Need help deciding on Wharncliffe and steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Need help deciding on Wharncliffe and steel

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Hi all,

After purchasing my first Delica in Cruwear it has seen lots of pocket time. Wound up buying a second one after a scare.

I thought I had either lost it or tossed it with the shorts in the washer.

Turns out it was still clipped to the shorts but I failed to get the shorts in on that load, thank goodness.

This lead to buying a backup.

I have always liked Wharncliffe now after this Delica I am looking at either a HAP40 or VG10.

This is a hard decision.

I like VG10 allot it is stainless, sharpens to a truly sharp edge very easily and is easy to resharpen.

I have Stetch in HAP40 guess I need to use it and not collect it to figure this out.

So what do the people who have really used both VG-10 and Hap40 in the Delica Wharncliffe have to say about real life use and performance differences?
Cambertree

Re: Need help deciding on Wharncliffe and steel

Post by Cambertree »

I'd be happy with either steel.

My own Wharncliffe Delica is a HAP40, and it's one of my favourite work knives.

I have a normal Delica in VG10 and there's certainly nothing wrong with that steel either, though I'd tend to the HAP40.

To me it behaves just like a souped up carbon steel, takes a great edge too.
Last edited by Cambertree on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I recommend going with the serrated VG-10 version. The serration pattern isn't quite as deep as some of the other Japan models, which allows it to cut smoothly like a plain edge, while still giving you the advantage of a serrated edge.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I always recommend getting the one that is least likely to stay around for the long run, so I'd go with HAP40. I would assume the VG10 version will be more standard production for longer and so it should be easier to get in the future if you end up wanting both.

There was an exception to this once, back when the original Caly 3 VG10 was discontinued but the ZDP version stuck around. Then all of a sudden people were losing their minds wanting the VG10 version again.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I have been using my Stretch in Hap40 happy to say it does sharpen very easy. Have been doing the usual breaking down boxes, Shaving Telephone book paper, using it in the kitchen, getting it wet wiping it on my shirt then back in the pocket, so far no corrosion issues and it has been a hot sweaty day in the garage as well.

Looks like I will be following EvilD on this one and buying the HAP40 version for exactly the reason he has pointed out, will also get the Serrated version.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

After much use , forced use beyond normal have pulled the trigger on a Delica Wharncliffee in Hap40 Thanks guys appreciate the help. Will next be looking at a Wharncliffe Endura.

In the past I had unkind word for the Endura 4 I purchased but after some recent use see the error of my ways. I was caught up on knives with more belly but the Endura's salt Brother the Pacific Salt has changed my mind enough to unbox the Endura and gain fresh appreciation.

It would be nice to see a pacific Salt in LC200N as the H1 I really love just cannot be FFG which is all that holds it back as a Serrated beast.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Hap40 wharnie is a great combo
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks, your kind words and respected opinions were a deciding factor as well.

Gosh it sure is funny, I have learned the value of Spyderco’s less expensive knives and find myself selling my more expensive ones in favor of...

Thin blade stock and ergos.

FRN who would have thunk it???

Dear Sal yer a Genius. Dear Eric a chip off of one heck of a cool block!

Love you guys. Thanks for such a fantastic usable hobby, I really mean it.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The Endura and Delica are timeless classics for a reason. The latter is just a tad too small for my tastes, otherwise I'd own both. They're excellent knives, and I appreciate that they both have a wharncliffe option.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
RussC

Post by RussC »

Hi new to the forums.

I’ve been carrying the Dragonfly 2 Wharnie in VG-10 for a little over a month now for work. I work in grocery and I absolutely love that little monster. Very capable knife.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Had a couple of knives sell so I not only picked up the Delica Wharncliffe in HAP40 but also the serrated version in VG10.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

RussC wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:16 am
Hi new to the forums.

I’ve been carrying the Dragonfly 2 Wharnie in VG-10 for a little over a month now for work. I work in grocery and I absolutely love that little monster. Very capable knife.

Welcome to the forum RussC!
Great choice on the knife. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RussC wrote:
Hi new to the forums.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't have a DFly myself (my "small knife" is the Chap LW), but the Wharnie version of it is very intriguing. Wharnie plus orange handle, and I probably could not resist anymore... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:08 pm
The Endura and Delica are timeless classics for a reason. The latter is just a tad too small for my tastes, otherwise I'd own both...

Endela?! ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:06 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:08 pm
The Endura and Delica are timeless classics for a reason. The latter is just a tad too small for my tastes, otherwise I'd own both...

Endela?! ;)
Maybe one day. I have other models higher on the priority list currently
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
RussC

Post by RussC »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:19 pm
RussC wrote:
Hi new to the forums.

Welcome to the forum RussC!
Great choice on the knife. :)
Thank You and yes I’m glad I purchased it. I do hope Sal sees His way clear to make a Salt version. I’m a huge fan of the Salt series. I think I have owned more Salts than any other Spyderco. Seven that I can think of but I’m probably leaving a couple of them out.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:04 pm
RussC wrote:
Hi new to the forums.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't have a DFly myself (my "small knife" is the Chap LW), but the Wharnie version of it is very intriguing. Wharnie plus orange handle, and I probably could not resist anymore... ;)
Thank You
I have the Chap LW as well. That’s my EDC on my off Days. The Wharncliffe is just a perfect fit for what I do but if I had to carry it as my only EDC I still think I’d be happy.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Yesterday the Delica Wharncliffe serrated came in, Wow in love all over again. Waiting on the HAP 40 PE it should arrive today.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 pm
Yesterday the Delica Wharncliffe serrated came in, Wow in love all over again. Waiting on the HAP 40 PE it should arrive today.
Nice! That version quickly became a favorite when I got it in my hands. It cuts surprisingly smooth for an SE model.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

If you could find one on the secondary market this is the one to have IMO, I wish I had bought a backup. Orange and S30V

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr