Do you immediately sharpen a new Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Re: Do you immediately sharpen a new Spyderco?

Post by bbturbodad »

I usually use them for a day with the factory edge and then I give them a fresh edge. Part of the "hobby" for me is sharpening.
-Turbo
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:05 pm
I usually use them for a day with the factory edge and then I give them a fresh edge. Part of the "hobby" for me is sharpening.
Same here, these days I have to force myself to refrain from immediately reprofiling even though I want to. I've convinced myself that having the knife last longer is worth it. And as I use and enjoy the knife, there's something cool about knowing it will only get better; not just because it will get a more optimal edge in the future, but because it will see a continuous improvement in edge retention as I remove the fatigued steel (which virtually all knives have) in the first 3-5 sharpenings.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:21 am
Well I don’t mind sharpening knives I don’t have time to sit down and just do that for no reason.
I have the skill to put an edge on a blade that is far superior to how it comes from the factory, so I do it. I've also structured my life so that there is time to do anything that I choose.

For those that have neither, they should learn to be happy with an "off the shelf" knife. For those of us who are lucky enough to have both, then there can be great satisfaction involved in creating, carrying, and using the sharpest edge imaginable.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

The only time I sharpen a brand new Spyderco or any knife for that matter is when it’s not shaving sharp.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I'll use it for a half a day or so, maybe a day, usually not as long as two - to see how that initial factory edge performs. By "use" I do mean going out of my way, intentional use, cutting up lots of boxes, various cordage, in the kitchen, etc...
The whole time that little bit of unground metal right at the plunge is glaring at me (lol).
So after I've used it a bit, again - that's usually a half a day to one day, I put it to the stones. I bring the edge all the way back to the plunge, and generally do a slight reprofile ( I sharpen free hand). That's when it gets fun for me. I want to see what the steel/heat treat can/will do with different finishes and profiles.

u.w.
attila

Post by attila »

I generally don't sharpen immediately, but factory edges lose their hair popping sharpness so quick that I find myself at least lightly touching up the edge pretty soon. Once it doesn't cut nicely and I'm bored of light touch ups, I'll do a full sharpening.

There's no reason to waste that initial steel, especially since the (usually) already beefy BTE thickness will only increase, but the allure of improved edge retention of subsequent sharpenings sometimes convinces me to sharpen earlier.

When I do a full sharpening, I'll sharpen it all the way to the ricasso like u.w. described above. I don't do sharpening choils and don't like that unsharpened bit.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Once a new knife with a good edge loses its extreme sharpness, I usually strop it. I will do that till it no longer gives me my desired sharpness. Then I take it to the stones.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I pretty much always do it. Maybe not straight away, but definitely before EDC use.

Thinner behind the edge and a more acute edge apex angle gives better performance for me.

The factory edges are generally pretty good though, maybe with a slight edge to the Golden makers in consistency and sharpness out of the box IMHO. Some Golden edges are impressively sharp for production knives.

But they're still an edge designed for the general user in thickness behind the edge, and edge angle - all Spydercos steels are capable of much more with a bit of regrinding, so why not unlock that increased performance straight away?
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

While I feel Spyderco's factory edges are some of the best, I don't carry a knife until I sharpen it.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I normally reprofile the next weekend.

A week with the factory edge is enough to remind me again why I enjoy much thinner edges!

It’s hard to be satisfied with the performance of a Prius when you are used to a Mustang. :D
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I use the factory edge until it needs sharpening.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I use the factory edge until it needs sharpening... but this may be too much common sense for today's society.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
archangel

Post by archangel »

I have owned or still own only like 40-45 spydies so far. None of them came out of the box dull. Almost all of them were quite the opposite. Only the Szabo folder's sharpness was/is a bit dissappionting, but I got over it since it's anyway not really much of a cutting tool.

If you unpack a new spydie, and as a reflex resharpen it, you're a nutcase - more even than most of us. Not meant as an insult. ;)
Last edited by archangel on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I don't, and although some I've received needed just a little attention, I'd like to say that some others were molecule sharp--like my Stretch V-Toku, Police4, and Wayne Goddard Sprint.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
vivi

Post by vivi »

What in the world is going on here. We're getting a thread of people mocking those who choose to get optimum performance from their tools.

You guys make fun of people at gas stations putting air in their tires too? :p
:unicorn
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I always sharpen immediately to thin the edge out and get the knife to the level of sharpness I prefer. Sure, most factory edges are sharp enough, but it's very satisfying to cut with a knife that I've sharpened to my liking.

There is one knife in my arsenal that still sports a factory edge, and that's the BBS M390 Delica. The edge on that knife looks to be less than 15 dps and came quite sharp.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:43 pm
What in the world is going on here. We're getting a thread of people mocking those who choose to get optimum performance from their tools.

You guys make fun of people at gas stations putting air in their tires too? :p
Different opinions are hard to accept apparently
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I generally use it until it needs attention. Touch ups on a DS2 and strop. The only new knife I reprofiled & sharpened right away was the AEB-L urban.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Hey, if you need a more acute edge, or to be free the factory one, good on you.

But please avoid the whiff that you’re the better man because of your preferences (even for dirty knives...).

I’ve found, thanks to Vivi, the PE H1 keeps its working edge longer if around 10DPS and roughly finished. Were I to get another PE H1 (unlikely), I’d sharpen it immediately to this degree and finish.

A couple of my S30V Sages showed chips on their factory-edge right after I did some gentle whittling. I surmised, perhaps wrongly, the edges had become brittle from the heat of robotic sharpening. I reprofiled them on the Sharpmaker and have had no further chipping. For a while, I reprofiled any new S30V that came in, but not any more.

So, for the most part, I take the factory-edge until it gets just past working-sharp, then, instead of stropping, I reprofile, starting with diamond rods, with the Sharpmaker’s 15DPS “back bevel” and 20DPS “edge”. My workaday world does not insist I reinvent Sal’s wheel.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:46 am
I use the factory edge until it needs sharpening.

CG
This is what I've grown to do over time. I'm fully aware of the performance benefits of putting my own edge on a knife, and I actually thoroughly enjoy sharpening (as it takes me back to the days of lining commercial fishing nets with my father, who taught me how to sharpen), but I have more patience now and enjoy having the blade last longer as well as enjoy the continued increase in performance through future sharpenings. Plus, virtually any new knife I purchase is immediately placed in a probationary period; as in, I don't know exactly how much pocket time it will see. If it doesn't get used, it gets sold, and knives that still have their factory edges generally sell more quickly and for more money (I'm not a flipper, I just try to get 90% of my money back if possible).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?