you finish grinding that S90V Millie cause I’ve been waiting with bated breath to see how it works out. :p
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

How effective is SiC powder at flattening SiC stones?

What grit size do you use to flatten?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:39 am

Hey Hitch, loose grit SiC is extremely effective at flattering SIC stones and more than anything the bonding agent is the determining factor.

I use a loose grit that’s lower than the grit of the stone to be lapped. For example, I use 80 loose grit to lap a 120grit stone. :)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Doeswhatever: That's a very interesting project with the S90V Millie. I'll be following with interest. It should be a wicked slicin' machine once you get it done. The good thing about the Sharpmaker is if an acute, thin edge runs into problems with chipping or rolling, then running a SM apex gives instant durability, without sacrificing much edge keenness.

I don't think there's really too many 'right or wrong' ways to sharpen (except for stuff like burning out the temper on powered equipment etc). Some ways are more efficient than others, but as long as we're learning from the experience, and discussions like this thread, it's all valuable in progressing our skills and knowledge.

Also, in regard to flattening stones with SiC or other loose grit, one thing to remember about using a powder which is slightly coarser than the stone's grit level, is sometimes they may come from different standard scales.

Here's a comparison chart which comes in handy:

https://www.gritomatic.com/pages/grit-chart
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:36 am
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:39 am

Hey Hitch, loose grit SiC is extremely effective at flattering SIC stones and more than anything the bonding agent is the determining factor.

I use a loose grit that’s lower than the grit of the stone to be lapped. For example, I use 80 loose grit to lap a 120grit stone. :)
Thanks. I guess I need to buy some glass and SiC powder. I wasn't about to waste my diamond powder, ha.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Bloke wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:11 pm
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:51 pm
You’re most welcome Does, but for Christ’s sake look after your hands at very least till you finish grinding that S90V Millie cause I’ve been waiting with bated breath to see how it works out. :p
Aw darn it now ya went and motivated me, ok, ok this weekend I am going to put some work into it and update the pics. After I cut the grass that is :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I just finished watching a Murray Carter video on thinning out the blade on a pocket knife. https://youtu.be/iJdtCLIGQm8

Is their another way? because according to him DLC blades are going to loose their coating in order to thin them out behind the edge.
vivi

Post by vivi »

They don't lose their entire coating. When you make the bevel wider sharpening at a more acute angle, you'll take a little off in the process.

:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Vivi wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:16 pm
They don't lose their entire coating. When you make the bevel wider sharpening at a more acute angle, you'll take a little off in the process.

Thanks Vivi this was the exact picture I was thinking of and also what has gotten me looking at hand sharpening versus guided systems.

This looks very nice and flat without the step or ledge as I call it where the bevel transitions to the flats.

Would you mind sharing the Grits and tools used to produce such a nice looking edge. I understand what you mean by more acute angle to mean removing that ledge.

Is their a set procedure like for instance lets say I want the bevel to be at 15 degrees so I first re-profile to 15 degrees. This however leaves an ledge at the transition to the flats so after getting the angle I want would I then lay the blade closer to the stone not flat but at a lower angel and just keep going until everything blends into the flats?

Thank you for advice.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:34 am
Spyderco makes all three in 8 X2 Medium , Fine and Ultra Fine. I have both the medium and the fine but have held off on the UF because the two of these work so well.

To answer the question yes I do use these stones I found it very useful taking the chips out of a Cold Steel Recon Tanto unscrupulous seller sold to me on eBay.

I have also been using these stones teaching myself how to free hand and so far have brought both a Delica Cruwear and Delica Hap40 Wharncliffe to a very nice degree of sharpness.

Great stones highly recommend them the case is very practical even has silicone feet to keep the unit from sliding while sharpening
I actually hate those cases for smaller knives- the gap between the case and the stone stop the choil from getting sharpened
Doeswhateveraspidercan

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:56 pm
Spyderco makes all three in 8 X2 Medium , Fine and Ultra Fine. I have both the medium and the fine but have held off on the UF because the two of these work so well.

To answer the question yes I do use these stones I found it very useful taking the chips out of a Cold Steel Recon Tanto unscrupulous seller sold to me on eBay.

I have also been using these stones teaching myself how to free hand and so far have brought both a Delica Cruwear and Delica Hap40 Wharncliffe to a very nice degree of sharpness.

Great stones highly recommend them the case is very practical even has silicone feet to keep the unit from sliding while sharpening
I actually hate those cases for smaller knives- the gap between the case and the stone stop the choil from getting sharpened
I know what you mean, what I do when this is the case is take the stone out wet a paper towel and set it on top of the damp paper towel and go to work.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:57 pm
Vivi wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:16 pm

Thanks Vivi this was the exact picture I was thinking of and also what has gotten me looking at hand sharpening versus guided systems.

This looks very nice and flat without the step or ledge as I call it where the bevel transitions to the flats.

Would you mind sharing the Grits and tools used to produce such a nice looking edge. I understand what you mean by more acute angle to mean removing that ledge.

Is their a set procedure like for instance lets say I want the bevel to be at 15 degrees so I first re-profile to 15 degrees. This however leaves an ledge at the transition to the flats so after getting the angle I want would I then lay the blade closer to the stone not flat but at a lower angel and just keep going until everything blends into the flats?

Thank you for advice.
https://youtu.be/rnuY-Ib2jVg

That's how I applied that edge to the Manix. That's a worn DMT X coarse.

It sounds like what you're after is a V edge with a convexed shoulder. It'd be less work to go full convex. I'd try the sandpaper and mousepad technique. Get a clamp, and clamp down a low grit piece of sandpaper to a mousepad or piece of dense foam. Use edge trailing strokes.
vivi

Post by vivi »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:56 pm

I slipped a bunch of quarters underneath the stone for this reason. They prop it up high enough to avoid the case.